RTD Pay Progression

Nolimitz

I do not remember Fedex ever declaring the 20 year time to top of range you mentioned. I never knew how people behind me got raises but considering they just published an exact time frame for raises, I don't believe you can say it was 20 years.

It may not have been declared, but when the 10 step program was started there were many 10-12 year vets that came in at step 3. 7/9 more yrs to top out = 20/22 yrs. It will be 17 yrs for me before I top out and I will be gone (retired) before then.

Oldfart

Where did you hear of this $100,000 bonus pertaining to exiting pilots staying through peak? I'm curious, haven't heard anything of the sort . I generally hear more than most, I have large ears. Educate me please.
Yep. Announced 3 or 4 weeks ago. Up to 100k to stay thru peak.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Where did you hear of this $100,000 bonus pertaining to exiting pilots staying through peak? I'm curious, haven't heard anything of the sort . I generally hear more than most, I have large ears. Educate me please.
Go to Forums/The Competition, look under Fedex Discussions for Fedex Headlines. Click and it's the first article.

MAKAVELI

Did I ever say their black box would monitor the mirror? Might want to have a 5th grader read you my post. It is a rule according to my neighbor and the drivers that I talked to. Are you suggesting you know more than the drivers that told me it is a rule or maybe you are looking at UPS drivers that simply are not following the rules. You seem to know everything, even the work rules at UPS. Interesting.
Maybe you put your 3rd grade skills to use here.
https://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/do-you-fold-in-your-mirrors-at-every-stop.373692/

fedx

Extra Large Package

fedx

Extra Large Package
Some of your info is correct but some is incorrect.
Fedex did not top out in 3 months in the 80's. I was there way before that and it was 15 or 18 months. At least where I was.
I do not remember Fedex ever declaring the 20 year time to top of range you mentioned. I never knew how people behind me got raises but considering they just published an exact time frame for raises, I don't believe you can say it was 20 years.

Fedex Express drivers deliver the SAME weight boxes that UPS does. Express weight limit is 150lbs and every Express driver has delivered packages that were in the 160lb range.

RTD pay is anywhere from close to 30 to close to 35, depending on the market. Not a bad salary for the work required. Drop and swap or loading pallets with a jack or forklift and not having to be away from home or deal with the hassles many truck drivers deal with is pretty sweet. I did it for 15 or so years and it was a easy money, I just got tired of the early hours and jumped back in a 900.
I based it on what a couple of very long time employees said. One has been at Express for 40yrs. A couple of them said it was 3 months to top out. It may not have been that way for very long though. Twenty years isn't anything official. It is based on the fact that employees who still work where I'm at told me it took them 20 years to top out. It's also based on the new pay progression at my location where 12 year employees are at step 2, 13 year employees are at step 3. So it's still going to take them 20 years to top out even with the new pay progression. I know Express drivers can deliver up to 150lbs, but most of their packages are way less than that on average. UPS on average have heavier boxes because it's ground freight. Again, I'm talking on average. So a 20 year vet at UPS has lifted many times more very heavy boxes compared to an Express driver just because air freight is more expense to ship, so there's less of it. And yes RTD top out pay is from $28-$35 if you make it 10 years at the new pay progression or 20 some odd years under the old system. But what I'm saying is they should reach top out in 5 years instead of 10 just because there is a shortage of truck drivers and there's lots of other companies that will hire them. If Express wants to do away with their RTD shortage problem, then they need to do something to keep them-like top out in 5 years.

Oldfart

You have serious reading comprehension problems. According that thread it's a method that most don't follow. Ttku old flatulence.:happy2:
I stated they were TOLD to fold in the mirror. It is up to the employee to follow what they were TOLD. Tupac, you show your ignorance with every post. Bummer.

Oldfart

I based it on what a couple of very long time employees said. One has been at Express for 40yrs. A couple of them said it was 3 months to top out. It may not have been that way for very long though. Twenty years isn't anything official. It is based on the fact that employees who still work where I'm at told me it took them 20 years to top out. It's also based on the new pay progression at my location where 12 year employees are at step 2, 13 year employees are at step 3. So it's still going to take them 20 years to top out even with the new pay progression. I know Express drivers can deliver up to 150lbs, but most of their packages are way less than that on average. UPS on average have heavier boxes because it's ground freight. Again, I'm talking on average. So a 20 year vet at UPS has lifted many times more very heavy boxes compared to an Express driver just because air freight is more expense to ship, so there's less of it. And yes RTD top out pay is from $28-$35 if you make it 10 years at the new pay progression or 20 some odd years under the old system. But what I'm saying is they should reach top out in 5 years instead of 10 just because there is a shortage of truck drivers and there's lots of other companies that will hire them. If Express wants to do away with their RTD shortage problem, then they need to do something to keep them-like top out in 5 years.
You simply have no idea what you are talking about when you keep talking about the weight of the packages. Plenty of Express couriers deliver 100 lb boxes on a regular basis. Depends on the route. Some routes that deliver to car dealers deliver trans axles and engine parts and rear end housings on a daily basis. Routes in an industrial area will deliver heavy machine parts on a regular basis. Routes in a financial district will deliver plenty of docs. You just can't make a general statement that Express does not deliver heavy boxes. Simply isn't true.
As far as salary. I was already topped out for several years when your 40 year source was hired. It could have been different in different regions back then but my raises were 3/9 and 15 or 18 months or something very close to that. We did not top out in 3 months in my region.

Oldfart

You need to learn a little (lot) more about UPS procedures.
Just going by what I saw on a daily basis when I was running a route and what my neighbor that drives a package car told me. Doesn't matter to me, I no longer work at UPS.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just going by what I saw on a daily basis when I was running a route and what my neighbor that drives a package car told me. Doesn't matter to me, I no longer work at UPS.

Me neither, but I still know way more than you about the methods and procedures.

fedx

Extra Large Package
You simply have no idea what you are talking about when you keep talking about the weight of the packages. Plenty of Express couriers deliver 100 lb boxes on a regular basis. Depends on the route. Some routes that deliver to car dealers deliver trans axles and engine parts and rear end housings on a daily basis. Routes in an industrial area will deliver heavy machine parts on a regular basis. Routes in a financial district will deliver plenty of docs. You just can't make a general statement that Express does not deliver heavy boxes. Simply isn't true.
As far as salary. I was already topped out for several years when your 40 year source was hired. It could have been different in different regions back then but my raises were 3/9 and 15 or 18 months or something very close to that. We did not top out in 3 months in my region.
You might be right. I was just basing it off of the entire FedEx vs UPS delivery system. Maybe Express drivers do deliver as heavy and as much freight as UPS drivers. I was just basing it off of what I see where I'm at. I see lots and lots of boxes on the sort that are 20lbs or less. Maybe UPS does deliver same size packages as Express. I'll take your word for it. Hmmm so you've been at Express for more than 40 years? Wow, you really are an old fart! At UPS they had a feeder driver that was at 50 years and they called him Big Dog. Maybe you should go by that moniker too. You gotta be getting close to 50 if you were already topped out several years before a 40 yr veteran had started. So in reality, you have to be one of the longest term employees in all of FedEx. I know there's a lot of people on here that don't like you, but being at any job for more than 40 years is pretty damn impressive-I don't care who you are.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Me neither, but I still know way more than you about the methods and procedures.
That's true. But Tupac did find a post where UPS drivers were TOLD to fold in their mirrors and the drivers were complaining about doing it. How do you explain that?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That's true. But Tupac did find a post where UPS drivers were TOLD to fold in their mirrors and the drivers were complaining about doing it. How do you explain that?

Very simple. We merely mentioned it was a safety issue and refused to do it.

Oldfart

You might be right. I was just basing it off of the entire FedEx vs UPS delivery system. Maybe Express drivers do deliver as heavy and as much freight as UPS drivers. I was just basing it off of what I see where I'm at. I see lots and lots of boxes on the sort that are 20lbs or less. Maybe UPS does deliver same size packages as Express. I'll take your word for it. Hmmm so you've been at Express for more than 40 years? Wow, you really are an old fart! At UPS they had a feeder driver that was at 50 years and they called him Big Dog. Maybe you should go by that moniker too. You gotta be getting close to 50 if you were already topped out several years before a 40 yr veteran had started. So in reality, you have to be one of the longest term employees in all of FedEx. I know there's a lot of people on here that don't like you, but being at any job for more than 40 years is pretty damn impressive-I don't care who you are.
Company is only 45 years old so no I am nowhere near 50 years. Last time I looked at the company seniority list I was somewhere in the lower 100's but I am not sure when that list was last updated. Yes I am old and have seen a lot. I started when I was right out of high school and will be calling it quits in the not too distant future. Just went part time and working just a few hours a week for insurance reasons.

Oldfart

Very simple. We merely mentioned it was a safety issue and refused to do it.
Very simple. I merely mentioned the drivers told me they were instructed to do it and tupac said I was mistaken. I last ran a route in October and saw the guys near me doing it and my neighbor confirmed they were doing as instructed. The post tupac found and your post here just prove me right and him wrong. Again!!! Dang, tupac makes it way too easy to show him ignorant.

Last edited: