Recycling programs in UPS facilities

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Maybe an automotive size nozzle would work better if the pumps are already geared for tractors. The truck size ones have a way higher delivery rate.

oldngray

nowhere special
Walkie talkies....lol. The way sups carrying them around in my building, you'd think they're in charge of national security or something....lol.
Transformer,%20Walkie%20Talkie.JPG

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe an automotive size nozzle would work better if the pumps are already geared for tractors. The truck size ones have a way higher delivery rate.
Our pumps are so sporadic in when they work. Some nozzles can do 10gal in 30-45 seconds, others take three times as long. Also heard that some additive or lack of has caused the fittings on the pumps to fail a lot. It would explain why we have 1 out of 4 pumps down at pretty much any given time

konsole

I took the initiative to do the recycling myself a couple years ago. I first approached management about doing the recycling themselves and they wouldnt do it for "cost" reasons, also something about issues with having the recycling trucks on property. I told them I would manage getting the bags full of containers to a spot where the recycling trucks could pick them up, but still management wouldnt go along. So I started with 3 large containers placed around the building for bottles and cans and even walked around the building a few days a week to pick up another 25 drink containers left on the ground. It was absurd that there were recycling bins in the walk paths of everyone and yet still there would be atleast another 25 bottles and cans dropped on the ground for just 1 sort. For the first few years I emptied the bins every week and took the redeemables to the local supermarket, then brought the non-redeemables home and put them out on the street for the recycling trucks to take. The redeemables amounted to $5-10 per week. I eventually tried to bring paper home for recycling but they wouldnt let me do that for the reason of "sensitive information could be on that paper". After a few years I started to lose the motivation a little bit and went to a 2 week scheduling of emptying the bins, plus inside the bins I would always find open drink containers with the liquid spilled out and pooling at the bottom of the bag, chicken bones and banana peels, styrofoam coffee cups, misc. food wrappers, and of course the occasional bottle of urine (luckily rarely ever open). I had to tape signs to the containers telling people to only place plastic and aluminum cans in the bins. Then to top it off it was a chore trying to get more bags for the bins that were large enough for the bins. They had plenty of bags for the smaller trash barrels, but couldnt seem to get the larger bags for the recycle bins. I always got the snide remarks from people when I emptied the bins and carried 2 large trash bags of bottles and cans out to my car. I think I did the recycling for somewhere in the area of 3-5 years, but eventually I got tired of dealing with all the crap so I decided not to do it anymore.