Route selection

Rack em

Made the Podium
Is there anything Ups can do to force a higher seniority driver onto a more difficult or rural route just because certain drivers below him don't have "area knowledge"? This happened to me most of this winter where I would prefer to stay in town, but was forced on out of town routes because the drivers below me had no area knowledge and didn't have the experience driving in the winter...I was under the assumption that seniority prevailed in route selection for drivers without bid routes, but they claimed they could force me onto these routes because it was "best for the company"

It will most likely be 2 years until I will be able to win a bid on a route so I don't want to be dicked over for 2 more years being forced onto the worst routes just because the drivers below me can't read a map!

Also, I am in the western.

Tell your sup it’s time for them to train someone. We have drivers that only know 2 routes. And some can’t even drive a manual.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Tell your sup it’s time for them to train someone. We have drivers that only know 2 routes. And some can’t even drive a manual.
It shouldn't be my problem that the company doesn't want to train people how to do the job. I have seniority so I should be able to choose what open route I want to do before someone below me. I got thrown out blind on rural routes in all types of different weather so why shouldn't these other drivers?

MC0493

Seniority prevails, file a seniority grievance or start requesting routes. They can ask you to do certain routes and you may have to strong arm them to make them put someone else on it. We've got that issue here, many drivers only know 1 or 2 routes and it's finally catching up to management.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is there anything Ups can do to force a higher seniority driver onto a more difficult or rural route just because certain drivers below him don't have "area knowledge"? This happened to me most of this winter where I would prefer to stay in town, but was forced on out of town routes because the drivers below me had no area knowledge and didn't have the experience driving in the winter...I was under the assumption that seniority prevailed in route selection for drivers without bid routes, but they claimed they could force me onto these routes because it was "best for the company"

It will most likely be 2 years until I will be able to win a bid on a route so I don't want to be dicked over for 2 more years being forced onto the worst routes just because the drivers below me can't read a map!

Also, I am in the western.
I'll yield to those familiar with the Western Supplement, unlike Dan and his protege, but will suggest you work on the perception of your "aptitude" in the meantime.

In the Central Region we have Article 3, section 18 to help, but in my Local due to our Local Seniority Application, it doesn't apply (supposedly).

I didn't learn this lesson until I knew 26 routes in 6 years, before finally winning a bid route that I have held for the last 18 years.

Read between the lines.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seniority prevails, file a seniority grievance or start requesting routes. They can ask you to do certain routes and you may have to strong arm them to make them put someone else on it. We've got that issue here, many drivers only know 1 or 2 routes and it's finally catching up to management.

If he is FT bid cover he has no choice in the matter.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please point me to the specific article and section you found this?

We have 2-3 FT bid cover drivers in my center. They are guaranteed to work each and every day; however, they are not given preference on which route(s) they would like to run. They are assigned as needed. It is kind of fun to listen to them whine when they are sent out blind on one of tougher routes.

542thruNthru

I am a FT driver who doesn't have a bid route since none are available for bid, so yes I am a cover I suppose. Just like everyone else below me.

What rider are you under? Here they have tried the "area knowledge" card and have always lost. Im in the western region also.

File for not following seniority and keep filing. They always say you can't file and it's a lie.