Retro checks

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Newest rumor I have heard is that everyone will get the same retro check, no matter how many hours you worked. Basically 20 hours a week for part time and 40 for full time * what ever the raise is. Doesn't matter if you worked 60 hours over peak, and it will all be paid as straight time.

This is BS! Just another give back, and for what? So I can be treated as a lesser person.
False

Feederquacker

Newest rumor I have heard is that everyone will get the same retro check, no matter how many hours you worked. Basically 20 hours a week for part time and 40 for full time * what ever the raise is. Doesn't matter if you worked 60 hours over peak, and it will all be paid as straight time.

This is BS! Just another give back, and for what? So I can be treated as a lesser person.
That my friend is not a decision that can be made by any Union. That is just not legal. We agreed upon a set rate change and they are obligated to honor that raise per contract law. The fact that we have not received said raise is simply due to this nonsense we have been talking about.
I wouldn't fret to much about that rumor. As I understand the law, only you can give the Company the authority to decide how much of an obligated raise you will get or accept.

Unless I misunderstood the law, I'd say we're good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By law the company must pay for all hours worked at the applicable rate. Kae had already said payroll has been compiling the hours waiting for the final supplements to be approved.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ashell

I actually called up the state division of hour and labor, for another issue. They told me that the only law is, they have to pay you minimum wage for every hour worked. I make more than minimum...

Are you sure you mean contract instead of law? Because it seems to me like the IBT and several locals have sold us out time after time. Someone would have to enforce the contract, and its always open for interpretation.

QKRSTKR

It's retroactive pay since August 1 2013. Every strait time hour you work is 70 cents, overtime 1.05. Period.

Where do people come up with this crap.

Feederquacker

I actually called up the state division of hour and labor, for another issue. They told me that the only law is, they have to pay you minimum wage for every hour worked. I make more than minimum...

Are you sure you mean contract instead of law? Because it seems to me like the IBT and several locals have sold us out time after time. Someone would have to enforce the contract, and its always open for interpretation.
Minimum wage laws and contract law are different. As long as we have an agreed upon contract from both sides, then UPS is obligated to pay the difference in pay rate for all hours worked since the agreed upon date. In this case it would be a difference of $.70 for all hours worked up to 8 hours per day and $1.05 for all hours worked past the 8th hour per day.

Now, that isn't to say that UPS won't try to pay a lower amount by making a "mistake" while calculating payroll. My suggestion would be for anyone that is worried about getting shorted to get all past pay stubs or go on upsers website and check your online pay stub info to calculate your hours worked. That way, when you get your check (whenever that actually happens) you will be able to say without a doubt weather you were paid accurately. If not, well.... yall know what comes next.

UPSER110

I have a feeling I will get screwed on mine... I was part time as of Aug 1 2013, but a reg temp driver making $21.13. With the new contact my reg temp pay should have gone up to $24.74 on Aug 1. So essentially a 3.61 cent raise... I went full time at the end of Sept. and I drove almost everyday as a reg temp until then. The last time I calculated what is owed to me. Up to Jan 11th 2014 it was $3,600.

PT Car Washer

I have a feeling I will get screwed on mine... I was part time as of Aug 1 2013, but a reg temp driver making $21.13. With the new contact my reg temp pay should have gone up to $24.74 on Aug 1. So essentially a 3.61 cent raise... I went full time at the end of Sept. and I drove almost everyday as a reg temp until then. The last time I calculated what is owed to me. Up to Jan 11th 2014 it was $3,600.
What is a regular temp driver? I would agree you will be disappointed about your retro check.

Johney

I doubt anybodies retro check will be anywhere close to $3600. Unless this drags on for a long time.

UPSER110

What is a regular temp driver? I would agree you will be disappointed about your retro check.
I was a part time "cover driver" in our supplement we work (drive) from June 1st to Dec 31st. My pay was based on 75% of the top rate when the old contract came out. The "new" contract reads the same so 75% of $33 is almost $25 an hr. So any new part time reg temp. would start at that rate. There is no way I would be making less than someone starting new so my pay should be bumped up to match the new drivers. I worked 50+ hrs a week driving even before I went full time.

pharacyde

So would the retro checks include a raise you would have got in progression? For example, I went full time after Aug 1 and according to our supplement, I should have been making 75% of the top pay rate from the previous contract ($32.17*0.75=24.13 then minus my current rate). That's a raise of $3.74 for me. I've heard that I should get the progression rate, but not the .70 raise, and I've heard that I'll get the .70 but not the progression...

710 steward

If you are in progression then you will get the progression rate. Why they have not honored your progression raises is wrong. The annual raise doesn't affect your pay rate. Just more greed to make a few more cents in their retro fund. It's all a bunch of baloney.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It's retroactive pay since August 1 2013. Every strait time hour you work is 70 cents, overtime 1.05. Period.

Where do people come up with this crap.

To add to your already clear and concise answer, one must not forget about the first year drivers still in progression. Some of whom are going to be looking at a substantial increase of $1.50 straight or $2.25 OT. If this contract does carry on past August 1, 2014 then they will be looking at even more.

5000 hours @ $.70/hr = $3,500.

With those numbers, $3500 could very well be an attainable figure. Now whether or not the company will actually pay that, is the true question. I would just like to know how much interest UPS is earning on having all that money set aside in escrow and why the interest does not go towards the members.

Off subject a little, but in another life, a class action suit was filed regarding us non-salaried employees being on call carrying pagers. Long story short, after the suit was settled and the on call pay was hashed out for every hour, the state ended up having to pay the interest to us as well. I know that our situation is a negotiated contract deal but I'd be willing to bet that if there was a class action suit filed, then UPS would be required to also pay the interest. Just my 2 pennies.

brown_trousers

To add to your already clear and concise answer, one must not forget about the first year drivers still in progression. Some of whom are going to be looking at a substantial increase of $1.50 straight or $2.25 OT. If this contract does carry on past August 1, 2014 then they will be looking at even more.

With those numbers, $3500 could very well be an attainable figure. Now whether or not the company will actually pay that, is the true question. I would just like to know how much interest UPS is earning on having all that money set aside in escrow and why the interest does not go towards the members.

Off subject a little, but in another life, a class action suit was filed regarding us non-salaried employees being on call carrying pagers. Long story short, after the suit was settled and the on call pay was hashed out for every hour, the state ended up having to pay the interest to us as well. I know that our situation is a negotiated contract deal but I'd be willing to bet that if there was a class action suit filed, then UPS would be required to also pay the interest. Just my 2 pennies.

It all depends on the language in the retro-pay contract they signed last year.

maybe the contract only included retro pay based on the .70 increase... or maybe it was written to include pay progression differences.

Unless we have a copy of that contract no one can be sure... however... we can be sure UPS will pay us the least amount possible based on that contract