Rumors of buy out?

vantexan

Hahaha! $10,000? Who in their right mind would leave for that little bit of money?
If they're eligible for the traditional and have little debt some might go for it. Might have to bump it up a bit. But remember it's the fulltimers across the board, not just senior couriers, who'll be getting free money. If they reduce the workforce and restructure rts it will save them a lot of money. And with the markets crashing we may be in a bear market for some time. Might not be easy to quit FedEx and find another job. So wouldn't count on too many quitting a 30 hr job to go work at a forty hour job paying less per hour especially if many of those jobs have dried up in this and unless they have a pension to supplement whatever they can find.

zeev

High paid drivers replaced by drivers making 10-12 dollars an hour less, plus less vacation. Amazon has no interest in FDX they do just fine with their patchwork of contractors.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
High paid drivers replaced by drivers making 10-12 dollars an hour less, plus less vacation. Amazon has no interest in FDX they do just fine with their patchwork of contractors.

If FDX continues to tank, they've got a large aircraft fleet and facilities that could be a real bargain for Bezos if he wants to expand into Express common carriage or further expand his Prime coverage and capabilities.

More importantly, they have landing slots and routes. If you recall, the 1989 Flying Tiger purchase was all about landing rights and slots, not Tigers itself.

The desert is full of freighters right now, most of them fuel hogs and/or obsolete. When you start parking newer more fuel-efficient freighters, and you can buy jet fuel futures for peanuts and lock them in, there are lots of possibilities.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Makes little sense to buy out someone who'll soon be leaving.
They'll be telling you that probably sooner than later.

Why should they keep your position since they've pretty much given up and going Ground and since you're most likely the one with the least seniority?

bacha29

If FDX continues to tank, they've got a large aircraft fleet and facilities that could be a real bargain for Bezos if he wants to expand into Express common carriage or further expand his Prime coverage and capabilities.

More importantly, they have landing slots and routes. If you recall, the 1989 Flying Tiger purchase was all about landing rights and slots, not Tigers itself.

The desert is full of freighters right now, most of them fuel hogs and/or obsolete. When you start parking newer more fuel-efficient freighters, and you can buy jet fuel futures for peanuts and lock them in, there are lots of possibilities.
Delta in a press release announced the other day the they will be parking a third of it's planes. If Bezos or anybody for that matter wants to have a go at it starting Wednesday the getting is going to get good.

bacha29

Something worth a look . The most recent numbers I can find says that Buffet has 128 billion cash on hand while Bezos has 55 billion on hand. With Fat Freddy's market cap now down to 27B both Buffet and Bezos having more than enough cash to launch a bid for X . Not to mention that one or the other or perhaps both join forces buy X then break it up and sell off what they don't want or can't use in order to gain federal approval.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Something worth a look . The most recent numbers I can find says that Buffet has 128 billion cash on hand while Bezos has 55 billion on hand. With Fat Freddy's market cap now down to 27B both Buffet and Bezos having more than enough cash to launch a bid for X . Not to mention that one or the other or perhaps both join forces buy X then break it up and sell off what they don't want or can't use in order to gain federal approval.

I don't know enough about high level finance or anti-trust laws, but it does seem reasonable that there would be potential buyers for the Express opco, which is now also the Ground opco, which might complicate things.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Enterprise Value is the theoretical takeover price. It is more comprehensive than market capitalization (market cap), which only includes common equity. Enterprise Value is calculated as the market cap plus debt and minority interest and preferred shares, minus total cash and cash equivalents. FedEx's Enterprise Value for Today is $59,029 Mil.

bbsam

Staff member
No they don’t. Amazon needs to be able to deliver to every address in the nation and they need the infrastructure to get there. Buying Fedex gets them far closer far faster than anything else.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No they don’t. Amazon needs to be able to deliver to every address in the nation and they need the infrastructure to get there. Buying Fedex gets them far closer far faster than anything else.
When did Bezos confide this to you?

Must’ve come to you in a dream. Now go back to sleep.

vantexan

But then they'll be a full-time delivery company delivering everything else besides Amazon too. And it will be quite awhile before the breakeven point is reached where profits outweigh the cost of buying FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member
But then they'll be a full-time delivery company delivering everything else besides Amazon too. And it will be quite awhile before the breakeven point is reached where profits outweigh the cost of buying FedEx.
Everything about expansion is expensive and everything takes time to pay off.

bbsam

Staff member
That's not building infrastructure over time. It's a huge upfront expense that may not pay off. And he still has to get his hands on enough shares.
If you have the money up front and it’s cheaper to do it now...
Or if you wanted to borrow the money now at 0% interest...
Things probably don’t get to be a better time than right now to expand.

Damon77

To think that after 20 years you haven’t learned how they can turn up the heat whenever they want...

That's what I'm saying. Me and the rest of the 20+ year guys and gals have stayed even after some of the most underhanded moves by management. We have made careers out of dealing with it. I mean, I'm still not even topped out after 21 years on road.

bbsam

Staff member
That's what I'm saying. Me and the rest of the 20+ year guys and gals have stayed even after some of the most underhanded moves by management. We have made careers out of dealing with it. I mean, I'm still not even topped out after 21 years on road.
Well they’ve wanted you to stay. Now when they don’t want you to stay, it can get much hotter much faster.

zeev

They already do every address with UPS USPS, and a host of no name contractors better to contract than risk fighting a union off.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Why should they keep your position since they've pretty much given up and going Ground and since you're most likely the one with the least seniority?

Because I told them that there's an idiot on here who replies to me for nothing but the sake of replying to me and he'll be bored if they get rid of me. They asked me to prove it and I directed them to your posts. After review, they gave me a raise and a guaranteed contract; said that keeping you occupied was my obligation to the rest of society.