Routes cut

govols019

You smell that?
They like to cut routes on friday in the hopes that we will hump off the work fast to get started as early as possible for the weekend! :sad-little:

Same here and I always tell them the same thing, I go the same speed on Friday as I do on Monday.

SWORDFISH

I also dont understand this thinking grgrcr88. I recently took over a route that was way over dispactched and it took alot of fighting and late nights but today I was off at about 9hrs and that has been pretty regular now. I also dont understand this business of taking lunch at the end of the day. Who ever is doing that is clearly not from the WEST US cuz you would get shot for that. You should know there was a HUGE lawsuit(about 6yrs ago or so) won by UPS drivers over lunches. You guys in other regions should learn from that. However I dont know your state laws on lunch so maybe this is useless info to you. Lunch means lunch not convienant break or dinner.

softshoe

... I and most everyone else in the situation prefer to have our job. Come hell or high water, we get paid for the hours we work but I don't get a pay check if I don't have a job. Now, given the support of our Union leadership, things might be different but it just ain't so...

I have the same question. How do you lose your job?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have the same question. How do you lose your job?

How do you think your going to lose your job?

Guys, if I am not mistaken I think that Nanook is concerned that filing grievances may paint a target on his back. You know as well as I do that this is a distinct possibility. It takes a lot of testicular fortitude to stand and fight. And one has to be in it for the long haul. Totally committed. It is not easy to intentionally put ones job at risk. But, the benefits are great (no not BBAG :surprised:). As long as one is doing the job by the book, to the best of one's ability then one can survive the onslaught that WILL happen. One has to be willing to go out with a sup on an OJS and listen and learn. Being able to do this is a huge key in surviving.

I started filing 9.5 grievances when I was on probabtion. My BA didn't like it or agree with it but he stood behind me on it. I have won many 9.5's and the company knows that I will stand and fight for certain things. But I pick my battles and I stick to them. It took me 2 years to get to the point that I rarely have to file 9.5's anymore. It was a LONG fought battle. In the end it was worth it.

SWORDFISH

Guys, if I am not mistaken I think that Nanook is concerned that filing grievances may paint a target on his back. You know as well as I do that this is a distinct possibility. It takes a lot of testicular fortitude to stand and fight. And one has to be in it for the long haul. Totally committed. It is not easy to intentionally put ones job at risk. But, the benefits are great (no not BBAG :surprised:). As long as one is doing the job by the book, to the best of one's ability then one can survive the onslaught that WILL happen. One has to be willing to go out with a sup on an OJS and listen and learn. Being able to do this is a huge key in surviving.

I started filing 9.5 grievances when I was on probabtion. My BA didn't like it or agree with it but he stood behind me on it. I have won many 9.5's and the company knows that I will stand and fight for certain things. But I pick my battles and I stick to them. It took me 2 years to get to the point that I rarely have to file 9.5's anymore. It was a LONG fought battle. In the end it was worth it.

You have a great point. I think all of us are kinda of saying that cuz we have been through what you said and are now out the other side and know that you can win. I say that anything in life worth fighting for can be like that though and wasnt it so rewarding when you made it through the other end of the tunnel to the light. It was for me. One reason I love being a shop steward trying to help people through these situations cuz support is vital.

satellitedriver

As I have said many times in the past, the only reason you guys work that many hours is because you allow it. File the 9.5 grievances and it will stop. Take your full lunch at the contractually agreed upon time, call the center and tell them you will have missed bussinesses if thats the case, and that will stop. Don't come in early and work off the clock, or work thru your paid break and sooner, rather than later you will see, the hours will be reduced, as will the bussiness deliveries.

YOU HAVE A CONTRACT TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, USE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Slick,
First off, we -(in this area)- can not file 9.5 on extended routes, per the contract, and this stance is supported by the BA.
I take an hours lunch everyday.
I can make all business deliveries and pickups and do the add/cut BS, but that leaves me with 6 hours of rural routes to cleanup after 4 o'clock.
Yes,
there is a contract and it is being enforced, to the letter of the law, by UPS in this area.

grgrcr88,
Your wisdom and knowledge has been noted, but it does not apply to all that work at UPS.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

How are you getting 9.5 protection as FT cover? Or did you get your own route??

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
FT cover drivers get 9.5 protection here. We heard some rumors about country routes being excluded, but nothing ever materialized. We have routes that regularly go over 200 miles and they get 9.5 protection if they choose to file.

flht

Our ctr cuts routes everyday EXCEPT Wednesday. Four days a week. We just had a pt driver quit because he could no longer shoulder the lost income.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Slick,
First off, we -(in this area)- can not file 9.5 on extended routes, per the contract, and this stance is supported by the BA.
I take an hours lunch everyday.
I can make all business deliveries and pickups and do the add/cut BS, but that leaves me with 6 hours of rural routes to cleanup after 4 o'clock.
Yes,
there is a contract and it is being enforced, to the letter of the law, by UPS in this area.

grgrcr88,
Your wisdom and knowledge has been noted, but it does not apply to all that work at UPS.

Once again o say, the only reason it is like that for you Satelitedriver, is because you all have allowed it. it may be a past practice thing in your franchise, but I assure you that would never fly here.

Dilligaf, I see your point and agree, it can be an attention getter, filling a grievance. I guess I don't see the problem though, because I treat every day as if my D/M is in the jumpseat next to me. If you folks are following the methods all day every day, there is no worries.

beatupbrown

I was a runner gunner tell they packed me up with more stops cut routes, and then I took a full lunch! When I did that they rode with me and harassed me.
I was not intimidated I would not leave the lunch tell one minute to go with stupid visor breathing down my neck. You must have a spine and stand up or they walk all over you .I know we have all heard this a million times but folks need to keep hearing this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How are you getting 9.5 protection as FT cover? Or did you get your own route??
We do get protection but (and this is a huge but) there are exceptions to it. First, I have to bid on and be on a bid rte for a full week. If (again a big if) I am forced over during that week then I can put my name on the 9.5 list for that particular rte. (no greivance yet). If I am on that rte again for a week and I am forced over again, then I can file on it. I have to complete the process for each individual rte. This process started lasted year and the union agreed to it. Talk about throwing me under a bus. And yes, our rural rtes are part of this process. We got this one because work can be taken off to accomodate 9.5's. I try not to bitch about it to much because they were trying to do the same thing as they have done in some areas and take 9.5's completely away from cover drivers. My Local did stop that from happening.