Revenue Crisis - Yearly Panic Time

MattM

I don't get the air operation.

We started using our GPUs exclusively (ground powering units) to keep power to the jets as we unload. For years we let the jets burn their own fuel as they sat. Now they say gas/diesel is cheaper than jet fuel. Makes sense. A gpu may also go through much wear and tear. So the positive outcome is mere hundreds of dollars short term.

Our building gets 4 jets in the AM. They're planning on a 5th. All of these jets are nearly halfway voided out (a void spot has no volume or uld). I guess computers know best. We probably have just enough volume for a large air bus, but we insist on all of these tiny 757s. Computers are saying all this makes $$$ sense. 1 large jet vs 5 tiny ones?

We're already over staffed, boss doesn't let people schedule off, and yet we're hiring more. Volume isn't going down.

We should have half the staff and just one jet. Yet we're trying to save dollars with using the GPU. It's Crazy where they find what needs to be saved on. And miss out on others. 90% of guys with seniority would take an unpaid day off if called upon.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired

We started using our GPUs exclusively (ground powering units) to keep power to the jets as we unload. For years we let the jets burn their own fuel as they sat. Now they say gas/diesel is cheaper than jet fuel. Makes sense. A gpu may also go through much wear and tear. So the positive outcome is mere hundreds of dollars short term.

Our building gets 4 jets in the AM. They're planning on a 5th. All of these jets are nearly halfway voided out (a void spot has no volume or uld). I guess computers know best. We probably have just enough volume for a large air bus, but we insist on all of these tiny 757s. Computers are saying all this makes $$$ sense. 1 large jet vs 5 tiny ones?

We're already over staffed, boss doesn't let people schedule off, and yet we're hiring more. Volume isn't going down.

We should have half the staff and just one jet. Yet we're trying to save dollars with using the GPU. It's Crazy where they find what needs to be saved on. And miss out on others. 90% of guys with seniority would take an unpaid day off if called upon.
Do you have any experience with ORION?

Poop Head

Judge me.

So you think that less hourlies working, is good? You think less pilots working, is good?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You’re starting to catch on how this place runs

You’ll go nuts trying to make sense of it

Show up get paid go home

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
From the latest call:
  • We need to lay-off anyone who isn’t working more than 2 days a week
  • Excessive hub sorts should be cut
  • No discretionary spending
  • Hiring freeze
  • Etc etc the usual cost cutting panic stuff like no uniforms or toilet paper
Freeze in the last month of each quarter seems to be common these days. Btw, who the friend works less than 2 days a week?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Step over a dollar to grab a dime. The ups way

542thruNthru

58k? Are you serious?

Yep... first year they were pretty much begging me to go home. Almost every morning... "542 we have someone that can do your route... you want to go home." I honestly think if I said No they would have started saying "542 we have someone that can do your route. Pretty please will you go home!!!" :)

MattM

So you think that less hourlies working, is good? You think less pilots working, is good?
For a penny pinching company, yes. Cuts should be made. But luckily as an hourly union worker, This past peak was the easiest peak we've ever had. Over prepared with workers is not a bad thing.

It just doesn't make much sense overall. We have a joke of a Saturday operation with two jets and a very small sort but they are only cutting a 1/3rd of the workforce (by choice, mind you). They could easily have a skeleton crew and we'd still get out on time. Lots of standing around, but let's put the GPU to use. Yeah. That's the problem!

Most are at my operation for the insurance, which is a punch a week commitment. They don't seem to think offering scheduled layoffs as an option.

Their loss. As we stand around constantly over staffed.

2019 was the easiest year I've had in 5-6 years. Maybe they're working against/with the union and what should be the work force #s? I have no idea but they could be making cuts much easier

We used to have to scan and load our own package cars X2. Now we have loaders and one car per scanner. It's the easiest it's been in a long while ang starting wages go up $3 within one cycle, and we still can't keep people.

I should just shut up and accept our fate.

Bottom line. I like milking it short term. But I would like to keep this job for the next 5-10 years. So I wish this company success.

Last edited:

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

The reason you have 4 jets is probably because it’s air arriving from different orgins also the larger 747s maybe are needed elsewhere or can’t land at your airport or are unable to depart the origin airport.

Either way... why they do what they do is probably due to some reason beyond our limited view of the operation