Reparations

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Well, we finally have a current market value for a slave. Much like an insurance company reimburses you for market value on a total loss vehicle.

“In 1850, an average slave in the American South cost $1000-2000.. Today a slave costs about $90 on average worldwide. (Source: Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy. See all Free the Slaves books.)”

Reparations shouldn’t exceed $90/slave.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Well, we finally have a current market value for a slave. Much like an insurance company reimburses you for market value on a total loss vehicle.

“In 1850, an average slave in the American South cost $1000-2000.. Today a slave costs about $90 on average worldwide. (Source: Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy. See all Free the Slaves books.)”

Reparations shouldn’t exceed $90/slave.
Capitalism works, making slaves affordable

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What about all the immigrants who came to this country and became indentured servants/apprentices/slaves without pay
for their sponsors???

I may have some Italian forefathers that went thru this.

I WANT MY MONEY AND WANT IT NOW!!!!!

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
What about all the immigrants who came to this country and became indentured servants/apprentices/slaves without pay
for their sponsors???

4D84C421-5DF2-45BC-9624-1D3E5B6EB582.gif

vantexan

for their sponsors???

Italians didn't come over in large numbers until the late 1800's. Indentured servitude in the U.S. was over by the Revolution and mostly over by the early 1700's.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Italians didn't come over in large numbers until the late 1800's. Indentured servitude in the U.S. was over by the Revolution and mostly over by the early 1700's.
no. there were all kinds of slavery.
back in the early 1900's when my grandparents came here.

vantexan

no. there were all kinds of slavery.
back in the early 1900's when my grandparents came here.
No, there wasn't. There were eventually outlawed practices of owing money to a company that provided you with food and shelter until your pay came in. People were always behind with their payments and held more or less captive until they paid off their debt. But that was a very small percentage of the population. After the Civil War many blacks were held in place with such practices but that was eventually ended. Coal miners dealt with that a lot.

No, there wasn't. There were eventually outlawed practices of owing money to a company that provided you with food and shelter until your pay came in. People were always behind with their payments and held more or less captive until they paid off their debt. But that was a very small percentage of the population. After the Civil War many blacks were held in place with such practices but that was eventually ended. Coal miners dealt with that a lot.
The coal miners got paid in coal script and had to shop at the company store

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

newfie

i think @olroadbeech was making the argument that there were and have been other forms of slavery. Sharecropping which lasted into the fifties could be argued as a form of such.

vantexan

i think @olroadbeech was making the argument that there were and have been other forms of slavery. Sharecropping which lasted into the fifties could be argued as a form of such.
But were Italians enslaved? There were certainly practices that were eventually shut down. Not far from my dad's home in Central Florida there was a "labor camp" back in the 50's. Orange grove owners brought in Haitians to live at the camp and work for much less than local blacks who did most of the agricultural work here. Those Haitians had very few rights. But working in factories that paid very little in the Northeast isn't quite the same as being enslaved.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
The coal miners got paid in coal script and had to shop at the company store
The company store was a burn. There was no escape. You had to use it. They named the price. Nobody had a car and no Wal-mart to drive to if you did.

Lord Jesus don't you come cause I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store.