Route selection

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Sure, why not ?

The best thing to do, is start the ball rolling.

Grab your Steward and go to management and request your overtime be reduced

per Article 37. Decline to discuss the details. Start documenting your hours,

routes you run, and on Saturday. It won't be an overnight fix.

What you need, is to establish a pattern.... after you informed them.

-Bug-
Why does the 5th day have to be on the same route?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Found it. Nobody in our building does this. We have a oferflow type route that is put in 3 to 4 days a week that i enjoy running. How would you word a paper to let them know unless somebody senior decides to bump me this is the route i expect to be on.
Reread the first sentence of Article 3, Section 18 of the Central Region Supplement again.
Your answer is contained within.

Indecisi0n

Is there anything Ups can do to force a higher seniority driver onto a more difficult or rural route just because certain drivers below him don't have "area knowledge"? This happened to me most of this winter where I would prefer to stay in town, but was forced on out of town routes because the drivers below me had no area knowledge and didn't have the experience driving in the winter...I was under the assumption that seniority prevailed in route selection for drivers without bid routes, but they claimed they could force me onto these routes because it was "best for the company"

It will most likely be 2 years until I will be able to win a bid on a route so I don't want to be dicked over for 2 more years being forced onto the worst routes just because the drivers below me can't read a map!

Also, I am in the western.
If you don't have a route and are a cover drinker there really isn't anything you can do. I never heard of seniority giving you first choice of what one might perceive as "better work".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why does the 5th day have to be on the same route?

"Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

Good question? The language does not say “same route”.

It doesn't ?

-Bug-

Where does it say the same route?

It only says “cover a route”. Last week I did:

M. 1A
T. 8B
W. 2B
T. 3D
friend. 7C

All week I covered a route.

Last edited:

"A route".... in the singular sense. Meaning 1 route for the entire week.

-Bug-
That was 1 route a day the entire week. If it meant the same route the entire week, wouldn’t they have worded it “same route”? Besides, the only reason I did 5 different route is because I was:

(2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer;

Therefore I would be covered as an under 4 year driver.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That was 1 route a day the entire week. If it meant the same route the entire week, wouldn’t they have worded it “same route”? Besides, the only reason I did 5 different route is because I was:

(2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer;

Therefore I would be covered as an under 4 year driver.

You're trying to read something into the language, that suits your needs.

Did you "bid" the route for the week ?

Were you assigned a specific route, for the entire week ?

Do you have documentation to prove it ?

I'm trying to help you not lose a grievance.

-Bug-

-Bug-
It seems you are adding the word “same “. I am only using the words they wrote.

We don’t bid on routes.

Mgmt puts us on open routes. Higher seniority drivers can bump lower ones on any given day.

What is the definition of assigned?

If I do the 1A on Monday because that person is on vacation, wasn’t i assigned that route? Then I am moved on Tuesday by mgmt. doesn’t that count?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It seems you are adding the word “same “. I am only using the words they wrote.

We don’t bid on routes.

Mgmt puts us on open routes. Higher seniority drivers can bump lower ones on any given day.

What is the definition of assigned?

If I do the 1A on Monday because that person is on vacation, wasn’t i assigned that route? Then I am moved on Tuesday by mgmt. doesn’t that count?

What supplement and Local agreement are you covered by ?

Maybe I'm confusing you with some else.

Aren't you management ?

Fragile

Local supplements cover these sort of jobs.

In my local FT unassigned cover drivers (meaning they never bid a route but are guaranteed 8) reserve the same right under the contract that bid drivers do. 9.5 opt in, 10 hour OT grievances, and 8 hour requests apply the same way they do drivers with bid routes. They are on the same center seniority list as drivers with bid routes because they are within the same classification. Start times are in seniority order regardless whether the driver has a bid route or not.

Unassigned cover drivers pick open routes or split cars by seniority.

Needs of the business can be used a maximum amount of 2 times a month by the company in the center (not always enforced, depends on the relationship between the the employees and management).

Also, national language allows you to use the local supplement (or national) if it is more beneficial for the member.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Also, national language allows you to use the local supplement (or national) if it is more beneficial for the member.

Yep.

"Any lesser conditions contained in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum shall be superseded by the conditions contained in this Master Agreement. However, except where specifically stated otherwise in the Master Agreement, nothing in this Master Agreement shall deprive any employee of any superior benefit contained in their Supplement, Rider or Addendum."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

-Bug-

The problem is, for T-S drivers, you can't meet the qualifications, assuming you don't have four years in, because the route you covered for four days isn't in on Sat.