RTD Pay Progression

fedx

Extra Large Package
Since there's such a shortage and high demand for semi drivers, does anyone think FedEx Express might bump up the RTD pay progression? I think FedEx is having issues training truck drivers who then go to greener pastures when they get a chance. People move up from a handler or courier to being an RTD and then after a year or so, go get a truck driving job that pays $5/hr or more than FedEx. The cost it takes to train truck drivers only to lose them after a year or so has to be an issue for Express. I know RTD's are in the same classification as ramp agents, but I don't see a lot of ramp agent jobs posted on job sites (in fact, I don't see any). I don't think Express has a problem losing ramp agents or couriers to competitors. So does anything think Express will speed up the pay progression for RTDs due to the high demand for truck drivers?

Csdsm18

I would hope so but very doubtful of it. We just lost 3 people in a month that hoped over to UPS. I'm thinking about it myself. I'm on step 4 it'll take another 7yrs to top out that's if it goes as planned or I can go to ups and top out in 4yrs making 4 more an hour plus lots of OT.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I would hope so but very doubtful of it. We just lost 3 people in a month that hoped over to UPS. I'm thinking about it myself. I'm on step 4 it'll take another 7yrs to top out that's if it goes as planned or I can go to ups and top out in 4yrs making 4 more an hour plus lots of OT.
I would if I was you. Better benefits, pay and pension. Look at the UPS thread for feeder drivers. Those guys are very happy in their jobs.

Csdsm18

Just only downfall is getting a day route takes a long long time where here isn't that bad. But then again day route or mornings are only 8hrs nothing more. Luckily I have a route with built in OT I get about 5-7hrs a week.

Serf

This has been an issue for years. Wonder if they would create some sort of retention bonus, etc?

fedx

Extra Large Package
I would seriously consider doing that. There aren't and hasn't been any feeder drivers jobs where I live and I've look at UPS' job site almost daily for a couple of years now. This month they finally have some temp/seasonal ones that came up, but I wouldn't go there just to be a temp. But for you Csdm18, you have to think of the opportunity cost. Figure how much a year you make now, will make next year, the year after....all the way up to 6-7 years from now. Then figure how much you'd make at UPS at their starting pay, then their pay next year, and the year after, etc. You'll probably find out that you'll lose out on close to $50,000 (or more) over the course of 7 years if you don't go to UPS if you have the chance. I think FedEx needs to step up their retention efforts of RTDs. They are paying pilots who were going to retire this year a $100,000 bonus to stay with the company till after peak. They have the resources to keep people.

Yankeefan

You don't see Ramp Agent jobs posted because there's far fewer openings compared to RTD. My Ramp only has 12 total and half of those are DOT so they also can drive when needed. Factor in the amount of training on each type of GSE and weight and balance for each type of plane as well as it being a leadership position it's just easier to hire from within a handler that has already completed a lot of that training minus W&B.

Csdsm18

I would seriously consider doing that. There aren't and hasn't been any feeder drivers jobs where I live and I've look at UPS' job site almost daily for a couple of years now. This month they finally have some temp/seasonal ones that came up, but I wouldn't go there just to be a temp. But for you Csdm18, you have to think of the opportunity cost. Figure how much a year you make now, will make next year, the year after....all the way up to 6-7 years from now. Then figure how much you'd make at UPS at their starting pay, then their pay next year, and the year after, etc. You'll probably find out that you'll lose out on close to $50,000 (or more) over the course of 7 years if you don't go to UPS if you have the chance. I think FedEx needs to step up their retention efforts of RTDs. They are paying pilots who were going to retire this year a $100,000 bonus to stay with the company till after peak. They have the resources to keep people.
Yes I hear you on that. I think I'm just scared that if I do it and regret it I'll have to start all over again at express or go else where. Plus I feel with express you can have a life outside of work as your not working long nights or days. I have a route an get about 45-47hrs a week now, plus if I come in on my day off that's another 6-8hrs of OT. So yea it's definitely a decision for me. I know they have a much better benefits at UPS that you don't have to pay for along with the pension.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yes I hear you on that. I think I'm just scared that if I do it and regret it I'll have to start all over again at express or go else where. Plus I feel with express you can have a life outside of work as your not working long nights or days. I have a route an get about 45-47hrs a week now, plus if I come in on my day off that's another 6-8hrs of OT. So yea it's definitely a decision for me. I know they have a much better benefits at UPS that you don't have to pay for along with the pension.
@Covemastah @over9five and @Coldworld can tell you how it is.

Oldfart

You missed my point but, I wasn’t talking to you anyway. Plus, what else is new?
Going to work everyday to a job you hate must suck. How and why do you do it?

My manager really did me wrong this week. I am supposed to only work 10 hrs a week. They made me work 11 and actually asked me to stay over longer 1 day. What were they thinking?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Going to work everyday to a job you hate must suck. How and why do you do it?

My manager really did me wrong this week. I am supposed to only work 10 hrs a week. They made me work 11 and actually asked me to stay over longer 1 day. What were they thinking?
54EF05F8-C9D0-4664-98EF-8BC016AF984B.gif

fedx

Extra Large Package
There's always the element of fear when you're dealing with the unknown. I completely understand and have been in your shoes before too. But also consider you're considering going to UPS.......not "Jim's Trucking" or "Prime" or whatever else where a lot of things could go wrong. UPS is a super stable company with deep pockets. The only big downside to UPS is they try to micromanage you, but I'm not sure if it's that way with their semi drivers. But yes, there are pluses and minuses to every job. FedEx RTDs has pluses in that you don't work very hard and have a lot of down time. A minus is you don't get paid very high. You have to way it all out.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There's always the element of fear when you're dealing with the unknown. I completely understand and have been in your shoes before too. But also consider you're considering going to UPS.......not "Jim's Trucking" or "Prime" or whatever else where a lot of things could go wrong. UPS is a super stable company with deep pockets. The only big downside to UPS is they try to micromanage you, but I'm not sure if it's that way with their semi drivers. But yes, there are pluses and minuses to every job. FedEx RTDs has pluses in that you don't work very hard and have a lot of down time. A minus is you don't get paid very high. You have to way it all out.
The UPS feeder drivers say they can go weeks maybe months without seeing a supervisor. And they don’t have to touch a package or a can.