Requiring Dr's Note For Short Term Illness

10 point

its not in our supplement but we go 3 days without needing a doctor slip here locally.

the last time I was off 3 days I called in and told him I will be back on the 4th day and the supervisor told me that I had to call in for FMLA to return to work. I told him that that has never been our local practice and if they're going to change the rules of employment they have to run that through the union and they could either take my doctor slip and I'll come back to work or I can be off for another week waiting for their FMLA papers to generate.

he told me just to come back to work and never asked for my doctor's excuse which I did have with me.

Ring Sport

Years ago I called in sick. Was told to get a Dr.'s note. His note excused me for the whole week.....lol, not just the couple of days that I felt necessary to recover. Because of the way I was treated I used the note to my benefit. BTW, I don't call in sick and max out my sick bank.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We get 5 sick days so, as I see it, the company agrees that one may be out sick up to a week. They want a note? Fine, send me to the company doctor on your dime.

I would not go to the doctor for only being sick 2 days, I would wait until I get a warning letter first... Having sick hours in the bank has nothing to do with "being sick" only weather you get paid.... People get sick, some don't get sick pay for it.

herbigharo32

It gets even worse. This morning, the supervisor confronted a young man who had to take a day off for personal matters. She asked him to 'Prove' where he was at that day. It was a very awkward moment for me and from the looks in his eyes, he as well. This was her way of backing down on the doctors note issue.

The next step should be talk with the union and get on the horn with corporate for a final answer on what the SOP is on handling unplanned events.

10 point

It gets even worse. This morning, the supervisor confronted a young man who had to take a day off for personal matters. She asked him to 'Prove' where he was at that day. It was a very awkward moment for me and from the looks in his eyes, he as well. This was her way of backing down on the doctors note issue.

The next step should be talk with the union and get on the horn with corporate for a final answer on what the SOP is on handling unplanned events.
This is all they get....

"I'm out of service for today (& or tomorrow)".

Hippa law comes into play if they dig on medical issues.

Where I was is none of their business because I already told them where I was....Out of service.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the best offense is educating yourself before returning to work or confronting the boss about it.

find out how many days you need to be out before producing note ( probably 3 or 5 ) also you do NOT have to give details of illness. you have privacy rights under Hippa.

when you have done this and not before bring a good steward with you to settle this once and for all. if this doesn't work, file a grievance and start the paper trail.

this has been said a 100 times here. if you stand up for yourself they will have to respect you and leave you alone. if you don't stand up for yourself they will walk all over you. it's called bullying and its a company mainstay.

herbigharo32

@olroadbeech ,

Recently, the DFW hub has been leaning increasingly to such low standards of mainstay called bullying. I am ashamed and embarrassed at this certain truth because during the 7 years working the DFW air hub, the standards in how we treat each other has always been much higher. As of late, the standards in respecting individuals is on a rapid downward trend. This also starting to show in overall performance within the hub as well.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
@olroadbeech ,

Recently, the DFW hub has been leaning increasingly to such low standards of mainstay called bullying. I am ashamed and embarrassed at this certain truth because during the 7 years working the DFW air hub, the standards in how we treat each other has always been much higher. As of late, the standards in respecting individuals is on a rapid downward trend. This also starting to show in overall performance within the hub as well.
you sound like a person who can turn this around.

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago (for the duration of a three year contract) we were given 3 sick days and 2 personal days. We had to have a note Drs. note if out for 2 sick days in a row. The following contract they just combined everything and gave us what was called the "option week"----plus we still got 2 more personal days.

herbigharo32

@olroadbeech , The first step is to call corporate this Monday and get the exact policy on use of options days and call in procedures. When I inquired, there was no interest in producing a hard copy of the SOP. All I can say is they pissed me off into building a case - A HUGE MISTAKE for pushing any kind of agenda.... LOL

RealPerson

You are thinking of FMLA. Generally, one should file if out for more than 3 days.

Oh this got even better this morning. One man had to call out for personal reasons and the supervisor asked him to 'Prove' his whereabouts on the day he was out. Not like it was either her business nor mine. This is getting way out of hands. Have yet to see a hard copy of the corporate SOP on handling what is referred to as unplanned events. It seems we are being treated as children on this belt.... pft /Headdesk!

Not sure what Supplement you are under, but in central you just call and say I can not make it in today. Don't tell them ANYTHING else. After the third day we are required to bring a DR note.

DR notes were $10 ehhh...
Now with TeamCare, who knows.....

So Like most people are saying. READ YOUR Union Book. Download a copy of Your Supplement if you do not have a hard copy ...
Talk to one or MORE stewards
Talk to your BA

oldngray

nowhere special
In Central there is no sick pay, so if you call in you don't get paid. No point in needing a doctors note if you miss a day or two.

10 point

Not sure what Supplement you are under, but in central you just call and say I can not make it in today. Don't tell them ANYTHING else. After the third day we are required to bring a DR note.

DR notes were $10 ehhh...
Now with TeamCare, who knows.....

So Like most people are saying. READ YOUR Union Book. Download a copy of Your Supplement if you do not have a hard copy ...
Talk to one or MORE stewards
Talk to your BA
Still $10.

If you call in sick you'd better not give them a reason to claim dishonesty.

If you're out of service you're out of service. It's going to be an infraction either way.

Don't shoot holes in your boat by talking too much.

Still $10.

If you call in sick you'd better not give them a reason to claim dishonesty.

If you're out of service you're out of service. It's going to be an infraction either way.

Don't shoot holes in your boat by talking too much.
Ten bucks for a doctors note?? Really my doctor doesn't charge for those.