Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did anyone notice the stock price today? I'm sure any change to the safety program isn't long term. Times are tough, the company is just tring to preserve what they can to ride the economy out. This isn't the first time they've made tough decisions, they got us through the Depression and how many recessions? I'm just happy to have a job... My husbands company is having problems, my two best friends were laid off permanently.. I'm not bitchin! I have bills to pay.

That's a bitchin' post!

porkwagon

At the PCM yesterday our sup announced that ups is stopping the years of service awards but that the safety awards will continue

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think this is just plain wrong. If times dictate that money is tight then the last thing corporate should be spending money is sports sponsorships.:angry:

over9five

Staff member
At the PCM yesterday our sup announced that ups is stopping the years of service awards but that the safety awards will continue

The way I understood it is that ALL awards will stop, but we will still get the pins and documents (framable, by the way).

A few years ago we started getting a UPS cap(actually two of them), just like the ones we wear for work, with the number of years of service embroidered on the side and our last name on the back. I think they started with 20 years service. The plan was to hit the 'land mark" years after that. Pretty cool actually. I think they were giving them to part timers too, not just drivers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Who cares? Not me. They can keep their trinkets. My last safe driving award was the Douney and Burk purse. I let my wife pick the gift for the crap she deals with in my absence in the wake of ever later nights and start times. Anybody who thinks this company ever cared about us as people are simply naive. It's always been, and always will be, about money. If anything I respect the company for finally showing their true colors.

P.S. I proudly displayed my last safe driving plaque in the plastic frame above urinal #1 in my locker room. It stayed there for nearly 2 months till somebody had the foresight to remove it before regional managers came to our building.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Who cares? Not me. They can keep their trinkets. My last safe driving award was the Douney and Burk purse. I let my wife pick the gift for the crap she deals with in my absence in the wake of ever later nights and start times. Anybody who thinks this company ever cared about us as people are simply naive. It's always been, and always will be, about money. If anything I respect the company for finally showing their true colors.

P.S. I proudly displayed my last safe driving plaque in the plastic frame above urinal #1 in my locker room. It stayed there for nearly 2 months till somebody had the foresight to remove it before regional managers came to our building.
WOW A Dooney & Bourke! Way cool.

over9five

Staff member
A few years ago we started getting a UPS cap(actually two of them), just like the ones we wear for work, with the number of years of service embroidered on the side and our last name on the back.

They were giving those out here too. But guess what? Not allowed to wear them on-road! The drivers who got them were outraged. Where else you gonna wear the stupid UPS cap? At home on your day off???

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
When I was in Package, I could not work with anything in my pockets. Kept my wallet in the back of the car.
No sciatica, I just felt things in my pocket slowed me down!

I missed 5 1/2 months work due to sciatica in the late '70s. It was so bad I couldn't reach my feet to put my shoes on.

What is Sciatica? I don't believe I've ever heard of it. I know the pain I get from sitting on my wallet, didn't know there was a name for it.

Theres no reality to the accident follow-up procedure

I agree there. Hell, in our building if there is an accident, the report is written up before you get back to the building! Then the sup. gives it to you to read to make sure they got it right. After my last injury, they had to re-do the paperwork because portions were wrong. To this day they have the date of it wrong...by 1 day.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
What is Sciatica? I don't believe I've ever heard of it. I know the pain I get from sitting on my wallet, didn't know there was a name for it.

The Sciatic nerve is on your backside somewhere and Sciatica is what it's called when it gets inflamed. Lots of the time you can't move when it first happens and doing stuff in general hurts.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
They are cutting jobs throughtout the company you are worried about a prize!

Maybe your new so let me help you out on something. They have been taking away from us for years and years, even during the best of times, yet demanding more and more. So yes, I do believe we have a right to bitch about it.