Requiring Dr's Note For Short Term Illness

10 point

It's always been twenty for us. When I was a part timer it was ten.
If you're on TeamCare look at your Medical Mutual card and you'll see on the right hand side that it says "$10 Office Visit Copay".

Unless you're still under the old C6 plan and we both know that's not true.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
@olroadbeech , The first step is to call corporate this Monday and get the exact policy on use of options days and call in procedures. When I inquired, there was no interest in producing a hard copy of the SOP. All I can say is they :censored2: me off into building a case - A HUGE MISTAKE for pushing any kind of agenda.... LOL
you have to speak to your head shop steward. this has probably been an issue before. it comes up a couple times a year at our hub. our top shop steward has told us that all you have to do is call in at least 60 minutes before your start time and say you are calling out for the day. you should have sick or option days available and you DO NOT have to give an excuse. at our hub they CAN request a dr's not if it is 3 days in a row. that may or may not be the case in your contract.

so speak to your steward or B.A.

You're not in the enhanced UPS TeamCare plan? I thought the National brought everyone in TeamCare up to the same levels of coverage/deductibles.

That's wrong.
No I got my plan enhanced by the deductible going down to two hundred and five dollar max co pays. I'm cool with it. I made 105,000 plus 40 g's index benefits on top of what I already get and you know this because we are friends outside this site. It's a good deal for me.

10 point

you have to speak to your head shop steward. this has probably been an issue before. it comes up a couple times a year at our hub. our top shop steward has told us that all you have to do is call in at least 60 minutes before your start time and say you are calling out for the day. you should have sick or option days available and you DO NOT have to give an excuse. at our hub they CAN request a dr's not if it is 3 days in a row. that may or may not be the case in your contract.

so speak to your steward or B.A.
We TRY to call in an hour plus 5 min so they can give the next employee at least the full hour to report by the pcm but it's not mandatory. It lessens the "attitude" of the PDS or manning supe if you can extend this allowance.

If we want the next day off we just tell the OMS when we punch out and they note it. The OMS doesn't care and it stops the prospective harassment issue of calling in the morning of.

"I'm out of service for tomorrow" is all we say.

herbigharo32

Based on current findings, no dr's note is required for absences of 3 days or less. These findings will be confirmed by obtaining a hard copy of corporate policy on reporting absences then getting summery opinion from shop steward.

There appears to be no statement in the UPS Southern Supplement / Master Agreement. The main reference is covered under "Article 60 - Holidays". Weblink to contract: https://web.archive.org/web/2014080.../2013-2018 UPS Southern Region Supplement.pdf

Corporate policy states an employee must notify supervisor at least 1 hour in advance if not coming in. Absences lasting more than 3 days falls under the UPS corporate FMLA policy for part time workers.

It seems the draconian rule of having doctors notes on short ailments as wells as having to 'Prove' where abouts on days called off does not officially exists but rather pushed by local supervisor then perhaps a head or two above.

10 point

Last time I checked OMS clerks do not approve days off.
No one said they did. They document that we are out of service for the next day.

Out of service is not a request. It is a statement of our availability for work.
No approval needed.

You must've misunderstood my post.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are allowed to request the day off but are not allowed to put ourselves out of service the day before. If we need to call in sick we must do it no later than 1 hour before start time.

10 point

We are allowed to request the day off but are not allowed to put ourselves out of service the day before. If we need to call in sick we must do it no later than 1 hour before start time.
Ever consider the DOT requirement that it's the employee's responsibility to be fit for work?
A driver in our local had a child admitted into the local hospital. The driver felt that he was too fatigued to return to work after not getting enough rest to be safe on the road having spent the evening at the hospital with his son. He wasn't sick but didn't want to be at risk of injuring himself or others. He took himself out of service. This is just one example.

At what point do you understand screw the "approved" day off route and adhere to Federal law that says that it's the employee's responsibility to report healthy and allert enough to operate a commercial vehicle?

You evidently don't get it. UPS doesn't rule the DOT and your liability is to the DOT and then your DOT governed job.

Taking yourself out of service the evening prior to the unscheduled day off is "no later than 1 hour prior to start time".
Federal law trumps UPS "rules" every time every day.