Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

browniehound

When I was in Package, I could not work with anything in my pockets. Kept my wallet in the back of the car.
No sciatica, I just felt things in my pocket slowed me down!

Me too Over. I used the UPS wallet because I didn't care that it got dirty in the cargo area. Its the one thing I will miss besides the cooler.

In the "big picture", these cuts will affect me in the least. I was told nobody in management will recieve a raise this year and the 3% 401k match has been suspended.

I could care less about the free wallets and coolers. It appears to me that management is taking a huge blow on these cut-backs, however.

What's it going to take for everyone to wake up and smell the bad aroma that is this severly depressed economy?

I still hear a few (they are in the most minority now) drivers who still believe that volume is not down and UPS is not vulnerable to economic downturns.

The next 12-18 months are going to be very difficult. Its not like somebody or President Obama is going to wave his magic wand and the economy will improve. Its going to take smart leadership by men and women that know how to run businesses (does President Obama qualify in this area?) to get us out of this.

I'm concerned that this economic downturn could last for many years:dissapointed:.
I just don't see anyone in government who can help us. DO you? Its not like FDR is sitting in the oval office.

We elected a president in the midst of a crisis that may rival the time period of 1929-1939, that has no experience in running a state or private venture. He was elected because of his God-given talent in the use words and his pledge for change.

Problem is, the people that voted for him no nothing of his voting record in the senate and don't even know how little the years he spent in the US senate!!

Everyone hated Bush so much that they didn't care who got elected, so they voted for the charming, brilliant, well-spoken liberal that doesn't have a FREAKING CLUE on how to run a country.

I'm sorry, at least Bush kept us safe from the terrorists while ruining our econmomy (it is a world-wide recession so I'm not sure how Bush is responsible for the other 233 country's recessions but I'm sure I will hear how, lol).

I'm afraid President Obama will not keep us as safe as Bush did and will still keep us in recession. I say this because everything he has done and said points to the contrary.

Hopefully Obama's last day in office?

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
New to the site but not new to the company. As far as them taking things away from you, lets see... do you pay for your benefits, no...do you get a raise every year, yes...and can they cut your job... NO. So what exactly have "they taken from you" Stop moaning about a t-shirt or a cheap pen that you won't be getting.

Lets see, did I see my son play his Christmas & spring music festivals...NO Was I able to take my kids to scout meetings...NO Was I able to attend ANY of my parent/teacher confrences...NO Was I able to go to my last 2 dentist appointment...NO! Gee, Do you see a pattern here???

I can't wait for the ERI survey.

Either can I since we didn't take it last year.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Remember that you are not hurting the company by not giving to the United Way, but you are hurting people that are less fortunate than you and that could be some of your friends, family or neighbors.

Lets see how much money will be giving by the sups that did not receive their raise this year!

So, are you just going to aim for parked cars and dogs now that you won't get a BBQ grill.

Your obviously in management, because you failed to comprehend basic English! Its not about a grill, t shirt, wallet etc. The circle of honor is the highest level of achievement that a driver can meet. Its our hall of fame!

If the bitter people on this site focused that hateful energy into doing everything they could to make the company successful, things could turn around a lot faster.

Like what? Sales leads? Is this your first day on the site?

How many times have you heard a driver say "I'm not turning in any sales leads, I've got enough work on my route now" Growing the business enough adds routes and takes that extra work to the new route.

On paper, but why do we still bust out routes daily? We have gained a lot of dhl business that we did not have before and still the routes get busted out! Go spew your lies somewere else!
Not exactly rocket science
Sorry for the rant, but I, too am glad to be going to work every day.:happy2:
What exactly do you do?

First, I'm not a fan of UPS as a public company. I don't think it was good for the organization, but this is not the cause of all problems. Competition is tougher today than ever.

P-Man
You have ups, and fed ex, there no more dhl. Competition is tougher, trying to deliver all the packages before running out of hours is tougher.

How else am I to give my suggestions and show management where they are lacking ???? :dont_know:
You could walk around with a mirror facing them!:happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lets see, did I see my son play his Christmas & spring music festivals...NO Was I able to take my kids to scout meetings...NO Was I able to attend ANY of my parent/teacher confrences...NO Was I able to go to my last 2 dentist appointment...NO! Gee, Do you see a pattern here???

Yes ... you seem to have a NO it all attitude. :wink2:

porkwagon

Who cares? Not me. They can keep their trinkets. My last safe driving award was the Douney and Burk purse. I let my wife pick the gift for the crap she deals with in my absence in the wake of ever later nights and start times. Anybody who thinks this company ever cared about us as people are simply naive. It's always been, and always will be, about money. If anything I respect the company for finally showing their true colors.

P.S. I proudly displayed my last safe driving plaque in the plastic frame above urinal #1 in my locker room. It stayed there for nearly 2 months till somebody had the foresight to remove it before regional managers came to our building.

You rock!! Both you and the fella in my center that retired in the middle of peak (about dec 15 ) who dosn't dream of that. You guys are my heroes!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So, are you just going to aim for parked cars and dogs now that you won't get a BBQ grill.
If the bitter people on this site focused that hateful energy into doing everything they could to make the company successful, things could turn around a lot faster.
How many times have you heard a driver say "I'm not turning in any sales leads, I've got enough work on my route now" Growing the business enough adds routes and takes that extra work to the new route.

Not exactly rocket science
Sorry for the rant, but I, too am glad to be going to work every day.:happy2:

This company is not losing money. It is still very profitable. It is still well positioned within the marketplace. It's the marketplace that is suffering. UPS is more interested in satisfying stock holders than its employees. Opening the stock to the general public is the worse thing this company has ever done. It is no longer good enough to be profitable. A company has to ever improve upon its previous year or the stock suffers. Had our stock not gone public we would have been better equipped to weather this storm. I am fortunate to be 20 plus years vested in this company. Luck has nothing to do with my continued employement with UPS. When the economy turns around UPS will follow suit. Till then both sides of workforce will be affected, both white and blue collar. The pecking order will be the only difference.

It seems that all they wish to spend money on these days is their safety program. We have guys getting 10 to 20 overtime hours a week on some of this crap!

satellitedriver

You could walk around with a mirror facing them!:happy-very:
Great post, Red.
This is the way I approach management, when they are wrong.
On a side note;
Your post reminded me of Perseus in Greek mythology.
Mirror polished bronze shield,to reflect Medusa's image onto herself, and the curved adamatine sword cleaving her head from her shoulders.
I think the analogy applies.