Rules on fighting??

dirty moose

So i talk to my BA and shop steward, they both told me they would take to the guy.
I figured thats what would happen.
Hopefully this guy gets the hint.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
let me post this to where the feel good touchy type shop stewards can understand

you witness and know of an hourly stealing packages from ups. do you report the employee to management? or do you ignore it? or maybe talk to them about it? what do you do???

well, take it one step further. you do nothing, or talk to the guy to get him to quit his actions. ups finds out about it. where is your back end gonna be in this case? in legal terms, you are an accessory after the fact, and for many things, that will get you in as deep a problem as the original employee

when you take it upon yourself to "handle it yourself" you assume a huge responsibility, much larger than the union will back you on. you get caught, you will face very harsh action by the company.

add to that fighting is not just against company rules, its against the law to physically strike another person. so they have you for covering up a crime at ups as well

if you can get involved before it happens, fine, do your job. once the first blow hits, they are the ones that will need to pay the price for their actions.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Goood point Daniel. I, for one would not risk my job for some idiot maroon that thinks it's ok to fight or steal. Nope, not going to happen.

dragracer66

Last time I checked fighting wasn't aganist the law. And if I saw somebody stealing I don't say nothing. If they get caught and I'm brought in to represent them I tell them I witnessed them do it one time also and I tell them to resign for personal reasons before they get terminated......

chester farmer

Last time I checked fighting wasn't aganist the law. And if I saw somebody stealing I don't say nothing. ......
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
say no more.....................................

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And if I saw somebody stealing I don't say nothing. If they get caught and I'm brought in to represent them I tell them I witnessed them do it one time also and I tell them to resign for personal reasons before they get terminated......

first off, what do you do when they refuse to 1. stop, 2. resign?

then, are you going to resign instead of being fired for conspiracy to commit interstate theft? cause that is what ups will do. union or no

d

Stealing and fighting are not quite the same thing. One is dishonest and the other very honest. As a steward. I would think, that in the fighting case if he could handle the problem without getting anyone fired, that would be the thing to do. ONCE.
Simple fighting is a misdemeanor, stealing can well be a federal offense. Dang near apples and oranges.

Danny, would you report your own brother to the law if you saw him steal something?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
he could do it himself, or i would.

along with many other issues in life that are bad, they will exist and spread when good men stand by and do nothing

while the level of "crime" might not be the same, wrong is wrong. rules are applied to all equally. its your choice as to the outcome of your life

remember 3 strikes? drew the line, made a big difference in crime. but then someone blinked when the third strike was two bottles of beer, and the whole program went flying

stand for something. others might not like you for it, but they will know and respect you for your honesty and ethics

d

dragracer66

Stealing and fighting are not quite the same thing. One is dishonest and the other very honest. As a steward. I would think, that in the fighting case if he could handle the problem without getting anyone fired, that would be the thing to do. ONCE.
Simple fighting is a misdemeanor, stealing can well be a federal offense. Dang near apples and oranges.

Danny, would you report your own brother to the law if you saw him steal something?
Sounds like there are alot of tattle tales on hear more than I would ever imagine. I'm just glad they don't work at my location. I thought teamsters were strong union guys apparently some don't see it that way. I just can't believe somebody who see's something just can't let it go,eventually they will get caught they always get caught

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
really? does that include some of your "brothers" that icepicked a driver for crossing a picket line?

funny, i guess i hold my brothers to a higher standard of conduct, not just cause they pay $60 a month to a union.

d

dragracer66

really? does that include some of your "brothers" that icepicked a driver for crossing a picket line?

funny, i guess i hold my brothers to a higher standard of conduct, not just cause they pay $60 a month to a union.

d
Hey Dan.....I'm not saying every union person is an angel, I have no time for people like that. I just saying if a union employee see's something like a fight or stealing it's not our postion to tell on them. That's not the way I was taught through the years. Is is wrong I don't know is it right I don't know, but for me and alot of people I work with everything is usually dealt with in house we don't get management involved. Thats all I'm trying to say. I really didn't mean to start this big problem on here. I was just shocked when I read what Chester Farmer did when he saw 2 people fighting. I just think it could have been handled alittle differently.....

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have a situation right now with 2 ptimers. The one says the other one is lazy and does not hold up his end of the work. This has been going on for a couple of weeks and now i found out about it.

I grabbed them both and told them to cut out the bs, this is their only warning from me and next time they see me it could be to represent them in their termination case. I asked them if thats what they wanted? They both said no, i told them that they are not sups and the sups have not said anything about the one guys work ethics, and it was not any of the others business. You get paid by the hour and cut the bs out.

So what happens, the guy gets his girl involved who happens to be on the same shift and a steward. She claims that the guy ran over her foot with the bulk cart. Shes just trying to get back at this other guy, but now it has cost her a steward job.

Now all three have been warned by sups and myself to stop it or look elsewere for employment.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
drag

please also don't take my responses wrong

as a ups employee for 33 years, i saw a lot of things, some great, some about as low as you can get.

during those years, and several o friend them as shop steward, i tried to be a peace maker. listen to all sides, but stay neutral. you can usually tell what is said and done in jest, and what is not. as a shop steward, one thing we have to also do is prevent those that dont know better or are not thinking right, to keep them from losing their jobs.

and as such, you get pretty good at picking out the real issues from the bull. thats why i sometimes come down pretty hard on posters that claim they are the virgin mary, and the rest of the world is wrong. i miss once in awhile, but not too often:wink2:

some times we do the job a bit too well, for those that cant seem to get the big picture

three times i helped drivers that quit while either on the clock, or prior to clocking in, keep their jobs. they had some suspension time, but kept their jobs. two have self destructed since and no longer work here

believe it or not, i have even gotten ups to allow some drivers to keep their jobs, that were caught falsifying records. but that was the exception to the rule.

while management varies from area to area, and era, i find that the majority i have dealt with to be fair and pretty compassionate when it comes to an employee losing their livelihood.

as a shop steward going, with you as an employee, to turn yourself into management and admitting you stole/attempted to steal, i might be able to save your job. maybe.

having lp catch you and you lying about it.......lucky for so many that ups only prosecutes less than 5%.........well then again, if the went after every one maybe the rest would get the picture?

not that long ago, my 3 year old daughter stole some gum while at the checkout at walmart. we found out in the parking lot. i made her go to the service desk and had them page the manager, buddy. in the meantime, i got to buddy first and explained to him what was going on, and told him to be tough on her.

poor buddy, within 2 minutes he was almost in tears as my daughter asked for his forgiveness, offered to pay for the candy with her own money, all the while promising never ever to take anything without paying for it again.

for years after, every time we were there, and she spied buddy, she would run up to him and hug him.

while that example is a bit juvenile in relation to this discussion, the principle remains. the only person that can damage your integrity and ethical conduct is you. and when you are faced with something you did that was wrong, better to turn yourself in than be busted by someone else.

that being said, ups does have employees that are very capable of showing up for work and going postal, and not talking only of fighting here.

d