Safety Committee Disbanded?

iowa boy

iowa boy,

I did not miss this nor do I endorse this.

Have you read Article 18 Sec 20.4 in the National Agreement?

These are the only activities that I endorses.[/FONT

Please read this. This is what the local officials should enforce, nothing more, nothing less.

Sincerely,
I

Yes I have read the complete article in the master. As I stated previously, until this company becomes a willing participant in this so-called safety farce, its kinda hard for me to endorse the union being involved in any of part of this "safety" program.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes I have read the complete article in the master. As I stated previously, until this company becomes a willing participant in this so-called safety farce, its kinda hard for me to endorse the union being involved in any of part of this "safety" program.
iowa boy,

I am not concerned with the whole article at this time just sec. 20.4.

Whether you endorse it or not is irrelevant to the issue.

The union is already involved. It is part of the National Contract.

I hope you don't view this portion of the contract as a farce.

It is clear by the contract that the saftey committee members are to be conducted in the interest of the union members.

The local union officials must enforce this language.

If they don't, who will?

Sincerely,
I

iowa boy

iowa boy,

I am not concerned with the whole article at this time just sec. 20.4.

Whether you endorse it or not is irrelevant to the issue.

The union is already involved. It is part of the National Contract.

I hope you don't view this portion of the contract as a farce.

It is clear by the contract that the saftey committee members are to be conducted in the interest of the union members.

The local union officials must enforce this language.

If they don't, who will?

Sincerely,
I

I,

The union is pulling out of the safety committees because the company is using union employees to dig up information for disciplinary action against fellow union employees. If you were an actual union employee and asked to observe your fellow union members and inform your management team of everything they did wrong so the company could use your observations for possible disciplinary action against a coworker, could you or would you do it? If you tell me that you could, then you have obviously never been a union member before.

If the company has to resort to this action to fetter out discipline because they can't get the job done by themselves, why should the union be a willing participant?

Please help me to understand why the union should enforce this when it does nothing for the union members?

Last edited:

Youpeeyes

I am... well was the Co-Chair in our building, and first let me say that anything we did NEVER that involved having anyone being disciplined. We did make safety related issues in our center a priority and any concerns brought to us by our co-workers were discussed in our meetings and if possible we acted on them. We had a lot of positive things taking place in our center. I did go on rides with fellow employees, not to supervise but to explain things that will help keep you from getting into accidents or from injuring themselves in fact management didn't even know where or with whom I was with, I didn't have diad or a truck that they could "Track" me with. All information was confidential, in fact the only person that knew what I was doing was the shop steward! My understanding as to why the Union has suspended the safety committee activities was because of the lack of UPS following the contract by not honoring 8 hour and 9.5 request, and not paying the penalties for doing so. To show unity and that UPS is doing the double standard....talking it but not walking it,Having us work crazy hours....how is this safe? Ok with that said if the Union wants to show unity then force the rank and file to come to work and demand their 8 hours and not go home when UPS cuts routes....every Monday and Friday! Also force the employees who come in early to FIX their load to stop, taking money away from the preloaders and themselves....if you have to sort on the road...guess what? you would be getting paid. Pushing a broom for 8 hours will force UPS to keep routes in....the more routes...the less overtime. Like Ricky would say from Trailer Park Boys it doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure this out! But the answer isn't shutting down the Safety committee, I ask you BA's to go watch your buildings and fix what you have control over!

tourists24

If you ever went out and spied on a fellow driver you are definitely part of the problem. You may not have mentioned anyone by name, but you mentioned what you observed. Mgt would follow up and let the discipline begin. You were almost as bad as a scab

over9five

Staff member
If you ever went out and spied on a fellow driver you are definitely part of the problem. You may not have mentioned anyone by name, but you mentioned what you observed. Mgt would follow up and let the discipline begin. You were almost as bad as a scab

Not only that, the safety weinies correct the safety books and report to management who has not done theirs. Ratting out their brothers.
We have to disband the safety committees. They are simply management tools.

UPSGUY72

Not only that, the safety weinies correct the safety books and report to management who has not done theirs. Ratting out their brothers.
We have to disband the safety committees. They are simply management tools.

Correcting the safety books is a joke who ever goes back to check to see what they got right or wrong I don't?? I also do the whole month at one time than I don't have to worry about picking it up again at least for a month.

Youpeeyes

Well apparently YOU! didn't read what I said. Or you twisted it to your own liking. I never ever spied on a fellow brother. I got on car with them with their permission and never... not once ever did UPS management know where, with who or what I was doing. And there was proof of this ....why and how you may ask.....BECAUSE THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY DISCIPLINARY ACTION TAKEN! Hello! how can they discipline if they don't have any information. So a scab you call me?
When I had the chance to help out the younger nerve racked guys and calmed them down so they didn't get hurt or in an accident, and have been personally thanked by them for doing so. More than any shop steward has ever done, they just show up when UPS is trying to fire someone. In fact I am going to become a shop steward so I can help more.. rather it be a safety committee or Union -UPS issues. So read before you accuse!
The problem by the way isn't the committee, it's the Union letting UPS pull this crap for so long! So if you are a steward start in your building and have everyone demand to work everyday.

tourists24

Maybe your safety committe is run different. If you never write anything or never tell management of anything going on the road that still doesnt change anything. You are paid to deliver packages. You are not there to do managements job. Good luck on becoming a steward.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well apparently YOU! didn't read what I said. Or you twisted it to your own liking. I never ever spied on a fellow brother. I got on car with them with their permission and never... not once ever did UPS management know where, with who or what I was doing. And there was proof of this ....why and how you may ask.....BECAUSE THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY DISCIPLINARY ACTION TAKEN! Hello! how can they discipline if they don't have any information. So a scab you call me?
When I had the chance to help out the younger nerve racked guys and calmed them down so they didn't get hurt or in an accident, and have been personally thanked by them for doing so. More than any shop steward has ever done, they just show up when UPS is trying to fire someone. In fact I am going to become a shop steward so I can help more.. rather it be a safety committee or Union -UPS issues. So read before you accuse!
The problem by the way isn't the committee, it's the Union letting UPS pull this crap for so long! So if you are a steward start in your building and have everyone demand to work everyday.

The safety committee is a JOKE!! I know better than most. You are whining because you actually have to work, now. Poor baby. Do your job, which is what? Oh, that's right. You are a package car driver. Now, drive. Oh, and mind your 5 and 10 while you are at it. And, 8 and.........

Integrity

Binge Poster
The safety committee is a JOKE!! I know better than most. You are whining because you actually have to work, now. Poor baby. Do your job, which is what? Oh, that's right. You are a package car driver. Now, drive. Oh, and mind your 5 and 10 while you are at it. And, 8 and.........
menontyou,

The Local Union officials are 100% responsible for the condition of the Safety Committees.

That is the sad reality that all membership must face before positive change will happen.

As long as the denial continues, so to will the oppression and unfair and unsafe work practices continue.

Sincerely,
I

outta hours

Our "safety guy" delivered meals on wheels for the mgr while coded "safety" for the day. Other activites coded safety included.
1. Staying off road all day for a night safety cookout
2. conducting PCM's
3. investigating accidents and injuries
4. Doing on area observations of other drivers
5. Had his own ups email address so he could email the sups and mgr.
6. Being on his route only 1-2 days a week, with the other days as "safety"
7. Shuttling late air or misloads so as not to count against the cars on road numbers.

And many other things. The safety committee was started under the guise that employees would have input about the conditions that affect them. But as usual the company morphed it into something for their benefit. We have been reporting this for a long time. I am glad the union finally had enough of this scam.

And now as a retaliatory measure the company in my region will no longer settle any grievances at the local level. And have informed the union all grievance decisions and settlements will be forced to go to the panel. Boo hoo hoo.

themidnightoil

here is your 10.5 day. do it in under 9.5 and be safe!!! safety at UPS only matters when you get hurt or have an accident because it cost them money. as of June 1st this year, our center has already had more accidents and injuries then all of last year.

the last accident was a T3 that sent a guy to the hospital. the drive was over dispatched and was trying to avoid a meet point by rushing. he pulled out infront of a car and the other guy slammed the front passenger side of the UPS truck and then hit another car sending one person to the hopsital with injuries.

this GREED is going to get someone killed. our safety committee is not allowed to bring up dispatch anymore!!!

yes, accidents and injuries can happen at anytime. using your methods will greatly reduce your chance of an event. a safe planned dispatch with a fair time allowance will also help a driver not be put in a position to make a unsafe choice. most of us have alot of pride in our job and do not like missing packages and or knocking on doors at 9PM, so will sometime put ourselves and others at risk just to make service.

time to enjoy the weekend. peace all.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am... well was the Co-Chair in our building, and first let me say that anything we did NEVER that involved having anyone being disciplined. We did make safety related issues in our center a priority and any concerns brought to us by our co-workers were discussed in our meetings and if possible we acted on them. We had a lot of positive things taking place in our center. I did go on rides with fellow employees, not to supervise but to explain things that will help keep you from getting into accidents or from injuring themselves in fact management didn't even know where or with whom I was with, I didn't have diad or a truck that they could "Track" me with. All information was confidential, in fact the only person that knew what I was doing was the shop steward! My understanding as to why the Union has suspended the safety committee activities was because of the lack of UPS following the contract by not honoring 8 hour and 9.5 request, and not paying the penalties for doing so. To show unity and that UPS is doing the double standard....talking it but not walking it,Having us work crazy hours....how is this safe? Ok with that said if the Union wants to show unity then force the rank and file to come to work and demand their 8 hours and not go home when UPS cuts routes....every Monday and Friday! Also force the employees who come in early to FIX their load to stop, taking money away from the preloaders and themselves....if you have to sort on the road...guess what? you would be getting paid. Pushing a broom for 8 hours will force UPS to keep routes in....the more routes...the less overtime. Like Ricky would say from Trailer Park Boys it doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure this out! But the answer isn't shutting down the Safety committee, I ask you BA's to go watch your buildings and fix what you have control over!

Do us all a favor and stock up on golf shirts and Dockers and go into management already.
You, and the committee that you co-chaired, are a fraud.
Get back in the drivers seat and mind your business or see if they'll asign you a desk in the cinder block office.
Either way, you've been exposed as a wannabe.

Youpeeyes

You're right I am paid to deliver packages, and I'm not here to do managements job. But I was happy to have the opportunity to do something different that did benefit the rank and file without managements noses being in on it. Helping out fellow brothers....in fact one younger driver that I had coached said he prevented himself from being bitten by a dog at a stop he wasn't familiar with. This happened on Thursday and Friday morning he explained to me what happened, he also thanked me for the tip I gave him! We do have a different group of guys that were doing the committee....not just DOK pushers and such. It's my nature to help people, I am the one in our building to organize fundraisers for fellow drivers when they are in need, I collect money and give it to the driver. Most recent was a fellow driver who's wife died of cancer. I have done this for years ....why? because I care about the guys I work with. This isn't and Management activity nor a Union activity....It's just us helping each other! And guys I think my chances of becoming a stewart are pretty good. Why? Because I care and have always cared....nothing phoney or fake about me......I will keep you posted!
P.S. I am a 28 year veteran so any knowledge I have I share.....even on how to work as safe as you can, naturally towards your advantage when THEY ride you!!!!! Nuff said!

Integrity

Binge Poster
You're right I am paid to deliver packages, and I'm not here to do managements job. But I was happy to have the opportunity to do something different that did benefit the rank and file without managements noses being in on it. Helping out fellow brothers....in fact one younger driver that I had coached said he prevented himself from being bitten by a dog at a stop he wasn't familiar with. This happened on Thursday and Friday morning he explained to me what happened, he also thanked me for the tip I gave him! We do have a different group of guys that were doing the committee....not just DOK pushers and such. It's my nature to help people, I am the one in our building to organize fundraisers for fellow drivers when they are in need, I collect money and give it to the driver. Most recent was a fellow driver who's wife died of cancer. I have done this for years ....why? because I care about the guys I work with. This isn't and Management activity nor a Union activity....It's just us helping each other! And guys I think my chances of becoming a stewart are pretty good. Why? Because I care and have always cared....nothing phoney or fake about me......I will keep you posted!
P.S. I am a 28 year veteran so any knowledge I have I share.....even on how to work as safe as you can, naturally towards your advantage when THEY ride you!!!!! Nuff said!
Youpeeeyes,

Are fully versed in Article 18 Section 20.4 of the national contract?

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Resistance is futile ... you will be assimilated.
Self based initiative is not permitted.