Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

backinbrown

respect my authority
We had a sales lead meeting here this week. The paper said that if you turn in 3 producing sales leads you get an extra 500 points, if you turn in 5 producing sales leads you get an additional 1000 points for leads in 2009. Each point is worth a buck, not bad if you add in the additional money for the pieces.

And yes i finally got paid for my sales lead, almost $500 for one account. It did take some time to receive it. But we have gained 6 skids a day from november.

we also had the same meeting sounds good

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I may be wrong but I believe that each point is actually only worth $.05, so the 500 points would be $25 and the 1000 would be $50. I do hope that I am wrong and Red is right as I need a new washer/dryer and have 3 sold and producing now, 1 being worked on which should join them and 2 that I will be submitting tomorrow morning, but I am fairly certain that it is $25 and $50, respectively. I think it would be hard for them to justify giving $1000 when the total dolllars added to the card as a result of the leads is much less than that. As I said, I do hope that I am wrong.

Sammie

I have been an active participant in the sales lead program ($10K in my career on the Amex card) and have quite a few toys in my house as a result. We have yet to hear of the elimination of the points program and, as Hoax pointed out above, perhaps your husband misread or misunderstood the memo you were citing as your reference.

The maximum that you could receive per sales lead has recently been doubled to $1K. The payout to participants in relation to revenue is quite small so I seriously doubt that they have chosen to discontinue the points program. At least I hope not as I need a new washer and dryer.

The payout to participants in relation to revenue is quite small - -
AMEN to that one!!!

I hope he misinterpreted it as well, for all your sakes. Feeder drivers don't normally turn in sales leads, so it wouldn't affect his dept. anyway. I've noticed different parts of the country phase things out at different times. The internal outsourcing that began about 15 years ago was sporadic throughout the country. When we lost our yearly "clerical luncheon" (I know, cry me a big drowning river over that one. Point taken many times over.) it was the one time a year we could leave our cages for lunch. We called other parts of the country to find that it was still in place. We lost the "Take your child to work day" as it became too expensive to extertain the kids for the day with hot dogs and popcorn. Other parts of the country, still in place. As our accounting functions, payroll departments, claims, customer service offices etc. were phased out, different parts of the country still retained theirs for a year or more. Who knows.

I too have a houseful of cool goodies from that program; but keep in mind that this incentive program was our compensation as we no longer had a guaranteed yearly wage increase as union employees do. We lost that "guarantee" years ago, the same time we began paying two to three hundred bucks a month for brand X health care, depending upon how much coverage we thought we'd need. I will buddy* about this no more, but the number of clerical employees around the country could not have been that significant in the first place and to lose the incentive program, and a decent yearly raise and start paying an arm and a leg for health insurance that few doctors or dentists participated in for good reason in was a slug in the gut from a company whose net income was $50 billion on it's 100 year anniversary.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I may be wrong but I believe that each point is actually only worth $.05, so the 500 points would be $25 and the 1000 would be $50. I do hope that I am wrong and Red is right as I need a new washer/dryer and have 3 sold and producing now, 1 being worked on which should join them and 2 that I will be submitting tomorrow morning, but I am fairly certain that it is $25 and $50, respectively. I think it would be hard for them to justify giving $1000 when the total dolllars added to the card as a result of the leads is much less than that. As I said, I do hope that I am wrong.
when i call the reward hot line it says that i have 400 points and the letter i received with the account balance showed $400. I hope that i to am right as i am under the impression that each point is equivalent to 1 dollar.

Braveheart

Nice. We just start getting guys to buy into safety and such and they yank it. Way to go big wigs. UPS is still very profitable. DHL is no longer a Domestic problem too. So we will make less profit, who isn't? If we were losing money I would say yank it and my raise. But we are not losing money.

Why are they not offering buyouts to all the higher paid managers?

Why not offer buyouts to at least the over 30 managers that for some unknown reason will not leave.

For that matter why are they not offering the 25-30 year drivers a buyout to leave now?

They could even offer us some better work rules, job protections, extra week of vacation or a couple more personal days and some additional 8 hour requests and pay actuals to forgo our next raise or two. I would do it. I would even give back the last .35 cent one we just got if they would back off a tad and work with us.

UPS is just going overboard with all the micromanaging. I only got written up a couple times last year and no warning letters for that matter. I still get sick of all the negative nit picking.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Years of Service Awards

Heard this through the grapevine so take it with a grain of salt.
This is only in relation to Years of Service as far as I know.

The award is still being honored and can be ordered for anniversary dates on or before March 31, 2009. You must order this month!

Also, if your anniversary date is in 2009 and after March 31, 2009 and you want to purchase the award yourself, you must do that this month (March).

Call TharpeRobbins directly at 866-563-7799 to order your gift. The catalog is on UPSers.com (on the UPSers.com home page, there is a link called "Order Recognition Awards" in the Features -- Quick Links section).
Once on this page, you can access the complete catalog.

Re: Years of Service Awards

Heard this through the grapevine so take it with a grain of salt.
This is only in relation to Years of Service as far as I know.

The award is still being honored and can be ordered for anniversary dates on or before March 31, 2009. You must order this month!

Also, if your anniversary date is in 2009 and after March 31, 2009 and you want to purchase the award yourself, you must do that this month (March).

Call TharpeRobbins directly at 866-563-7799 to order your gift. The catalog is on UPSers.com (on the UPSers.com home page, there is a link called "Order Recognition Awards" in the Features -- Quick Links section).
Once on this page, you can access the complete catalog.
Not much of an award if you have to pay for it yourself. If them keeping the money that was part of the award system will keep the doors open another day or two, I'm all for it.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I had been hearing rumors of this for a while and just checked today and found out the bad news. My 10 year safe driving anniversary is April 11. I've been looking forward to finally getting an award worth something and they UPS screws me by 11 days!!! Sure, it's not the first time they have bent me over and stuck it to me, but this one really hurts. *****************
They are always wanting to save a few bucks by getting rid of poor performers, why the hell don't they get rid of their poor performing Nascar team and save millions and let us keep the one measly little thing that they do to show us appreciation. This one really has me boiling, can you tell?

Last edited by a moderator:

DenverBrownDotCom

Well does that mean the end of ureported accidents? How many guys lost their jobs because of those wallets. Oh well the tightest ship in the shipping business just got tighter.

DenverBrownDotCom

The information is correct according to UPSers.com
No More Safe Driving Awards

UPS has stopped giving safe driving awards. They also are stopping their years of service awards. To the best of my knowledge there will be no Circle of Honor Banquet either. It's really no surprise. If management gets no raises, the good drivers get no reward. There take that. I guess it will be the end of unreported accidents as well. We now go into "who cares" mode, which is where everyone should have been to start with. Just another example of how the company looks at you as a liability, not an asset. They can spend Millions on Telematics, but they can only trash the real producers for this company.
Roll over in your grave Jim Casey.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got my 20 Years of Safe Driving Award Friday morning. It was three months late, I earned it before they did away with the awards catalog. Still got the gift box, certificate, card, and pin. I was surprised the two little chip diamonds weren't pried out of the pin.:dissapointed:

rod

Retired 22 years
I got my 20 Years of Safe Driving Award Friday morning. It was three months late, I earned it before they did away with the awards catalog. Still got the gift box, certificate, card, and pin. I was surprised the two little chip diamonds weren't pried out of the pin.:dissapointed:

save those diamonds-- rumor has it you can get 20 bucks for them at the local pawn shop:wink2:

tuckerick

sorry if i am bringing up old stuff, but im a new member so take it easy on me. I just have a quick question, at this mornings PCM a friend of mine got his 6 year safe driving award, and when he opened the box there was no catalog to get your free gift, i had heard rumors that they were gonna do away with it, but didnt really believe it, just wanted to see what u guys have come across in your centers, and if u think, like i do that once they take it away, they will never give it back

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is my favorite reward I got, A Delta drill press and a Dewalt Compound Miter Saw. I use them a lot.
IMG_1459.jpg

over9five

Staff member
I also have that Dewalt saw. Was it 15 years safe driving or YOS? It is a great saw. Where's the zippered bag? Fills up fast, doesn't it?!?!