Rickyb's George H W Bush memorial thread

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

"I will never apologize for the United States — I don't care what the facts are... I'm not an apologize-for-America kind of guy."

- George HW Bush, Aug 2 1988, after the US shot down an Iranian passenger plane, killing 290 people, including 66 children.
It really is bizarre how people pretend someone wasnt a terrible human being because they recently died.

rickyb

It really is bizarre how people pretend someone wasnt a terrible human being because they recently died.
i guess part of it is about perpetuating lies so they can keep acting the same. another part is we dont live in a culture where people question things or deal with hard truths. and then we dont know how to value things.

i was thinking about this in part because 2 high school friends (one of them was my BFF) died and they were both very charismatic and funny but they were also major :censored2:s or bullies at times and you know, average humans, its not like they were gonna change the world or even try to. but anyways most people who remember them only remember the good which i dont agree with.

BrownArmy

https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1069038979570384896

DtXnAw-VsAAgYWe.jpg

And somehow the Elder Bush still has a stiffie.

Weird.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Polite people will give it a few weeks before launching attacks against the recently deceased, out of respect for the mourning relatives. No one was talking about him before he died, the only reason anyone feels the need to point out how terrible he was now is to gain notoriety for themselves. They're vultures, using someone's death for personal gain. If they wait too long, no one will be interested anymore, not even them.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Polite people will give it a few weeks before launching attacks against the recently deceased, out of respect for the mourning relatives. No one was talking about him before he died, the only reason anyone feels the need to point out how terrible he was now is to gain notoriety for themselves. They're vultures, using someone's death for personal gain. If they wait too long, no one will be interested anymore, not even them.
Tldr.
The guy was a tool.

floridays

real leaders apologize when they are wrong. thats what happens when youre honest.

guys like bush are no leaders; they are just leading us off a cliff
You live in Canada dude, You aren't US, you are Canuck.

Mind your countries business once again. BTW, How's your sweet petunia Trudeau doin?

over9five

Staff member
You live in Canada dude, You aren't US, you are Canuck.

Mind your countries business once again. BTW, How's your sweet petunia Trudeau doin?

Here's the problem with that:
No one knows or cares who is/was President of Canada. It doesn't even matter, they contribute nothing to the world.

bacha29

Bush 41 was the elder statesman of a very wealthy political family but just a cog in a political machine. I believe that 20 years from now historians and scholars will look back and judge him as a relatively uninspired and ineffective one term president whose policies were heavily influenced by the extremely wealthy special interests that shape American foreign and domestic policy to this very day.

vantexan

Bush 41 was the elder statesman of a very wealthy political family but just a cog in a political machine. I believe that 20 years from now historians and scholars will look back and judge him as a relatively uninspired and ineffective one term president whose policies were heavily influenced by the extremely wealthy special interests that shape American foreign and domestic policy to this very day.
Or they will point out he presided over the collapse of the Soviet Union without getting us into a global war. That he defended and freed an invaded ally. That he consistently reached across the aisle to conduct business in a civil manor. That since leaving the presidency he maintained friendships with former political foes and left a sterling example of what it means to be a patriarch. I loved my grandfather, and often think about what he would do in given situations. I'm sure the Bush family feels the same way about their father and grandfather.

bacha29

Or they will point out he presided over the collapse of the Soviet Union without getting us into a global war. That he defended and freed an invaded ally. That he consistently reached across the aisle to conduct business in a civil manor. That since leaving the presidency he maintained friendships with former political foes and left a sterling example of what it means to be a patriarch. I loved my grandfather, and often think about what he would do in given situations. I'm sure the Bush family feels the same way about their father and grandfather.
He was up to his eyeballs in Iran-Contra. The driver behind the liberation of Kuwait a country that was anything but a democracy was OIL. He ran the CIA and said it was his favorite appointment. I wonder why? The Soviet Union collapsed on its own. The other crew members in his Avenger were captured by the Japanese and beheaded.
As the old saying goes....."it's better to be lucky than good".... and he was very lucky right from the moment he was born.