Richard Hooker pulls no punches on CNN

Yeah I hate to agree because I like Richard Hooker and I think he has a lot of great input on Roswell Hub, but I think he could have answered the questions better so the average person could empathize with us. I probably would have dressed up a bit more for national tv as well.
Maybe he just wanted to been seen as a regular person, not some dressed up union official

Thebrownblob

Even my own children couldn't believe that they follow us around.
This is one of the management people who follows me around spying on me…
1687095079794.png

10:30 resi

Yeah I hate to agree because I like Richard Hooker and I think he has a lot of great input on Roswell Hub, but I think he could have answered the questions better so the average person could empathize with us. I probably would have dressed up a bit more for national tv as well.
I think it's appropriate to wear a union related t-shirt to talk about unionism. It's a cool shirt.
image-4-e1556731532333.png

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I hate this because I also like Richard Hooker and his insight on @RoswellHub, but he was in over his head. You want "the working man" out there speaking for us, but someone maybe a little more well-spoken and can put on a nice shirt to show that we're also professionals, not just laborers. Idk, I'm not sure I'd have all the answers and keep it together knowing I'm interviewing for national news. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I hate this because the IBT has been clear from day one of the negotiations preparations,

....."ONE MESSAGE, ONE VOICE"!!!

I don't believe Richard Hooker is even on the National Committee and is one of the last people we need out front speaking on their behalf.

qdg2

A lot of changes have occurred since the 1997 strike, if we went out today it would make that "97" one look like a girl scout meeting. The damage to the Company and the Union would be considerable if it happens again, we all know who is in the White House today, do not be fooled thinking he is in charge, the Presidency position is token at best. When was the last time we really had any leadership, maybe during the Reagan years even if you do not agree with his policies or politics. Democrats or Republicans are cut from the same cloth, only interested in being re-elected it does not matter which one is in charge...

The old guys in management are smart enough to see the "writing on the wall" and are wishing for a good out or buy out. Most of them are financially secure and are willing to jump ship.

UPS makes good money because of our Union Membership, some of the decision making from the top should be questioned. The added Volume, Surcharges and the annual price increases during the pandemic has created those profit margins, it was not due to anything coming out of Atlanta.

It is ridiculous to claim that we are suffering today suffering loss of volume from that 1997 strike, you know it and I know it...
We will see....

Absolutely UPS still has lingering damage from the '97 strike. Full stop.

UPS took full advantage of the pandemic. UPS stayed competitive. Inflation was compensated where needed.

Amazon will be the biggest threat to UPS's survivable. Full stop.

I believe there hasn't been a strike because cooler thinking has prevailed......

Thebrownblob

We will see....

Absolutely UPS still has lingering damage from the '97 strike. Full stop.

UPS took full advantage of the pandemic. UPS stayed competitive. Inflation was compensated where needed.

Amazon will be the biggest threat to UPS's survivable. Full stop.

I believe there hasn't been a strike because cooler thinking has prevailed......
Why do you keep saying “Full Stop” after your statements?
1687096230162.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't believe Richard Hooker is even on the National Committee and is one of the last people we need out front speaking on their behalf.

He's not on the National Committee, but involved with the 623 Supplement. (his first time)

I hate this because I also like Richard Hooker and his insight on @RoswellHub, but he was in over his head. You want "the working man" out there speaking for us, but someone maybe a little more well-spoken and can put on a nice shirt to show that we're also professionals, not just laborers. Idk, I'm not sure I'd have all the answers and keep it together knowing I'm interviewing for national news. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't know Richard, or have ever met him. He seems to try and do the right thing.

But.... he has always brought his own personal political beliefs into Teamster business. Hence the shirt.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I can agree with that comment to an extent. UPS really depends on a good public image. It needs it for the shareholders. That CNN interviewer was throwing softball questions for the most part. They are feeling the pressure as well from the public.
I think he did a fine job.
But ya it was definitely a friendly interview.

A black guy wearing an MLK shirt when there's a Juneteenth icon on the news headline ticker at the bottom of the screen isn't exactly going to be met with opposition.

Hopefully UPS doesn't screw around because I don't doubt for a second the media would turn on us just like they did when the railroad union was forced back to work.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
He's not on the National Committee, but involved with the 623 Supplement. (his first time)

I don't know Richard, or have ever met him. He seems to try and do the right thing.

But.... he has always brought his own personal political beliefs into Teamster business. Hence the shirt.
He causes more problems for his members than he solves. Hate to be the one to say it, but when you know how things work, it is what it is.