Safety Committee Disbanded?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You're right I am paid to deliver packages, and I'm not here to do managements job. But I was happy to have the opportunity to do something different that did benefit the rank and file without managements noses being in on it. Helping out fellow brothers....in fact one younger driver that I had coached said he prevented himself from being bitten by a dog at a stop he wasn't familiar with. This happened on Thursday and Friday morning he explained to me what happened, he also thanked me for the tip I gave him! We do have a different group of guys that were doing the committee....not just DOK pushers and such. It's my nature to help people, I am the one in our building to organize fundraisers for fellow drivers when they are in need, I collect money and give it to the driver. Most recent was a fellow driver who's wife died of cancer. I have done this for years ....why? because I care about the guys I work with. This isn't and Management activity nor a Union activity....It's just us helping each other! And guys I think my chances of becoming a stewart are pretty good. Why? Because I care and have always cared....nothing phoney or fake about me......I will keep you posted!
P.S. I am a 28 year veteran so any knowledge I have I share.....even on how to work as safe as you can, naturally towards your advantage when THEY ride you!!!!! Nuff said!

We have had several guys like you join the Safety Committee in our building. They have good intentions and they are sincere and honest about wanting to make a difference, and they arent just brown-nosing management wannabe DOK pushers. They generally wind up quitting after a few weeks once it becomes apparent to them that the Committee is a sham and that nothing they do there will ever matter.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I got a paper cut filling out my saftey work book!! I may be out for a while !!!

You should be so lucky. The Acronym Committee will find you at home and make you recite their drivel until you either go insane or return to work out of sheer desperation.

DS

Fenderbender
I put in my letter for to go into mgmt:wink2:,,,naw
I got roped ;-+ into being on the safety committee,
here's my first PCM...be honest,I want your input...

Some of you know me,some don't.
I have recently been asked to join the saftey comittee.
I accepted,after months of why should I's
I have been a driver 21 years now,and I had a stupid accident 2 weeks ago.
I just delivered a pkg at a resi and in my haste to get to my next stop,I
forgot one little thing.#9 of the 10 point commentary.
When pulling from a curb,L signal,L mirror Lshoulder,
I forgot to check my R mirror.
I got a new workhorse p7 and it's fast.
I clipped the knob on a fire hydrant and did about $1500 damage to the truck.
Thank God the hydrant was unscathed.

That feeling of putting your head in your hands and calling the centre
is not a good one.
I know,this job is demanding with the production expectations and the
thousand things you have to remember,but as stressful as it may be,
it's up to you alone,to realise that safe driving overrides everything.
The seeing habits and the 10 point commentary are there because
they work.Follow them every day,and remember,the most important stop is
getting home safe every night.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I put in my letter for to go into mgmt:wink2:,,,naw
I got roped ;-+ into being on the safety committee,
here's my first PCM...be honest,I want your input...

Some of you know me,some don't.
I have recently been asked to join the saftey comittee.
I accepted,after months of why should I's
I have been a driver 21 years now,and I had a stupid accident 2 weeks ago.
I just delivered a pkg at a resi and in my haste to get to my next stop,I
forgot one little thing.#9 of the 10 point commentary.
When pulling from a curb,L signal,L mirror Lshoulder,
I forgot to check my R mirror.
I got a new workhorse p7 and it's fast.
I clipped the knob on a fire hydrant and did about $1500 damage to the truck.
Thank God the hydrant was unscathed.

That feeling of putting your head in your hands and calling the centre
is not a good one.
I know,this job is demanding with the production expectations and the
thousand things you have to remember,but as stressful as it may be,
it's up to you alone,to realize that safe driving overrides everything.
The seeing habits and the 10 point commentary are there because
they work.Follow them every day,and remember,the most important stop is
getting home safe every night.
If you want a spell check......realize

Inthegame

Probably because it was either : join the committee, or see discipline for the accident. Blackmail!
It has been my experience that discipline is less severe for those that attend safety committee meetings after being involved in accidents. Sometimes it IS offered as part of a grievance settlement, ex: after multiple accidents in less than nine months, UPS will reduce suspension time if drivers attend meetings. No one is ever forced to remain on the committee. We try to load up our committee to get more laid off employees a few more days of work when the committee meets.

Maybe I'm just fortunate Sleeve because I'm in a local that requires it's stewards not only to be on safety committees but to direct the activity. We don't buy all the BS programs UPS pushes. We challenge chargeability (if that's a word) of iffy accident calls and have had several reversed. Our co-chair is a Circle of Honor driver/steward that gets respect. When UPS refuses our view we use the contract language and move safety issues to the grievance procedure. We have a National case scheduled that will benefit drivers nationwide (sorry Klein) if we're successful. We have received support for our position from Liberty Mutual, because of contacts made and research done by our committee. Nothing comes easy with UPS in safety or union issues without lots of effort from dedicated, hard working people. In our case it is our stewards/agents doing this work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It has been my experience that discipline is less severe for those that attend safety committee meetings after being involved in accidents. Sometimes it IS offered as part of a grievance settlement, ex: after multiple accidents in less than nine months, UPS will reduce suspension time if drivers attend meetings. No one is ever forced to remain on the committee. We try to load up our committee to get more laid off employees a few more days of work when the committee meets.

Maybe I'm just fortunate Sleeve because I'm in a local that requires it's stewards not only to be on safety committees but to direct the activity. We don't buy all the BS programs UPS pushes. We challenge chargeability (if that's a word) of iffy accident calls and have had several reversed. Our co-chair is a Circle of Honor driver/steward that gets respect. When UPS refuses our view we use the contract language and move safety issues to the grievance procedure. We have a National case scheduled that will benefit drivers nationwide (sorry Klein) if we're successful. We have received support for our position from Liberty Mutual, because of contacts made and research done by our committee. Nothing comes easy with UPS in safety or union issues without lots of effort from dedicated, hard working people. In our case it is our stewards/agents doing this work.
You are lucky, our local doesn't give a damn and is completely in bed with management.

I was given " an avoidable accident" last year, when a guy who I had just said hello to leaving the truck backed fifteen feet out of a parking space into the truck while I was parked legally with hazards in front of del point.

The center manager and safety snitch agreed that I was to drive around the entire apartment complex (1/8 mile) and allow the man to back out of his space because I knew he was leaving , then come back around (making three tight turns in a p1000 with no power steering).

I didn't know he was leaving, I didn't see him leave, I didn't know he backed into me until he came back to the scene and said he couldn't just hit and run me (which he tried to do but thought twice after leaving the scene!).

The whole thing is a scam. P.S. I was told I couldn't file a grievance by the steward.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
If a steward says you can't file a grievance, you type up the grievance at home and certified mail it to you union hall. Then, send a copy to your state teamsters council with a letter attached detailing the conversation with the steward. Include names, dates places, times, and witnesses-if any. File charges with your local. I have a steward who cherry picks his grievances. He learned the hard way he will not do that with me.
When I get back to work,
I will be using the by-laws to force a steward election. He may win again, but he will know that he will never screw with me. So will that agent of mine.

HI, BUG!!!!

over9five

Staff member
You are lucky, our local doesn't give a damn and is completely in bed with management.

I was given " an avoidable accident" last year, when a guy who I had just said hello to leaving the truck backed fifteen feet out of a parking space into the truck while I was parked legally with hazards in front of del point.

The center manager and safety snitch agreed that I was to drive around the entire apartment complex (1/8 mile) and allow the man to back out of his space because I knew he was leaving , then come back around (making three tight turns in a p1000 with no power steering).

I didn't know he was leaving, I didn't see him leave, I didn't know he backed into me until he came back to the scene and said he couldn't just hit and run me (which he tried to do but thought twice after leaving the scene!).

The whole thing is a scam. P.S. I was told I couldn't file a grievance by the steward.

There is nothing in the contract about avoidable/unavoidable accidents. It is UPS BS. What article did you want to grieve?

rocket man

there has just recently been an uprise of complaining about this in my center.
BY WHO THE SAFTEY members who get the 5 to 6 hours week in ot saying be safe then they are the first ones talking on there cell phones driving talking about there saftey hours of overtime

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A funny thing happened to me the other morning. My center manager called me into the office and told me that he had been "looking at trends and statistics, and it was time for me to have an accident". He is planning in advance for me to have an accident? It has been a year and a half since I got charged with cracking a mirror with a tree limb during a rain storm, I have 23.5 years of safe driving currently. I looked at the piece of paper he had that listed all the accidents in our Center this past year. A majority of them were by Cover Drivers and members of our Safety Committee, and I pointed that out. How nice, its OK to over dispatch and send drivers home while increasing the hours of delivering in the dark this time of year.