Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

BoogaBooga

Man! This April marks 25 years. That's AOK. I still have my job. Looks like I will be matching their costcutting, by reducing my United Way donation to $0.00 They can supplement the United Way with the savings from the elimination of the Years of Service Awards.

tomuchdrama

dont forget the big one in the ny time,listing all drvs in all states that have 25+ yrs safe driving.will that still be done or is that going bye bye also?:sad-little:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I just received my Samsung iPod clone for safe driving along with my pin and certificate. Not a bad little 2 gig player, especially since it was free :happy2:.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They are cutting all of the nickle and dime stuff that the employees appreciate but the will continue to piss millions of dollars away in the NASCAR program:angry:
After reading all the posts, yours is (IMHO) the most appropriate. If they are that fricking worried about money then get rid of the fricking nonsense BS like Nascar and other unnecessary entertainment sponsorships.

Are you reading this you pin-headed corporate 'site-monitor'? Pass it along. Stop taking away from your employees that actually earn you your fricking money!:angry:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I hear they have a ton of those 5 dollar backpacks to give away. I've seen it, its really a paper bag with a piece of string to hang around your neck.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
WHAT !!!

Everyone needs incentives to reach their goals !?!?!

I think we should just be glad you work in a Fortune 500 company.

The type that can buy companies left and right then let them rot and die.

The kind that automatically gives the insurance company $1500 when you bump a basketball hoop in a driveway.

The few companies that makes you wear their uniform with pride but gets them made in the Far East if you can get replacements to begin with.

The company that will install millions of dollars in Telematics to 20 year old vehicles.

The type of company that will pay every driver 2 hours of overtime and bonus just to take out 1 car from the area.

This company is just like any other company, in the middle of hard times. Holding tight to their money. Making wise decisions to keep our futures bright. For that, I will voluntarily give up that tote bag on my 15 years of service coming up. Don't even bother with the certificate !! I don't need the certificate to remember the 15 years in my heart and soul.

BTW - Get those United Way certificates in to me so We can make corporate goals together. :peaceful:

mnnice

I get tired of hearing how lucky I am to have a job.
If you are tired of hearing that statement, then lets try this one "You are lucky to be unemployed". Which one sounds better to you? There are thousands of people in the country that would appreciate your luck and would like to hear it every day instead of the umployment woes that they must deal with each and every day.

backinbrown

respect my authority
WHAT !!!

Everyone needs incentives to reach their goals !?!?!

I think we should just be glad you work in a Fortune 500 company.

The type that can buy companies left and right then let them rot and die.

The kind that automatically gives the insurance company $1500 when you bump a basketball hoop in a driveway.

The few companies that makes you wear their uniform with pride but gets them made in the Far East if you can get replacements to begin with.

The company that will install millions of dollars in Telematics to 20 year old vehicles.

The type of company that will pay every driver 2 hours of overtime and bonus just to take out 1 car from the area.

This company is just like any other company, in the middle of hard times. Holding tight to their money. Making wise decisions to keep our futures bright. For that, I will voluntarily give up that tote bag on my 15 years of service coming up. Don't even bother with the certificate !! I don't need the certificate to remember the 15 years in my heart and soul.

BTW - Get those United Way certificates in to me so We can make corporate goals together. :peaceful:

I agree Heff

mnnice

Man! This April marks 25 years. That's AOK. I still have my job. Looks like I will be matching their costcutting, by reducing my United Way donation to $0.00 They can supplement the United Way with the savings from the elimination of the Years of Service Awards.
Remember that you are not hurting the company by not giving to the United Way, but you are hurting people that are less fortunate than you and that could be some of your friends, family or neighbors.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Seems like there would be better ways to save a few bucks than to do away with safety programs. People strive to hit goals and milestones in their career at UPS. When you take that away it just does not seem to matter to them. Will safety only be important after you make a mistake? I hope they can come up with something to recognize employees that obtain these goals. How much money does someone who works safe for years save over someone who gets into accidents or has injuries? Seems like a gift or a Circle of Honor dinner is a bargin.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The company is taking advantage of the fact that they can now treat you like crap and you have to like it. This has always been the preferred method, just couldn't get away with it until now. Taking away safe driving awards now proves what I thought all along. Safety commitment is 100% employee, 0% company. BM

tae111

"Founded in 1907, UPS has a long history and tradition of safety and training. The company issued its first driver handbook in 1917 and began recognizing its safe drivers in 1923. In 1928, UPS recognized its first five-year safe driver, Ray McCue, with UPS founder Jim Casey presenting him a gold and platinum watch. The Circle of Honor was formally established as the mechanism to recognize safe drivers in 1955 and its membership has been growing ever since".
Its not so much that we are not getting a 'gift' or a 'banquet' that bothers me. Its the change in core values that built this company and its rich history thats very sad. I realize that these are tough times and we are lucky to have a job but abolishing these long standing customs will not make UPS's stock go up. If this is the measure that keeps UPS afloat we are all in big trouble.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Doughnuts, 10-point commentaries, acronyms and "safe zones" are apparently cheaper than safe driving awards, and they keep OSHA happy as well.

"Founded in 1907, UPS has a long history and tradition of safety and training. The company issued its first driver handbook in 1917 and began recognizing its safe drivers in 1923. In 1928, UPS recognized its first five-year safe driver, Ray McCue, with UPS founder Jim Casey presenting him a gold and platinum watch. The Circle of Honor was formally established as the mechanism to recognize safe drivers in 1955 and its membership has been growing ever since".
Its not so much that we are not getting a 'gift' or a 'banquet' that bothers me. Its the change in core values that built this company and its rich history thats very sad. I realize that these are tough times and we are lucky to have a job but abolishing these long standing customs will not make UPS's stock go up. If this is the measure that keeps UPS afloat we are all in big trouble.

Did anyone notice the stock price today? I'm sure any change to the safety program isn't long term. Times are tough, the company is just tring to preserve what they can to ride the economy out. This isn't the first time they've made tough decisions, they got us through the
Depression and how many resessions? I'm just happy to have a job... My husbands company is having problems, my two best friends were laid off perminantly.. I'm not bitchin! I have bills to pay.