Safety for thee but not for me. Tell your tales.

tadpole

They have the PT sorters sign an egress form saying to stop the belt when packages fall onto the floor but the second the belt turns off, it’s “WHY IS THE BELT OFF!”

542thruNthru

Back when men were men and knew how to force the sheep.

sheep-gif-2.gif

That's disgusting Rod!

Poop Head

Judge me.
I'm not sure how everyone else's center is but at ours safety is more a recommendation than a actually followed protocol. I'll give my example and it's a current and ongoing one. I've been with ups neary 11 years on preload, don't want to drive. Currently I'm an "acting" clerk with a preloader job title. How did this occur you might ask? Well, in an effort to help the former clerk who retired and learning the system I then found myself forced into her formerly retired spot by management.

It started off with promises of we'll find a replacement, this and that, blah ,blah blah. Come 7 months later here I am still. Best part yet is I have zero training for clerk position other than what I picked up helping the former. And included in that is zero hazmat responder certification training as it required for this position. Yet I am instructed to deal with/handle leaking packages including leaking hazmats of which we have had a few. Process damages of which many are leakers, and modify hazmat shipping papers as to allow process throgth the ups system. All this done with clear knowledge and instructions from management.

I have no protective gear, no training, and routinly have potentially hazardous substances spilled on my person as well as known hazardous materials a few times. As we know all leaking packages are to be treated as hazardous right until a certified responder determines otherwise. The basic don't touch, leave the area, notify supervisor thing as well for normal preloader classification. Well, these rules don't apply at our center, and a blind eye is turned not only by local management but also district and even ups own "safety" inspectors who advised me only a certified responder was supposed to do this job.

So there is my tale and only one of the problem at my center. Let's see what the rest of you have.
Not sure what the big deal is. Just pile up some speedee dry on it. Porter will clean it up someday

dudebro

A little less stops but no DR. Indirecting all day long. The job was harder then than now.

I remember teaching alternate delivery on the DIAD all day Saturday to helpers. After 10 hours half of them still couldn't comprehend it. By Monday morning they'd forgotten how to punch in...

DoYouEvenLift

They have the PT sorters sign an egress form saying to stop the belt when packages fall onto the floor but the second the belt turns off, it’s “WHY IS THE BELT OFF!”

Oh god if we had to stop the belt everytime a package touched the floor on our sort aisle the belt would never :censored2:ing move lol

Box Ox

:censored2: those :censored2:s. The moment you get hurt because something fell off the belt and you tripped over it, they'll try to put it on you for not working safely.

If the belt is constantly losing packages, something needs to change. I wouldn't have put up with that :censored2: sorting or trying to move between 3-4 routes.

Supervisors can yell all they want. If they don't want their PPH numbers to drop, they'd better figure out how to do the belt better. Refuse to work unsafely.

Bill3508

Well aware that sups nor management really care about your safety. I was told Friday by the district manager no less that under no circumstances could I leave the position regardless of the lack of training or safety. I could grieve but still had to work. I've set a few things in motion and we'll see how they play out. This all started in good faith by helping the former clerk and went sideways from there. As of this morning I'm still being called on to pull leakers off the belt.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm not sure how everyone else's center is but at ours safety is more a recommendation than a actually followed protocol. I'll give my example and it's a current and ongoing one. I've been with ups neary 11 years on preload, don't want to drive. Currently I'm an "acting" clerk with a preloader job title. How did this occur you might ask? Well, in an effort to help the former clerk who retired and learning the system I then found myself forced into her formerly retired spot by management.

It started off with promises of we'll find a replacement, this and that, blah ,blah blah. Come 7 months later here I am still. Best part yet is I have zero training for clerk position other than what I picked up helping the former. And included in that is zero hazmat responder certification training as it required for this position. Yet I am instructed to deal with/handle leaking packages including leaking hazmats of which we have had a few. Process damages of which many are leakers, and modify hazmat shipping papers as to allow process throgth the ups system. All this done with clear knowledge and instructions from management.

I have no protective gear, no training, and routinly have potentially hazardous substances spilled on my person as well as known hazardous materials a few times. As we know all leaking packages are to be treated as hazardous right until a certified responder determines otherwise. The basic don't touch, leave the area, notify supervisor thing as well for normal preloader classification. Well, these rules don't apply at our center, and a blind eye is turned not only by local management but also district and even ups own "safety" inspectors who advised me only a certified responder was supposed to do this job.

So there is my tale and only one of the problem at my center. Let's see what the rest of you have.
If what you say is true. Which I believe it is then; if I were in your shoes first step is I would file a Artcle 18 Section 21 Grievance for starters.

tadpole

You can’t leave the position but don’t do any responding. No touching leakers. You’ve been trained - “Don’t touch leave area notify supervisor”.

Until you are a certified responder, you can’t touch ‘em.

You need to be wearing full PPE - smock, rubber boots, gloves, mask. You need the checklist to follow. There are so many things you need to know to protect yourself and comply with regulations.