Reporting ups for egress issues

Grey MIll

~~~Snipity snip snip~~~~
In my 40 years......shaming of Mgt. is usually the only way to effect change. Depending how secure you feel in your position......you can be very vocal and make Mgt. very angry, perhaps causing change(being very clear that this NOT a reason to NOT take action)......or be clandestine and more anonymous.....ever poked a yellow jacket nest? They take great exception.

I have shown and proved that persistence(time and pressure) can cause change and improvements(safety as well as productivity).

Be aware that you will meet great resistance from Mgt., employees and the Union as well as any outside authority. Yes, your fellow employees can be your biggest hazard(reinforced and encouraged by the Union)(up to and including violence). This attitude is on full display on BC. Being noble and all that is commendable.....be aware it can and often has unintended consequences. Pick what hill you are willing to die on.......carefully.
If the battle appears to be fair between you and middleman and the big man then you didn't plan accordingly. Document, record, and then excercise your rights.

quad decade guy

If the battle appears to be fair between you and middleman and the big man then you didn't plan accordingly. Document, record, and then excercise your rights.
I'm old and slow.....

I know who I am.....the "enemy"(if you will) can indeed be on 3 fronts......

Your analogy is a bit vague....

All this "documenting" can actually be illegal or against company policy....no? You bet. It is way more complicated and not so cut and dried...Matter of fact...very subjective....and even none of your business.

Grey MIll

I'm old and slow.....

I know who I am.....the "enemy"(if you will) can indeed be on 3 fronts......

Your analogy is a bit vague....

All this "documenting" can actually be illegal or against company policy....no? You bet. It is way more complicated and not so cut and dried...Matter of fact...very subjective....and even none of your business.
Law supersedes both contract and company policy and prevention of documentation to report a valid safety violation will be going against nlrb policy. Regarding to one of your comments about mine, I purposefully made it vague for multiple reason but main one is to discourage anyone from diving into something an expecting no resistance.

Brownt10

Unfortunately this building has so many anti union members yet they want & collect their grievance checks. They harass other people for turning the belt off when they get slammed as they sit their doing the easy pull. It’s so screwed up

Grey MIll

Unfortunately this building has so many anti union members yet they want & collect their grievance checks. They harass other people for turning the belt off when they get slammed as they sit their doing the easy pull. It’s so screwed up
They're definitely ways to insinuate change without it effecting your fellow union brothers. I've always tried to educate people as much as possible where I work and assist when and where I can assist. But they're always going to be risks and obviously disagreements between union members.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
The company is doing nothing regarding egress & the union only grieves it but not enough is getting done. I’m worried that there could be a real scenario where we need to evacuate the building & might have trouble. What can I do? Can I go to my local fire department & report them? Who can I contact at OSHA?
@Integrity

meritocracy

Article 18 Section 24 of the National Master Agreement states:

"The Employer shall monitor conditions in and around all work ar-
eas including but not limited to sort aisles and areas where vehicles
are loaded or unloaded to ensure that temporary impediments cre-
ated by placed or fallen packages are minimized. The Employer
shall not permit packages, materials, or equipment to be placed
permanently or temporarily within the 28in wide exit access in
front of an exit door or at the top or bottom of a stairway that is part
of an exit access point."

File grievances until it stops. Get other people in your work area to sign onto the grievances if possible. Encourage others to file their own grievances as well.

meritocracy

That's the most difficult part everybody complains but is too afraid to file.
If someone complains about something grievable and I take the time to teach them how to grieve it, they don't do it, and they keep complaining, I just say "I don't want to hear about it anymore either buck up and file or shut up about it"

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
If someone complains about something grievable and I take the time to teach them how to grieve it, they don't do it, and they keep complaining, I just say "I don't want to hear about it anymore either buck up and file or shut up about it"
I have even offered to write them for them, it takes me about 2-3 minutes and they still don't want to do it.

Big Rigger

So is the Union.
Captain Obvious.. another whiner that is trying to convince the masses that you can tolerate someone, including your own self, to sit in front of a bowl of Cheerios that everyone urinated in and all you can do about it is cry like a little child. I really wanted to say bitch but I don't use that language.

Your posting sucks and mirrors the apathetic disease you slyly try to perpetuate without trying to expose yourself being complicit. Four decades of uselessness, depressing and oppressing folks who would otherwise not sit on their hand thinking "wow,, this guy's got it pegged".

That's special. Like gangrene.
SMH