RTD Pay Progression

Oldfart

Okay Earl. By your own admission, you know nothing about UPS.
I did work there years ago and find it hard to believe any company the size of UPS would have employees that would go months without seeing a supervisor. I don't spend time like you do on their forum but unlike you, I have common sense and believe those drivers were pulling your chain.

I have a package car driver as a neighbor on 1 side and a feeder driver on the other side. I bet both of them see a supervisor more than once every few months.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I did work there years ago and find it hard to believe any company the size of UPS would have employees that would go months without seeing a supervisor. I don't spend time like you do on their forum but unlike you, I have common sense and believe those drivers were pulling your chain.

I have a package car driver as a neighbor on 1 side and a feeder driver on the other side. I bet both of them see a supervisor more than once every few months.
Oops. I meant to say THEIR supervisor. You are correct

sandwich

The resident gearhead
There's always the element of fear when you're dealing with the unknown. I completely understand and have been in your shoes before too. But also consider you're considering going to UPS.......not "Jim's Trucking" or "Prime" or whatever else where a lot of things could go wrong. UPS is a super stable company with deep pockets. The only big downside to UPS is they try to micromanage you, but I'm not sure if it's that way with their semi drivers. But yes, there are pluses and minuses to every job. FedEx RTDs has pluses in that you don't work very hard and have a lot of down time. A minus is you don't get paid very high. You have to way it all out.
Im not sure what ups you work at but, They can micromanage themselves straight to a harrassment grievance.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Im not sure what ups you work at but, They can micromanage themselves straight to a harrassment grievance.
Well for the package car drivers.....they know how many times you've buckled and unbuckled your seatbelt and then compare that to how many stops you have and if it doesn't match up, you get in trouble. They have GPS on their trucks so if you scan a package before you're at the actual address, it shows up on some report. They also can tell if you've backed up your package car which is a huge no no. Yes, that kind of stuff is like harassment in my opinion, but it's all legal. So monitoring if you scanned a package before arriving at the actual delivery address is micromanagement. Oh and I don't work at UPS.

fedx

Extra Large Package
What's the pay range for RTD?
Depends on where you live and the cost of living, but new hire starting pay is $18.XX (for most cities) to around $23.XX (like if you live in San Francisco). Obviously you're not going to live very well in some place like San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, etc making $23 an hour. Then you're "supposed" to get about a $1 per hr raise per year. So after a decade, you should be from $28/hr (for most cities) to like $33 in places like San Diego.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Post office is hiring. Post office Guy at my pickup said they are looking to hire 11 class a drivers at his location.

Oldfart

Gotcha on the geographical aspect. Pay is low to start, limited OT, and 10 years to top out? That sucks. :-/
Limited OT? Not around here?
Plenty for the taking. Just the desire to work is all that is required. Or you could be like UPS and be doing 60 hrs a week this time of year. Plenty of money but tell your family goodbye. You will see them again in January.

zeev

Central region also top rate 32.25 hr. All the hours up to DOT max. Average seniority 28 years. Drivers get trained and leave. Also trying to hire drivers directly off the street and using more and more contractors.

Csdsm18

Yea like I said I don't have it to bad at my station. 45-47hrs a week is good for me. Plus plenty of home time. I know both companies have there ups and downs but I'm pretty content with what I have now. Also I heard UPS you can't transfer state to state. You basically have to be rehired again and start over. That was a huge turn off for me.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Well for the package car drivers.....they know how many times you've buckled and unbuckled your seatbelt and then compare that to how many stops you have and if it doesn't match up, you get in trouble. They have GPS on their trucks so if you scan a package before you're at the actual address, it shows up on some report. They also can tell if you've backed up your package car which is a huge no no. Yes, that kind of stuff is like harassment in my opinion, but it's all legal. So monitoring if you scanned a package before arriving at the actual delivery address is micromanagement. Oh and I don't work at UPS.
It's called telematics. You dont "get in trouble" for any of that. If they talked to me about 1 or 2 seat belt violations I would grieve them for harrassment before the meeting was over. Unless they are following you and witness you doing any violation in person. They cant talk to you about anything.

If they were following me because I have 1 or 2 seat belt violations over the course of my 190 stop day. I would grieve them for harrassment for following me.

I haven't had 1 talk with about anything (except for calling in sick, attendance review) in years.