Route selection

Rack em

Made the Podium
Holy crap!!!! In my day 300 miles got you somewhere around 25-30 stops for a 9 - 10 hour day. Our high mileage routes were mostly dirt roads however.
Our lowest stop route depending on the day can have between 55-80 stops and do up to 400 miles! I've been on the route with only 60 stops and still did 380 miles. That day was dumb because I had every possible runner stop there was.

brown_trousers

Not in the West. Usually mgmt puts cover drivers on any empty rte. (vaca or sick). By area knowledge. Higher seniority driver can bump anyone with lower seniority.

Im in the west. I cant even imagine the chaos if they let cover drivers bump other cover drivers.

About 20 of them would be trying to anticipate each others moves, and then the bumping would begin like a line of dominoes falling over.

On second thought... i would love to get some popcorn and watch that madness unfold.

542thruNthru

Do you have language on that?

Yes at the top of the page. FT cover drivers are called utility drivers in my local.
Screenshot_20180326-200600.png

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Central Region Language:

Article 3, Section 18
Each local may elect to follow this procedure for cover driver work assignment or continue the practice that presently exists in their local union area.
Bid coverage drivers shall be used to fill absenteeism, vacations, employees’ time off on disability or worker’s compensation, over- flow work and volume fluctuations.
The Employer shall determine how many coverage jobs are needed in each package center in a building. These coverage jobs and any non-bid areas that run on a regular basis will be offered to the non- bid guaranteed employees in seniority order, as described in Article 12, Section 1, of this Supplemental Agreement, within that center. This area will then become their permanent area or job. Any area or coverage job, as described above that has not been selected shall be assigned.
Coverage work that will be in existence for a full week shall be selected each Friday by the coverage drivers in seniority order in that center. In the event an employee elects work that will be in existence for more than one (1) week, they shall be required to perform that work for the duration of its existence.
When coverage work is not available on a weekly basis, cover drivers will work as directed.

CoolStoryBro

Is there anything Ups can do to force a higher seniority driver onto a more difficult or rural route just because certain drivers below him don't have "area knowledge"? This happened to me most of this winter where I would prefer to stay in town, but was forced on out of town routes because the drivers below me had no area knowledge and didn't have the experience driving in the winter...I was under the assumption that seniority prevailed in route selection for drivers without bid routes, but they claimed they could force me onto these routes because it was "best for the company"

It will most likely be 2 years until I will be able to win a bid on a route so I don't want to be dicked over for 2 more years being forced onto the worst routes just because the drivers below me can't read a map!

Also, I am in the western.

I am in the western. 14 year full time driver without a bid route. I chose my route by seniority. Seniority rules. It's been years since they played 'area knowledge' with me. I just started using 8 hour requests and option days when I know they would hose me. Solved that problem. They were forced to teach new guys routes.

CoolStoryBro

The only thing I have found that I could use against management is Article 4 Section 3 of the western supplement stating "The employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business"

Talk to stewart. Our steward says seniority is all we have and makes sure that FT drivers without a route can use their seniority to chose their route.

You can start filing harassment grievances if they won't work with you.

You can also schedule 8 hour days or option days for days that you know they will put you on a route that only you know.

Rack em

Made the Podium
@CoolStoryBro Good stuff man. I just know this summer they are going to try and force me on to all the rural routes because at that point only 2 of us cover drivers out of 7 will know any of the routes. I am prepared to file if they refuse to get these new guys trained on routes because I get tired of not being able to do anything after work. It shouldn't take an act of God to be off work by 19:00 a few times a week!

I also have a union meting coming up soon so I will be discussing this with my BA as well.

F

Frankie's Friend

Central Region Language:

Article 3, Section 18
Each local may elect to follow this procedure for cover driver work assignment or continue the practice that presently exists in their local union area.
Bid coverage drivers shall be used to fill absenteeism, vacations, employees’ time off on disability or worker’s compensation, over- flow work and volume fluctuations.
The Employer shall determine how many coverage jobs are needed in each package center in a building. These coverage jobs and any non-bid areas that run on a regular basis will be offered to the non- bid guaranteed employees in seniority order, as described in Article 12, Section 1, of this Supplemental Agreement, within that center. This area will then become their permanent area or job. Any area or coverage job, as described above that has not been selected shall be assigned.
Coverage work that will be in existence for a full week shall be selected each Friday by the coverage drivers in seniority order in that center. In the event an employee elects work that will be in existence for more than one (1) week, they shall be required to perform that work for the duration of its existence.
When coverage work is not available on a weekly basis, cover drivers will work as directed.

Dr.Brownz

Been there done that, doesn't do a damn thing. A few months ago I had done an in town route Mon and Tues. then Wednesday morning my supervisor text me saying I'd be out of town and to come prepared. Texted back saying I wanted the same route I had done the previous 2 days and his reply was No.

go slow on those rural runs then

gman042

Been around the block a few times
For 10 years I was the most senior senior driver in our center who did not have bid. I always got to choose which routes I wanted to fill in on. It should be that way.
However, in this day and age, UPS panders to the new drivers which consequently leads to these new drivers using that against the company by saying they cannot run the route because they have no area knowledge. That is a farce....their area knowledge is in the form of a map of all their stops and their locations and is much more than I had when learning all the routes that I did during my younger years in the company.

542thruNthru

Is there anything Ups can do to force a higher seniority driver onto a more difficult or rural route just because certain drivers below him don't have "area knowledge"? This happened to me most of this winter where I would prefer to stay in town, but was forced on out of town routes because the drivers below me had no area knowledge and didn't have the experience driving in the winter...I was under the assumption that seniority prevailed in route selection for drivers without bid routes, but they claimed they could force me onto these routes because it was "best for the company"

It will most likely be 2 years until I will be able to win a bid on a route so I don't want to be dicked over for 2 more years being forced onto the worst routes just because the drivers below me can't read a map!

Also, I am in the western.

How is this going by the way? Any updates?

Rack em

Made the Podium
How is this going by the way? Any updates?
Haven't had any issues since so I haven't tried bumping anyone YET. Buuuuuut I did see a bid driver yesterday who's route was cut and they had him on what is my opinion the worst extended route in our center. He walked up to one of the younger guys and straight grabbed his board before the pcm and switched him lol. The young guy had only done the route once before so he said "I don't know this route or where I'm going" and the other driver said "Don't worry, you can use my maps." So that will be my new go to line.

I also talked briefly with my BA and he said route selection goes by seniority no matter what so I can bump anyone lower than me and if they have to they can send a supervisor out with them to train them. So hopefully this summer they will get a certain 3-4 drivers trained on some extended routes because some next winter they will be out there A LOT.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Haven't had any issues since so I haven't tried bumping anyone YET. Buuuuuut I did see a bid driver yesterday who's route was cut and they had him on what is my opinion the worst extended route in our center. He walked up to one of the younger guys and straight grabbed his board before the pcm and switched him lol. The young guy had only done the route once before so he said "I don't know this route or where I'm going" and the other driver said "Don't worry, you can use my maps." So that will be my new go to line.

I also talked briefly with my BA and he said route selection goes by seniority no matter what so I can bump anyone lower than me and if they have to they can send a supervisor out with them to train them. So hopefully this summer they will get a certain 3-4 drivers trained on some extended routes because some next winter they will be out there A LOT.

Swapping boards like that would not fly in my center.

542thruNthru

Good to hear it. I'm also happy to hear that your BA is on your side. The contract is in your favor but having a weak BA that wouldn't stand up for you would make it difficult.