returning to ups after 4 years of military service (marines) HELP

ManInBrown

Already had second class citizens in my area since 1997 and if we are really being honest with ourselves. It was even longer back than that when PT workers were turned into second class citizens and put division in the workforce.

You remember PT workers right? The ones we all blame for bad contracts and refuse to stand up for because... well "they are second class citizens".

I don't agree with 22.4s but they are better than being a cover driver.
I don’t know what being a cover driver means? Is that a permanent employee where you are? There is no such thing here.

542thruNthru

I don’t know what being a cover driver means? Is that a permanent employee where you are? There is no such thing here.

Yes its a Driver that works year round and makes only 75% of top rate. He's also technically a PTer so he only gets a PT contribution to his pension. He also has no 8 hour requests or 9.5 perfection just like 22.4s.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
east coast=best coast
A353DB8B-5747-4172-9CEC-ECE87E73B273.gif

MattM

Reading through these comments, it’s still not clear. Unless OP was already a driver, he’s not getting his imaginary promotion back. That’s like saying a new driver who left for 4 years should be into feeders and at top rate. Has that happened? Maybe then I’ll shut up. I can see him being retained at the top rate for a driver, but directly into feeders? What’s next? A feeder driver wants to be a pilot because he was in the Air Force?

I can see him getting sixth year PT pay Bump and a chance to drive. But does USERRA cover promotions that are earned through on job training and time on the job?

Reading through these comments, it’s still not clear. Unless OP was already a driver, he’s not getting his imaginary promotion back. That’s like saying a new driver who left for 4 years should be into feeders and at top rate. Has that happened? Maybe then I’ll shut up. I can see him being retained at the top rate for a driver, but directly into feeders? What’s next? A feeder driver wants to be a pilot because he was in the Air Force?

I can see him getting sixth year PT pay Bump and a chance to drive. But does USERRA cover promotions that are earned through on job training and time on the job?
No one is claiming that he gets an automatic promotion to FT delivery driver. Just that he should be given the opportunity to qualify if others under him in seniority has. If he does qualify, not sure where his FT seniority would fall or where he would be in progression.

govols019

You smell that?

It's perfectly clear....it just doesn't say what you want it too.

USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's perfectly clear....it just doesn't say what you want it too.

USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority.

And if his seniority would have gotten him a feeder job while he was serving, he gets trained in feeders once he gets back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cover drivers here are regular FT drivers.

The last bid sheet that I signed had two bid cover positions. These drivers were guaranteed to work every day and to get 8 hours when on road; however, they do not have their own delivery routes.

Cover drivers, also called casuals, are not guaranteed to work every day. They do get the daily guarantee when put on road but do not have their own delivery routes. They are used for vacation coverage and sick/personal day coverage.

Being a casual is a great way to learn a number of routes which makes you a more valuable employee. Casuals who don't get their 40 during the week are often "asked" to run Saturday air to get their hours.

brownelf

First things first, the previous post is perfect example of how you need to do this without listening to many on BrownCafe. A retired guy from the other side of the country is giving you advise unaware of the difference in language between the contract supplements. He thinks he may but that’s not usually the case.
I’m not in that local either so I’ll admit I not up to speed on most of the new language anyways as I’m also retired. What I would do is just leave in the company’s hands to bring you back into system before doing anything but I desire to return back to work at UPS. Once upon your return do whatever they feel is the job you left to the the best of your ability as this most likely be temporary deal anyways. Throwing all the “what if’s “ is pointless waste of energy at this time. Once working again you should be able to get in contact with someone from the local union hall about joining the local as a member again. Leave that between you and your local. Don’t want to come on too strong about joining the local, but there’s a reason we are the best compensated in the country and it’s not all unicorns and butterflies 24/7 at UPS.
Once you get a reliable LOCAL contact is when the work begins, ask for a sit down with your BA at the hall, perhaps after going to a union meeting and introducing yourself to everyone there. Then when you have sit down with BA, ask him about all the options as a teamster member and his thoughts on what ones may be best for you. Thank you for your service and good luck on the next stage of tour life.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The last bid sheet that I signed had two bid cover positions. These drivers were guaranteed to work every day and to get 8 hours when on road; however, they do not have their own delivery routes.

Cover drivers, also called casuals, are not guaranteed to work every day. They do get the daily guarantee when put on road but do not have their own delivery routes. They are used for vacation coverage and sick/personal day coverage.

Being a casual is a great way to learn a number of routes which makes you a more valuable employee. Casuals who don't get their 40 during the week are often "asked" to run Saturday air to get their hours.
How "often"? Lol

Overpaid Union Thug

First things first, the previous post is perfect example of how you need to do this without listening to many on BrownCafe. A retired guy from the other side of the country is giving you advise unaware of the difference in language between the contract supplements. He thinks he may but that’s not usually the case.
I’m not in that local either so I’ll admit I not up to speed on most of the new language anyways as I’m also retired. What I would do is just leave in the company’s hands to bring you back into system before doing anything but I desire to return back to work at UPS. Once upon your return do whatever they feel is the job you left to the the best of your ability as this most likely be temporary deal anyways. Throwing all the “what if’s “ is pointless waste of energy at this time. Once working again you should be able to get in contact with someone from the local union hall about joining the local as a member again. Leave that between you and your local. Don’t want to come on too strong about joining the local, but there’s a reason we are the best compensated in the country and it’s not all unicorns and butterflies 24/7 at UPS.
Once you get a reliable LOCAL contact is when the work begins, ask for a sit down with your BA at the hall, perhaps after going to a union meeting and introducing yourself to everyone there. Then when you have sit down with BA, ask him about all the options as a teamster member and his thoughts on what ones may be best for you. Thank you for your service and good luck on the next stage of tour life.
The best advice concerning his rights were given by several of us that know from experience. And a couple of people provided links and screenshots of the law for reference. Contract language is essentially irrelevant in regards to whether or not he has rights.

ManInBrown

No one that’s not a ups driver can walk 13 miles?
You wanna bet? 27,000 steps a day. Delivered in a very rich area with houses set not out of sight from the street, but decent walks. Never pulled in one driveway. Walked every stop off.

Anyone wonder why I walked every stop off? Because if I didn’t instead of going out with 115-120 a day, I would have been sent out with 170.