'Removed from Service' for waiting for pick ups.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I reiterate Stockholm syndrome. It’s perfectly normal at every job to have down time. They have brainwashed you into thinking downtime=stealing. If you still have delivery’s left and you are sitting around that’s completely different if you have completed all the work and are waiting for a pickup time you aren’t doing nothing you are waiting for a pickup.
Yah maybe I'm way off base, but I view it the same way.
You don't schedule a server to come in at 3, prep for dinner service and then when prep is done ask them to punch out until you get a patron...no you eat it, that's how business goes. Or the oil change workers, they get paid if no one shows up or not. This is the job I'm given, work as directed.

Do the methods address this issue, I don't recall ever reading this scenario.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Unfortunately I've got the ups store pickup on my route. I'll regularly set there for over 30 minutes after fully loaded. "They don't have anyone else to grab the air," they say. At times it's an hour to hour & a half setting. ORS just can't find anyone else to do it.
I guarantee you they can find someone if you can’t do it.

FromOffTheStreets

I guarantee you they can find someone if you can’t do it.
I know they can find someone else. They just don't like me getting home before 6 for some reason. The young runners (in the same situation) will call & whine and complain about having to set there and wait for the air.
I don't even check in, I just set & collect the extra $

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
You don't schedule a server to come in at 3, prep for dinner service and then when prep is done ask them to punch out until you get a patron...no you eat it, that's how business goes. Or the oil change workers, they get paid if no one shows up or not. This is the job I'm given, work as directed.

Yeah but at the same time you have to be aware of what company you work for and how they do things. It’s easy enough to send a quick message and CYA. There are other hills I’ll die on.

Dumbo

Personally I'll take extra break up to an hour if I don't check in. However, I think it's ridiculous. You should be on the clock your entire shift. If I worked in a restaurant as a cook, or I was a cashier and there were no customers for 2 hours, would I have to punch out, of course not. You are required to be there, stay on your trace, and be available for work. That's what employment is. You shouldn't have to punch out because they don't give a proper dispatch, and I feel the law would be in your side. And if they did fire you for it, I would contact a lawyer immediately and sue them.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

The OP was discovered by security. People are paid to audit delivery records seeking gaps of time where no work is being performed. What you call Stockholm Syndrome those that have been with the company a while absolutely know a driver has to account for every minute or be accused of stealing time . We know without a doubt the company is looking to cut as many people as possible. Its utterly stupid to hand them something so easy to terminate you over.

If the OP saw he was going to have two hours of dead time there is no excuse for not letting management know. It’s just common sense

some1else

Banned
The OP was discovered by security. People are paid to audit delivery records seeking gaps of time where no work is being performed. What you call Stockholm Syndrome those that have been with the company a while absolutely know a driver has to account for every minute or be accused of stealing time . We know without a doubt the company is looking to cut as many people as possible. Its utterly stupid to hand them something so easy to terminate you over.

If the OP saw he was going to have two hours of dead time there is no excuse for not letting management know. It’s just common sense
they have tons of spy technology including their iPads that show exactly how much work you have, how many pickups, pickup time etc. do I really need to send them a message to tell them what they already see on their iPad? your position is that if the supervisor dosnt do their job and check their iPad at least once every 2 hours the driver should be fired?
Same goes for “take a picture of the emergency conditions and text me”. Nope you have a spy camera mounted in the truck so your job and review it yourself.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
they have tons of spy technology including their iPads that show exactly how much work you have, how many pickups, pickup time etc. do I really need to send them a message to tell them what they already see on their iPad? your position is that if the supervisor dosnt do their job and check their iPad at least once every 2 hours the driver should be fired?
Same goes for “take a picture of the emergency conditions and text me”. Nope you have a spy camera mounted in the truck so your job and review it yourself.
If you ever go to panel over stealing time and that’s your defense……… I wish you good fortune

some1else

Banned
If you ever go to panel over stealing time and that’s your defense……… I wish you good fortune
I delivered all my packages / lunch by 1500
My last pickup was 1700
My supervisor was aware of this

Are you messing with me or you think that is a termination. They have you really scared.

This is like you are at a grocery store and there are no customers, your manager is being lazy playing fruit ninja and you Stockholm patients say hey you need to interrupt his video game to say you feel guilty you have downtime. lol

21Savage

If I worked in a restaurant as a cook, or I was a cashier and there were no customers for 2 hours, would I have to punch out, of course not.
Better start vacuuming, mopping, windexing windows or something in that scenario. If you're a cook, start cleaning the kitchen. Not just sit around looking at your phone doing nothing for two hours FOH.

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
I think you’ll get your job back because I kind of believe you’re just new and truly didn’t know the methods when having a light dispatch. New guys here get sent out heavy all the time, probably not used to a good dispatch. I don’t think you viewed what you were doing as dishonest and they probably didn’t send out a message reminding light people to message before coming in or waiting on their pick ups.

We had a similar issue with a driver here one time and they ended up with their job back. It wasn’t over 2 hours but I don’t really see why that matters on a first time occurrence and improper training by management.

El Correcto

god is dead
I don’t think management was scrambling for help if they didn’t notice you sitting there for 2 hours with no deliveries waiting on pick ups.
I delivered all my packages / lunch by 1500
My last pickup was 1700
My supervisor was aware of this

Are you messing with me or you think that is a termination. They have you really scared.

This is like you are at a grocery store and there are no customers, your manager is being lazy playing fruit ninja and you Stockholm patients say hey you need to interrupt his video game to say you feel guilty you have downtime. lol
I think that is definitely a termination for any driver that knows better, but you clearly don’t and that should be your defense.
I think you get your job back if you be humble about your mistake and lean into the I’m so sorry I didn’t know.

You’re not the type of person dumb enough to risk a career over two hours of paid time, you just didn’t know the proper method and it didn’t come to you naturally.

Brownwind

I don’t think management was scrambling for help if they didn’t notice you sitting there for 2 hours with no deliveries waiting on pick ups.

I think that is definitely a termination for any driver that knows better, but you clearly don’t and that should be your defense.
I think you get your job back if you be humble about your mistake and lean into the I’m so sorry I didn’t know.

You’re not the type of person dumb enough to risk a career over two hours of paid time, you just didn’t know the proper method and it didn’t come to you naturally.
Discipline is progressive and used to correct past habits.

With that in mind. The original post mentions he sat for two hours and didn’t think to check in. For the rest of us reading this. How are we going to explain that something isn’t right.