Route selection

I was sent out blind on every route. Never once did anyone from management ride with me. They didn't even give me maps. Why was I held to higher standards than the new drivers?
I did that 176 times. You can be nice and let it go a couple times, if you want. But you can’t do that forever.

Rack em

Made the Podium
The only thing I have found that I could use against management is Article 4 Section 3 of the western supplement stating "The employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business"

542thruNthru

The only thing I have found that I could use against management is Article 4 Section 3 of the western supplement stating "The employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business"

File under article 4 section 3 of the WRS every time they do it and keep filing.

Overpaid Union Thug

Is there anything Ups can do to force a higher seniority driver onto a more difficult or rural route just because certain drivers below him don't have "area knowledge"? This happened to me most of this winter where I would prefer to stay in town, but was forced on out of town routes because the drivers below me had no area knowledge and didn't have the experience driving in the winter...I was under the assumption that seniority prevailed in route selection for drivers without bid routes, but they claimed they could force me onto these routes because it was "best for the company"

It will most likely be 2 years until I will be able to win a bid on a route so I don't want to be dicked over for 2 more years being forced onto the worst routes just because the drivers below me can't read a map!

Also, I am in the western.

In the Southern unassigned drivers (including part-time drivers) typically select routes based on seniority. And thats how its supposed to be. But every once in a while someone will get forced onto a route just like you are. The only thing that seems to stop this (sometimes) is to ask for the difference in pay when the grievance is filed. But we obviously only get the difference when the driver that got our route clocks out after us. The problem for me was that it seemed to always be a damn runner and gunner that was on the route I wanted. Damn runner and gunners. They friend* up everything.

Bingo. Will never go that far tho.

Rack em

Made the Podium
In the Southern unassigned drivers (including part-time drivers) typically select routes based on seniority. And thats how its supposed to be. But every once in a while someone will get forced onto a route just like you are. The only thing that seems to stop this (sometimes) is to ask for the difference in pay when the grievance is filed. But we obviously only get the difference when the driver that got our route clocks out after us. The problem for me was that it seemed to always be a damn runner and gunner that was on the route I wanted. Damn runner and gunners. They friend* up everything.
This isn't every once and a while though, it happens almost every week. If someone with a rural route calls in sick or is on vacation I am forced onto their route. When I start filing I will be asking for triple time for all hours worked because my seniority is being violated.

542thruNthru

This is exactly right. If you can, always make the grievance have a monetary penalty.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just when you go in tomorrow. See what rte they put you on, and ask can I do this route? Since I have seniority.
Been there done that, doesn't do a damn thing. A few months ago I had done an in town route Mon and Tues. then Wednesday morning my supervisor text me saying I'd be out of town and to come prepared. Texted back saying I wanted the same route I had done the previous 2 days and his reply was No.