Safety Committee Disbanded?

over9five

Staff member
A funny thing happened to me the other morning. My center manager called me into the office and told me that he had been "looking at trends and statistics, and it was time for me to have an accident". He is planning in advance for me to have an accident? It has been a year and a half since I got charged with cracking a mirror with a tree limb during a rain storm, I have 23.5 years of safe driving currently. I looked at the piece of paper he had that listed all the accidents in our Center this past year. A majority of them were by Cover Drivers and members of our Safety Committee, and I pointed that out. How nice, its OK to over dispatch and send drivers home while increasing the hours of delivering in the dark this time of year.

What did he say to that?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What did he say to that?

"Ugh, yeah", or something like that. My center manager and Supervisors are good guys, they just have to pass on the nonsense from over their heads. I started my Helper this week and have been told to work him no more than 3.99 hours, or my over allowance number goes crazy or something like that. I used to start my Helper at 11 AM and use him until I was done, usually my last stop would be before dark. Now I am clocking out around 8PM with an extra hour of overtime everyday. I keep arguing that if I could work him longer at eight bucks an hour they would save some of that extra fifteen an hour in overtime they are paying me. Its ridiculous so far this Peak, I am getting beat into the ground from a physical standpoint.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It's not even half way through November, Scratch. Peak hasn't officially begun yet.

How's that make you feel!!!!

Ha! Thanks a lot. I called in yesterday and burned my last Option Day, I'm taking my last vacation this upcoming week to give my old carcass a rest. Three days back and then a four day Thanksgiving break. Then an actual twenty working days before Christmas. It will be nice to have Christmas Eve off for a change this year. I am always the lucky? driver to start a Helper in my Center, I know how to work the crap out of people and I always put out the best Helper Team numbers. Of course that means they pile an an extra amount of stops on me. I used to do at least 30 stops an hour with a Helper compared to 17.7 stops by myself. Thanks to going on telematics this year, thats not going to happen anymore. They want to micro manage everything, no short cuts from me.

over9five

Staff member
Ha! Thanks a lot. I called in yesterday and burned my last Option Day, I'm taking my last vacation this upcoming week to give my old carcass a rest. Three days back and then a four day Thanksgiving break. Then an actual twenty working days before Christmas. It will be nice to have Christmas Eve off for a change this year. I am always the lucky? driver to start a Helper in my Center, I know how to work the crap out of people and I always put out the best Helper Team numbers. Of course that means they pile an an extra amount of stops on me. I used to do at least 30 stops an hour with a Helper compared to 17.7 stops by myself. Thanks to going on telematics this year, thats not going to happen anymore. They want to micro manage everything, no short cuts from me.

LOL, no good deed goes unpunished!

DS

Fenderbender
When a sup or the center manager talk about avoiding accidents,they often refer to the overall cost.
The real fact is that it comes across as empty rhetoric we've all heard a thousand times.
Maybe,just maybe,I can infuse some reality into the mix,and remind everyone how it feels
to have to call in and say....I just had an accident.The pressure we face on a daily basis to
reach next to impossible numbers can be overwhelming if you take it too seriously.
Maybe there are other drivers out there just like me that become complacent after going
a few years accident free.All I can do is try to make them realize that they have all the tools
they need to make it back safe every night,and that being in a hurry is not an excuse.

klein

Für Meno :)
All the tools ??? That's a joke isn't it ?

-No adequate heating in the winter to stop the windshield from freezing up , even during driving !
-No heated mirrors that are constantly iced up during those freezing cold days.
-And lastly, they don't even supply winter tires ! (slipping, sliding and getting stuck on a daily basis) !

DS

Fenderbender
All the tools ??? That's a joke isn't it ?

-No adequate heating in the winter to stop the windshield from freezing up , even during driving !
-No heated mirrors that are constantly iced up during those freezing cold days.
-And lastly, they don't even supply winter tires ! (slipping, sliding and getting stuck on a daily basis) !

-It used to be this way, ups is replacing all those old P5, and p'8s and the heaters are much better.
-heated mirrors? It's usually an expensive option in most cars,usually unnecessary.
-21 years,never had to call the centre for a tow,stuck a few times,always got out,

By tools I meant the safety habits not the approx 10 days of the year that the weather gets that bad.

moreluck

golden ticket member
-It used to be this way, ups is replacing all those old P5, and p'8s and the heaters are much better.
-heated mirrors? It's usually an expensive option in most cars,usually unnecessary.
-21 years,never had to call the centre for a tow,stuck a few times,always got out,

By tools I meant the safety habits not the approx 10 days of the year that the weather gets that bad.
Are you sure Klein wasn't talking about the weiner wagon??

Inthegame

K was such an expert that he felt he couldn`t learn anything more so that`s why he left the company, under a complex ruse, so that he could take up the role of adviser to all of us lesser beings.
"lesser beings" reminded me of a quote I once read..."who are these time beings and why are we always doing things for them"
I think Klein is helping OJ find the real killer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I suppose. ARt 37 ? I felt it was disrespectful and negligent being "charged" with an avoidable accident and having that black mark.

While I share your frustration, its a bit of a reach to file Art 37 over being "charged" with an accident.

The reality is that we are not entitled to safe driving recognition or awards per the contract. And the company is free to place whatever "black marks" it wishes to in our file.
'
Should you be involved in another accident within 9 months and given notice of suspension, it is at that point that you could file a grievance for the suspension being unwarranted, and the merits of the original warning letter could then be debated. No rational grievance panel would ever uphold a suspension when the original warning letter was for a hit-while-parked incident such as the one you describe, and no rational Labor Manager would even bother taking such a pathetic case to panel in the first place.

One needs to develop the mental discipline to detach from any concern over being "charged" with these sort of bogus "accidents". Being "charged" for crap like this is no different from being "overallowed" on the daily report. Its nothing but a bunch of fiction for your management to make a big deal about, none of it matters, and you dont have to take it seriously or give a damn about it.

JonFrum

"lesser beings" reminded me of a quote I once read..."who are these time beings and why are we always doing things for them"

I think Klein is helping OJ find the real killer.

Speaking of "for the time being" . . .

I was sweeping out a feeder and found some wooden things the size and shape of a silver dollar that said "Tuit" on the face.

Later, a lazy co-worker told me he would do a certain part of his job when he "got a round to it."

So I handed him one.

JonFrum

I suppose. ARt 37 ? I felt it was disrespectful and negligent being "charged" with an avoidable accident and having that black mark.

You are subject to Progressive Discipline. If no discipline is given to you currently, there may not be a clear, provable, current Contract violation, but there may be if Progressive Discipline moves to the next higher levels later. Therefore it's best to file a Letter Of Protest now to have your side of the story on file.