Resign... or Change, Mr. President

tieguy

Banned
Like I said, if you want to go to war you'll find a reason/excuse. The idea that the "evidence" for wmds was just so overwhelming and compelliing that we had no choice is just complete nonsense. There was never any real, solid evidence, it was all pretty tenuous and open to interpretation: "What are those funny looking trucks for? They could be part of a wmd program!" "What's in that mysterious building? It could be the wmd stockpiles!" When you go back now and read the testimony it's laughable, or at least it would be if so many people hadn't died as a result. The fact that the dems went along with it doesn't change anything, it just makes them culpable.

amnesty international estimated Hussien easily killed a million people with his agregious human rights violations. For some of us thats a pretty damn good reason to believer there are more tricks in hussiens bag.

the sad thing is bush cleaned up Iraq for Obama and left Obama the small war to win. And here we are still waiting.....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I see the same argument on the TV show cops . heavy drug users guilty of using drugs in the past and or selling them now claiming they were "clean" how many more mass killings with wmd's did hussien have to engage in before the rest of the nay sayers here saw the light?
It's not an argument, I'm just tellling you what the ISG said. Their report was pretty much the final word with respect to Iraq and wmds.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
amnesty international estimated Hussein easily killed a million people with his egregious human rights violations. For some of us that's a pretty damn good reason to believer there are more tricks in Hussein's bag.

the sad thing is bush cleaned up Iraq for Obama and left Obama the small war to win. And here we are still waiting.....
Human rights violations was never the justification for invading Iraq.

jimstud

Banned
amnesty international estimated Hussien easily killed a million people with his agregious human rights violations. For some of us thats a pretty damn good reason to believer there are more tricks in hussiens bag.

you are a fool how long was russia over there. nobody ever is going to win a war over there unless you nuke them back into the stone age. is that what you want?

tieguy

Banned
you are a fool how long was russia over there. nobody ever is going to win a war over there unless you nuke them back into the stone age. is that what you want?

I don't know I guess you think the russion fighting force is superior to ours. all I know is bush took care of the big war while Obama is finding new ways to screw up the little one. remember when the democats made the argument that we should not have let Iraq be a distraction. well bush fixed Iraq it aint a distraction now. All Obama has to do is focus on this one little country and get it cleaned up and he can't do it.

tieguy

Banned
Human rights violations was never the justification for invading Iraq.

You're dancing . the continued use of wmd's was the threat. Hussiens history of human rights violations with wmd's was part of the reason we believed he had them and would do it again. a convincing argument that led to bipartisan support for the war in Iraq.

klein

Für Meno :)
I don't know I guess you think the russion fighting force is superior to ours. all I know is bush took care of the big war while Obama is finding new ways to screw up the little one. remember when the democats made the argument that we should not have let Iraq be a distraction. well bush fixed Iraq it aint a distraction now. All Obama has to do is focus on this one little country and get it cleaned up and he can't do it.

Newsflash for you, that war has been going on for 9 whole years now !

jimstud

Banned

how did bush fix anything ? it was a mess then it is a mess now . no i don't think the russian fighting force is superior to ours but they are still the 2nd biggest kid on the block or at least they were in the 80's when they were over there. so the north vietnamese fighting force is superior to ours? when you are fighting for your own home things are differnt. was the contintental army a better fighting force than the british ? how does the saying go those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You're dancing . the continued use of wmd's was the threat. Hussiens history of human rights violations with wmd's was part of the reason we believed he had them and would do it again. a convincing argument that led to bipartisan support for the war in Iraq.
No, what I'm telling you is that the primary reason given for the invasion was that Hussein was supposedly manufacturing and stockpiling wmd's and that turned out to be not true. It was only a convincing argument to people who wanted to be convinced.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Strictly from a warfighting standpoint, Russia had some pretty significant advantages over us in Afghanistan. Their supply lines were much shorter(they share a border), they didn't have to worry about public opinion (at least to the degree that the US does), and they had no qualms about waging unrestricted war on the Afghan population. They still lost. We're not going to "win" any war in Afghanistan, the best we can hope to do is define whatever situation currently exists as "victory" and then try to get the hell out before it deteriorates. Coincidentally that's pretty much what we're doing in Iraq.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think your right about not winning anything. I'm now for pulling out and letting all the Middle Easterners kill each other. *****es, Sunis, Thingamabobs and dohickeys..... They can all fight to the death and leave us out of it. It's been happening for thousands of years. Let them continue.

av8torntn

According to the ISG report all their significant stockpiles of chemical weapons were destroyed after the first gulf war. There was still the odd shell or two laying around, but that due to oversight rather than a real attempt to hide anything and the few shells that have been found were old and inert. There is currently no evidence that at the time of our invasion that the Iraqis were producing or stockpiling wmds.

I would be suspect of any report that claimed that rounds containing mustard gas were inert. I am pretty sure none of us are experts here but we all know they still occasionally find active rounds containing mustard gas from WWII. I understand you are trying to help jimstump but he falsely claimed at least twice in this thread that there were no wmd's found in Iraq. This report claims there were hundreds of rounds containing wmd's found and likely still more out there. Here

jimstud

Banned
I would be suspect of any report that claimed that rounds containing mustard gas were inert. I am pretty sure none of us are experts here but we all know they still occasionally find active rounds containing mustard gas from WWII. I understand you are trying to help jimstump but he falsely claimed at least twice in this thread that there were no wmd's found in Iraq. This report claims there were hundreds of rounds containing wmd's found and likely still more out there. Here

a couple hundred rounds don't qualify now if it was a couple hundred thousand maybe.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

how is nuking someone back to the stone age a solution , when most of the country never moved beyond that level ?

av8torntn

a couple hundred rounds don't qualify now if it was a couple hundred thousand maybe.

You falsely claimed there were NO WMD's found. The truth is that we do not know what exactly was found but we do know there were at least hundreds of rounds found. We also know that was not the only reason laid out to go to war in Iraq. It is true that we were told that Iraq possessed and they even claimed themselves they had stockpiles of WMD's. It is also true that was probably the most compelling reason to go to war. That gives you no reason to be dishonest and claim there were no WMD's found. One reason given was that they possessed the capability to restart their nuclear program and this turned out to be true. One reason given was that they were in possession of enriched uranium and this turned out to be true.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Inert was my word actually, I wasn't directly quoting. The report you linked instead describes them as "degraded", and that's probably more accurate.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Everyone here is over looking (why we went to Iraq) one very important fact; Iraq never complied with the cease fire agreement of Desert Storm; to allow the UN inspectors full access. If you can recall the failure of Iraq to follow these orders, which resulted in several UN violations decrees being issued. Was all the motivation needed. The line of WMD was just a public relations line for the media to grab. The fact that some here still follow this phantom line is testament that you are just a typical mind-less sheep.