Rickyb's George H W Bush memorial thread

rickyb

Aaron Maté‏Verified account @aaronjmate 6h6 hours ago

Aaron Maté Retweeted Mike Cernovich

I’d rather be a forgotten critic than an accomplished, remembered mass murderer

Aaron Maté added,

Mike Cernovich
Verified account @Cernovich
You might not have liked or agreed with him, but George H.W. Bush lived an exceptional life of accomplishment. His critics will be forgotten, he won’t be.
Show this thread
36 replies 172 retweets 768 likes

rickyb

Sarah Abdallah‏ @sahouraxo 12h12 hours ago

Sarah Abdallah Retweeted Hillary Clinton

It figures that the woman who annihilated Libya and brought slave-selling jihadists to power thinks the guy who bombed Iraq with depleted uranium is a “class act”.

Sarah Abdallah added,

Hillary ClintonVerified account @HillaryClinton
George H.W. Bush was a beloved father & grandfather, a war hero, a public servant, & a class act. In my experiences w/ him, I always valued his desire to listen, look at evidence & ask for ideas, even from people w/ different beliefs. My heart goes out to the entire Bush family.
63 replies 889 retweets 1,965 likes

rickyb

1. Glenn Greenwald‏Verified account @ggreenwald 20h20 hours ago

Walsh: Bush 41's pardons of his own close aides, several of whom had been convicted of lying to investigators, "demonstrates that powerful people with powerful allies can commit serious crimes in high office -- deliberately abusing the public trust without consequence."

50 replies 397 retweets 1,070 likes

2. Show this thread

3. Glenn Greenwald‏Verified account @ggreenwald 21h21 hours ago

I sadly don't have time today to pay homage to George HW Bush, so I'll rely on the 1992 statement of Lawrence Walsh, the Special Counsel investigating the Iran-Contra crimes, when Bush pardoned his criminal aides & thus ended all investigations into Bush's own grave crimes #RIP41

DtVCxk3WsAAnQ_e.jpg

DtVCzxNW0AEqkLA.jpg

Future

Victory Ride
  1. Glenn Greenwald‏Verified account @ggreenwald 20h20 hours ago

Walsh: Bush 41's pardons of his own close aides, several of whom had been convicted of lying to investigators, "demonstrates that powerful people with powerful allies can commit serious crimes in high office -- deliberately abusing the public trust without consequence."

50 replies 397 retweets 1,070 likes

2. Show this thread

3. Glenn Greenwald‏Verified account @ggreenwald 21h21 hours ago

I sadly don't have time today to pay homage to George HW Bush, so I'll rely on the 1992 statement of Lawrence Walsh, the Special Counsel investigating the Iran-Contra crimes, when Bush pardoned his criminal aides & thus ended all investigations into Bush's own grave crimes #RIP41

DtVCxk3WsAAnQ_e.jpg

DtVCzxNW0AEqkLA.jpg
Soooo... I didn’t read .... r u saying he was bad?

rickyb

from the intercept article quoted above:

the good:
"It is true that the former president refused to vote for Trump in 2016, calling him a “blowhard,” and that he eschewed the white nationalist, “alt-right,” conspiratorial politics that has come to define the modern Republican Party. He helped end the Cold War without, as Obama said, “firing a shot.”"

“When a political leader dies, it is irresponsible in the extreme to demand that only praise be permitted but not criticisms,” as my colleague Glenn Greenwald has argued, because it leads to “false history and a propagandistic whitewashing of bad acts.”

..."“You and George Bush will wear that to your grave,” (ROGER) Stone complained to Atwater. “It’s a racist ad. … You’re going to regret it.”

..."He made a dishonest case for war. Thirteen years before George W. Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction to justify his invasion and occupation of Iraq, his father made his own set of false claims to justify the aerial bombardment of that same country."

rickyb

Sarah Abdallah‏ @sahouraxo 17h17 hours ago

Sarah Abdallah Retweeted Pete Souza

44 oversaw the destruction of Libya, Syria and Yemen.

41 and 43 invaded Iraq on lies, killing and displacing millions, and turning the country into a graveyard infested with depleted uranium.

A club of war criminals is more like it.

Sarah Abdallah added,

DtXnAw-VsAAgYWe.jpg

Pete SouzaVerified account @PeteSouza
44 + 41 + 43 = a respectful club
191 replies 2,205 retweets 4,276 likes

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
sounds like alot of BC members LOL

Elham Khatami‏Verified account @ekhatami Dec 1

"I will never apologize for the United States — I don't care what the facts are... I'm not an apologize-for-America kind of guy."

- George HW Bush, Aug 2 1988, after the US shot down an Iranian passenger plane, killing 290 people, including 66 children.

43 replies 1,620 retweets 3,816 likes
I would take a president with this attitude any day over one who goes around the world bowing to other leaders and apologizing for America.