Safety Discussion, I 94 crash

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
UpstateNYUPSer said:
Why was our guy parked on the wrong side of the highway?

What's "the wrong side of the highway"?

He was on the right side, passenger side. Parked with the wall next to him. He was on the passenger side checking his equipment for whatever reason, my guess is an air leak. The other truck spun and pinballed into him wedging his tractor between the wall and our drivers equipment, killing him in the process.

image.jpg

Last edited:
That chunk of I-80/94 is among the worst pieces of pavement in the country as far as congestion, lake effect weather, and general layout. Three states worth of traffic get funneled together through all that.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
There has been little to no safety training on breakdowns. The only reason I am aware of the dangers of parking on the side of the freeway is browncafe

P

pickup

Someone wrote that the UPS driver was in the process of pulling out his triangle reflectors (which are usually in a red box on the floor, easily accessible from the passenger side

If that was the case, then whatever breakdown he had, it certainly was one that was going to keep him there for a long time. If it were something that could be fixed in five minutes, he wouldn't have bothered getting out the triangle reflectors.

root

Calm down, i'll handle it
Someone wrote that the UPS driver was in the process of pulling out his triangle reflectors (which are usually in a red box on the floor, easily accessible from the passenger side

If that was the case, then whatever breakdown he had, it certainly was one that was going to keep him there for a long time. If it were something that could be fixed in five minutes, he wouldn't have bothered getting out the triangle reflectors.

That is VERY true.

And there would be serious writeups like my previous job when someone had a breakdown on the road, saying he didn't pretrip properly... sheesh!

clean hairy

Sure hope there were not any issues wrote up on that equipment that were ignored.
I have a feeling the maintainance records will be examined quite closely.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Luckily, I went to an outside company to get my CDL training and they made sure to teach us how to pull over for an emergency stop. Get as FAR off the road as possible. Yes, the right side of the road is ideal, but that's why they're called BREAKDOWNS.

Sometimes you just have no choice. I've had to pull over on the side of 95 South more times than I would have liked. It's scary as hell. Nobody pulls over on the side of the highway because they choose to.....EVER

MaceFremonti

We were told today that our guy had just called his dispatch five minutes before and told them that he had hit black ice and had damaged the equipment and was broken down. He was getting his triangles out when the bobtailing Kenworth hit the same patch of black ice and went out of control.