Rodeo

Does a real man cowboy wear a helmut?

• No. Cowboys do not wear girly helmuts.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yes. Safety before manliness.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Only if the bull gets one too.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

over9five

Staff member
So wifey and I are sitiing at the bar yesterday, and the some rodeo championship is on.
Well some of these cowboys are wearing hockey style helmuts! I'm thinking, "How un-manly, and un-cowboy like!" REAL cowboys do not wear helmuts! REAL cowboys have a stetson! The bull doesn't get any protective equipment, why should the riders?

bbsam

Staff member
I believe either Ryan McConnell or J.B. Mauney wear a helmet and after watching and hearing them I would be hard pressed not to call them "real cowboys". And would the same go for motorcycle riders? Nicky Hayden, Valentino Rossi not real rider? Ridiculous. Tony Hawk? Lance Armstrong? Sorry. Nothing unmanly?

bigbrownhen

The protective chest vest and helmets have become more popular after the death of Lane Frost and when Tuff Hedeman got his face smashed in. Bull riders are thier own breed, but the smart ones wear the gear. As for the protection for the bull, they have think skulls naturally.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It wasn't that long ago that hockey players, even the goalie, did not wear helmets/face masks. They are now mandatory with a few players still grandfathered in. MLB is now requiring base coaches to wear helmets after the tragic death of a 3rd base coach from the Colorado Rockies. When my daughter played varsity soccer they had just started requiring the goalies to wear head gear (soft helmet). I don't think requiring bull riders to wear helmets takes anything away from the sport. Are the rodeo clowns wearing them, too?

over9five

Staff member
The clowns were not wearing helmuts.

AND!!!! They were not dressed as clowns either! Shouldn't they be? Time for a new poll???

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anybody would would willingly sit astride an angry, 1500 lb bull and go for a ride doesnt need a helmet because they obviously have no brain to protect in the first place.

Two summers ago the pitcher for my daughters softball team took a line drive to the face and it crushed her skull. My daughter had a mask to wear for any infield play ever since even though for some crazy reason they are still not mandatory on either the school or summer league.

bbsam

Staff member
This reminds me of bike riding. When I was a kid noone wore helmets. Well none of the cool kids, only the "special" kids with goofy parents. Now everyone wears helmets. For a while I was bike riding to and from work everyday wearing a helmet even though I still thought it sissy-like. A block away from home on a warm humid day after earlier thunderstorms, the front tire hit a patch of ver fine sand. Bike went down and my head slammed into a cement light post. Needless to say, there was no more thought of what the helmet looked like although I'm guessing safety looks better than a crushed skull.