Requirements

rod

Retired 22 years
You could get your 4 year college degree, be $100,000 in debt and sell used cars------ like everyone around here does.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We had a guy that would have his shorts (shortened).
You didn't want to break eye contact with him.
There are two types of shorts you can order. The regular ones that come down to the knee and then the short shorts where the balls hang out. You sure he didn't just order the short ones?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The main requirement for management is to act like scum and kiss the ring of the uppers.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thank you guys for your suggestions, I'll be looking forward to getting my GED.
congrats. it's win-win for you . it will open doors for you at UPS. if you decide to move on it will open doors elsewhere. and it is good for your self esteem.

good luck. ( well luck doesnt have anything to do with it. can't remember what famous person said it but he said " the harder i work , the luckier i get ."

HardknocksUPSer

Lol you may have a point. It was the new hire package handler training.
Yeah most likely looking for management material, hell we have had loaders who had to go to jail soon hired for preload. There's literally no one they will not hire unless your a convicted felon, or a theif. We're loading packages it requires a strong back and a weak mind I believe this job is a great opportunity for those who cannot afford to go to school. Someone must do this job.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
2 requirements? This isnt NASA, our drivers arent flying space shuttles. Lets cut those requirements down to one, a driver's license.
and ability to get dot card, ability to pass road test, ability to pass driver school, ability to qualify, etc.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah most likely looking for management material, hell we have had loaders who had to go to jail soon hired for preload. There's literally no one they will not hire unless your a convicted felon, or a theif. We're loading packages it requires a strong back and a weak mind I believe this job is a great opportunity for those who cannot afford to go to school. Someone must do this job.

You really talked yourself down there, Hardups.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've thought about it but doing PT preload and another FT job almost makes that impossible.
it is not impossible.
And you do not want to go through life without it.
Many areas have it available online. It is not hard, and it is something you need to more than just think about, whether or not Ups is in your future.

DOK

I'm assuming you're still very young so my advice would be to study and take the GED test. Reason for this is you never know what tomorrow will bring. Meaning you can get hurt and become unable to continue your driving career or your interest can change which they often will do. I have three degrees and a career and still work part time at UPS. I worked two full time jobs and attended college full time to pay for my education. Yes it was hard but worth it. Now I have the option to apply for positions that requires only a high school diploma to a master level education. Should I lose my career I'll be okay because I have experience in other areas such as UPS etc. to fall back on. Keep in mind that education is about creating opportunities for yourself. There is nothing worst than feeling trapped especially as requirements for positions are moving towards requiring at least a college degree. Ups is moving towards that direction. The first day of training at UPS the center manager came in and the first question asked was "does anyone have college degrees." So just some food for thought.

Say what, forget the GED, in few short years you'll be makin $100g as a pkg driver. We don't need no stinkin diploma...

clean hairy

The Driver who went into Management has a College Diploma.
So, the $$ he spent on his College degree got him into Management where he will make about the same, or maybe less than what he made as driver.
But, if that is what he wants to do.......

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Thank you guys for your suggestions, I'll be looking forward to getting my GED.

Good choice, and good luck to you. It's a matter of making it easier for yourself to succeed. Just because a few folks survived without a parachute, doesn't mean you are wrong to want one.

Absolutely agree with you! It's a great opportunity for those that don't want to or can't go to college.

clean hairy

I've heard that there's only 2 things I need to become a driver, a high school diploma and driver license. But, what I don't have is a high school diploma since I've dropped out. Have they ever asked you guys to show your high school diploma when you guys signed up to become a driver?
Actually, 4 things make it better.
2 working arms, and 2 working legs!