Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

backinbrown

respect my authority
Growing the company.
Creating jobs.
Saving jobs.

We have a winner :goteam:

and i couldn't agree more

just turn them in if they sell great if they don't get more

only going to help us meaning UPS as a whole
:hypnosis: You like turning in sales leads
you like turning in sales leads

Just do it or you are technicaly not working as directed

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Hoaxster, I was hoping you would turn your wit to my post but little did I realize that the joke would be on me, you magnificent bastard! :rofl:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJimmyJames
In regards to Jim Casey, it is my understanding that he never married or had children. I wonder if he at least had a girlfirend. If he didn't than maybe he was a homosexual who was in denial over his sexuality ...

Originally Posted by Hoaxster
I understand he was always trying to decide on whether to br called Jim, Jimmy or James. I wonder if there is a relationship there?

Hoaxster, I was hoping you would turn your wit to my post but little did I realize that the joke would be on me, you magnificent bastard! :rofl:

Glad you enjoyed the JibeJibbyJabs.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
P-Man,

It would level the playing field in costs for UPS and secure the Teamster's pension funds immediately.

I guess that would all depend on who was in power when/if we organized fedex. While under hoffas watch he has been organizing, however look at ups freight. Thousands of new teamsters, but none of them pay in to the pension fund. If we keep organizing without finding new fund contributors our pensions will be in trouble.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have a winner :goteam:

and i couldn't agree more

just turn them in if they sell great if they don't get more

only going to help us meaning UPS as a whole
:hypnosis: You like turning in sales leads
you like turning in sales leads

Just do it or you are technicaly not working as directed

I think I am HYPNOTIZED!
In my building I have never turned in a sales lead yet I still received in the mail one of those credit cards with something like $16 on it. It would seem that the managers have been submiting them in my name to satisfy yet another report.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I guess that would all depend on who was in power when/if we organized fedex. While under hoffas watch he has been organizing, however look at ups freight. Thousands of new teamsters, but none of them pay in to the pension fund. If we keep organizing without finding new fund contributors our pensions will be in trouble.

TDWho?

paidslave

I have to believe UPS is doing the right thing given the current economic times. I believe management has suspended/cancelled their own bonus programs recently. We cannot afford to take any chances wasting money on for the most part silly gifts that most of us can live without. Besides I am sure they all made in China. The Circle of Honor is still a mile stone for most of us and to getting a $2.00 patch should be enough. We should drive safe because that is what we do and this is how we keep our jobs not because we get a gaget for it. Go to Kmart or walmart when you drive safe for a year and buy yourself an $8 dollar wallet, or deliver an extra split and work one more hour in the entire year and buy yourself the toaster oven or slow cooker if you really need one.

Unfortunately we are caught in the cross fire even though we continue to be profitable when alot of companys are not. This being said it is still a goal of mine to reach 25 years of safe driving. I am coming up on my 20th. I hope UPS reconsiders cancelling this program but if they really truly feel this is a crucial to end then so be it. We can all go up and back with this and do the blame game.

I do have to say it was a nice program and thanks very much to UPS for having it while it lasts!

pretzel_man

It is late and I should have a calculator, to compare the numbers.
The FedEx ground driver, in my area, does 30% of the volume that I do on my route.
The FedEx Air driver does 15% of the volume that I do on my route.
2 cars to run 45% of what I do daily.
Hmmmm?
2 drivers costs FedEx 50% less, per driver.
Isn't that 100% of my cost?
(Not to mention the cost of running 2 cars, instead of one)
Yet, I still produce 55% more than they do.

Keep in mind that FedEx pays ground drivers by the stop and piece. FedEx doesn't care if they are efficient or not. Its irrevelent to them how many miles are run or the number of hours spend.

FedEx ground drivers get no benefits, social security, vacation, etc.

No matter how you slice it, FedEx has a cheaper cost structure than UPS.

P-Man

oper8tor

I'm thinking of something that would be a wind-fall for UPS and the Teamsters but it may be a pipe dream. If the Teamsters could ever organize Fed-Ex things would get much better very fast!
Here's a theroy, UPS doesn't want Fed ex to organize. What happens when UPS asks the union for wage concessions in these tough economic times and the union refuses. The union walks out UPS brings in the Fed ex drivers as they already have area knowledge and would gladly work for 10% less than the UPS driver, win- win for UPS they get cheaper labor and Fed ex doesn't have enough drivers to outfit thier operations...

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here's a theroy, UPS doesn't want Fed ex to organize. What happens when UPS asks the union for wage concessions in these tough economic times and the union refuses. The union walks out UPS brings in the Fed ex drivers as they already have area knowledge and would gladly work for 10% less than the UPS driver, win- win for UPS they get cheaper labor and Fed ex doesn't have enough drivers to outfit thier operations...
Dont think for a minute that a fed ex driver could do what we do day in day out. You might have a few that could but overall not a chance!

Sammie

... Compensation for
turning in driver leads gone...
This is a new development as I had heard about the safe driver and years of service programs but not this. Are you sure about this? I have 3 active sales leads and will be very upset if what you say is true. What incentive would there be for anyone to turn in sales leads?

"The fact that you still have a job." Quote unquote. Which is no longer even true as the last six jobs I had at UPS vanished into thin air...

Upstate,

Husband came home last Thursday night and commented on memo
posted in the feeder department. Circle of honor program, safe driving awards, years of service awards, compensation for sales leads - gonzo. I asked just now for verification of this and he remembers reading about all 4 issues.

We turned in sales leads in the PCA position I was in and received very nice compensations for the ones that panned out. My last purchase was a new stove. Then the compensation ended but we were of course encouraged to keep the leads coming. The incentive for turning them in then? Nada. How many leads were handed in by our department after that? Take a wild guess.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

... Compensation for
turning in driver leads gone...

"The fact that you still have a job." Quote unquote. Which is no longer even true as the last six jobs I had at UPS vanished into thin air...

Upstate,

Husband came home last Thursday night and commented on memo
posted in the feeder department. Circle of honor program, safe driving awards, years of service awards, compensation for sales leads - gonzo. I asked just now for verification of this and he remembers reading about all 4 issues.

We turned in sales leads in the PCA position I was in and received very nice compensations for the ones that panned out. My last purchase was a new stove. Then the compensation ended but we were of course encouraged to keep the leads coming. The incentive for turning them in then? Nada. How many leads were handed in by our department after that? Take a wild guess.

I have been an active participant in the sales lead program ($10K in my career on the Amex card) and have quite a few toys in my house as a result. We have yet to hear of the elimination of the points program and, as Hoax pointed out above, perhaps your husband misread or misunderstood the memo you were citing as your reference.

The maximum that you could receive per sales lead has recently been doubled to $1K. The payout to participants in relation to revenue is quite small so I seriously doubt that they have chosen to discontinue the points program. At least I hope not as I need a new washer and dryer.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Dont think for a minute that a fed ex driver could do what we do day in day out. You might have a few that could but overall not a chance!

705red, though I agree with you at the present time I think oper8tor has a point. PAS/EDD along with telematics is a system that was not only designed to make the operation more efficient, but they were also designed to allow scabs to do our jobs in case of a major strike. Would said scabs do it as good as we presently do? No, in fact it would be pretty ugly in the beginning. But UPS would survive, FedEx workers would come over to us, and UPS would not have to deal with the Teamsters ever again.

I believe we scared UPS severely during our national strike and they have been drawing up battle plans against us ever since.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If it's true that they will take away the sales lead incentive, would it really be a shock ! In these times, UPS wants you to get leads because your center's routes are being taken out because of the economy. If you care about growing your company, you will get sale leads for this reason only.

Unless you get a customer who ships out over 100 a day, this will not help your center. The "mom and pop" pickups that ship 3 a week will not help your center or anyone elses. Even if every driver got 1 "mom and pop" pickup, you would still be doing the extra 20 stops off the route that was cut.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We had a sales lead meeting here this week. The paper said that if you turn in 3 producing sales leads you get an extra 500 points, if you turn in 5 producing sales leads you get an additional 1000 points for leads in 2009. Each point is worth a buck, not bad if you add in the additional money for the pieces.

And yes i finally got paid for my sales lead, almost $500 for one account. It did take some time to receive it. But we have gained 6 skids a day from november.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We had a sales lead meeting here this week. The paper said that if you turn in 3 producing sales leads you get an extra 500 points, if you turn in 5 producing sales leads you get an additional 1000 points for leads in 2009. Each point is worth a buck, not bad if you add in the additional money for the pieces.

And yes i finally got paid for my sales lead, almost $500 for one account. It did take some time to receive it. But we have gained 6 skids a day from november.

Nice job RED

They keep hammering the sales lead jargon with us when in reality, THE PEOPLE WHO WORK IN SALES have to hit the the big dogs and get the packages into our buildings.

Thats why we have basic packages now. Thats why we are going to be working with USPS for return service. Getting L L Bean into our system does more for us than myself getting "Mom and Pop Lock service". I'm not saying we don't need their 40 dollars a week, but thats not getting routes put back in.

Ths sales people know who are Fed-Ex's biggest accounts. We have the resources to get them. The company is sitting on money and won't use it to subsidize some undercutting ventures for the big accounts. In this day, getting packages and dealing some financial blows to Fed-Ex will make things better.