Requiring Dr's Note For Short Term Illness

herbigharo32

I find it strange that a dr's note is being demanded for missing 2 days of work. This is due to a stomach bug requiring only rest and plenty of fluids. Now I am being told to bring a dr's note. Is this a corporate policy being universally enforced? It should be noted I only missed 4 days of work on the last calendar year. Hence no patterns of improper call ins. I can not imagine it being feasible to demand a dr's note from EVERY person who has a child get sick, care for an elder, etc...

Requiring dr's notes for ailments such as a cold, stomach bug, flu, or other short term absence lasting 3 or less days only creates unnecessary expense and hardship. Even if I did have a dr's note, it would not be released to my supervisor but rather the HR manager. A part timer making an average of $150.00 a week simply will not be able to afford it.

What is the deal with dr's note on non treatable short term illnesses? Even if I did go to a dr, there is no way I can PROVE there was a belly ache because it will have mostly passed by the time I get an appointment. Even with something more severe such as seasonal flu, diagnoses and prescriptions are down over the phone anyways.

Should I just report to work tomorrow and ask for a steward? If this is related to just my supervisor but not rest of building, I would want to be moved to another belt due to obvious trust issues.

This looks very much like a bullying tactic from management first and foremost. I get that people call in when not sick but this is not the answer because those who abuse call ins will just change excuses to something else such as personal emergency, car break down, etc....

542thruNthru

I've never heard of needing a Doc note for missing two days. I know where I am at they cannot require you to get one unless it's 3 days or more.

I would check your contract to make sure and also talk to a steward. If it were me and I found out I was not required to provide a doc note. I would file a harassment grievance to show that I 1. Read and know my rights and 2. Won't be pushed around. But maybe that's just the mood I'm in right now :)

herbigharo32

I thought so as well. Last time I was out for more than several days was due to a knee problem and quite understandably had to furnish UPS FMLA forms. If I was still spilling guts just as bad later into this day, I would see the necessity in seeking emergency medical attention as well as missing several more days of work (FMLA filing). I already decided this is going down with much resistance on my end.

At the end of the day, who wins is less important. Rather, this creates a break in trust with my supervisor. No way I want to continue working small sorts now unless another supervisor starts running it.

jaker

trolling
How long have you been at ups and who is asking for the doctor note , your belt sup or someone higher

Just take the days you need and wait for them to push the issue when you come back and if they do get your steward and go face them

CHALLY9TX

Check your supplement. Ours requires a note after 5 days. Don't take a note. Tell them one isn't required. If they bug you about it tell them you're gonna file a harassment grievance.

brownrod

your union supplement will detail how many missed days required a note. My area is 5 days.

Also...

All the note needs to say is "OK to return to work."

They don't tell the company any details regarding your sickness. It's not their business.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I have been told we can only ask if for 3 days or there is reasonable doubt they weren't sick. Had one guy call out a couple weeks ago because he was puking his guts out. Someone who had to fill in for him (and was ticked) came to us showing a picture he posted of him getting a tattoo that day. Next day he was in with the steward and management getting a warning. Steward agreed it was unacceptable.

clean hairy

I have always taken in Dr return to work just to cover myself should Managment ever try to cause problems with an attendance issue.
Last year I missed about 14 days due to Family Medical issues, took in a Dr note each time, nothing said about missed days.
For me, it kept my vacations intact which FMLA would not do, and nothing was ever said about how many days I had missed.
Had Attendance become an issue, I had all documentation where the Union could make it a non-issue considering the documentation and circumstances.
I even had note from the Ambulance staff, the Emergency room Personnell, and the ER DR in one case.
I overdocument just to cover myself.

herbigharo32

How long have you been at ups and who is asking for the doctor note , your belt sup or someone higher

Just take the days you need and wait for them to push the issue when you come back and if they do get your steward and go face them

It is likely both belt supervisor and her supervisor. Checked the SOP on UPSers.com and found no reference for dr's notes outside of short term FMLA filing (missing for than 3 days of work).

herbigharo32

Even if I did go to a doctor, providing that doctor's note would be setting a really, REALLY BAD precedent. My reasoning behind not providing a dr's note for short term absences is how it affects the next person. For example, John Doe has been working at UPS for 6 months and makes an average of $150.00 a week after taxes. He comes down with a flu or cold and takes 1 or 2 days off to recover. A visit to a doctor in his case would be a measure of last resort because doing so will likely cost the entire paycheck. Furthermore, going to a physician as measure of last resort will likely result in John Doe having already made recovery making obtaining a Dr's release to work highly unlikely even if he did go.

Bottomline, such draconian rules of requiring dr's notes is not even in the UPS standard operating procedures regarding absences 3 or less days. In the 6 years 6 months working in this hub, not one time have I been asked to provide a dr's note for short term illness until today. Several times in the past, I did go to a doctor for an ailment and obtained a note and receipt. Since not being asked for them at those times in years past, the papers where filed in my medical folder.

From the perspective of UPS, requiring doctors notes for short term absences to curb potential abuse of call-ins will do NOTHING to curb chronic abusers. One who calls in often will simply change the line up of excuses to NOT including illness of any kind. In addition, a company sending 1000's of employees needlessly to the doctor each week WILL cost the health plan a pretty penny for sure.

For supervisors: UPS already has procedure in place for handling those abusing call ins: Options days! If a person uses up all their option days and calls in more, progressive procedure of discipline is already in place.

herbigharo32

You are thinking of FMLA. Generally, one should file if out for more than 3 days.

Oh this got even better this morning. One man had to call out for personal reasons and the supervisor asked him to 'Prove' his whereabouts on the day he was out. Not like it was either her business nor mine. This is getting way out of hands. Have yet to see a hard copy of the corporate SOP on handling what is referred to as unplanned events. It seems we are being treated as children on this belt.... pft /Headdesk!

rweyant

Is this when you guys are out of options days or what? I never give in excuse. When they answer the phone I state my name and option 3 and hang up.

Indecisi0n

Is this when you guys are out of options days or what? I never give in excuse. When they answer the phone I state my name and option 3 and hang up.
I do the same. Too many people play into their game/trap. I say "Good morning this is Indy and I won't be in today put me in for a sick day". Then I hear "But we had too many cal..." *Click goes the phone.
Then I proceed to coming on here and posting about it.