Safety??

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
We have been told that we must tuck in our mirror at every stop throughout the day. Could someone explain how this is considered safety? My opinion is that putting my hand and arm out the door 140 times a day is more dangerous than the possibility of my mirror getting taken off. I questioned my sup. and he had no response. Is a mirror more important than an arm??

trickpony1

My guess is you've got a rogue supe just trying to see how far he can go.

Tucking your mirror at every stop ranks right up there with:

-stealing electricity from a pkg car charging system by using an AM radio and;
-"it's more important for the customer to know where the package is (by tracking it) than to actually have the package",

as the dumbest things I've heard. ::lol: :lol:

.....of course, one of our prominent management posters will have 3 good reasons why tucking the mirror is a good idea.

......so let's hear it :lol: :lol:

Wilson1397

Its not BS. They want us to tuck in our mirror at every stop. And yes you have to take your seatbelt off, tuck in my mirror, then make the delivery.

Wilson1397

I did do it on Friday and it added about a half an hour plus my shoulder was killing me at the end of the day. But my point is, if someone could go by and clip your mirror then they could hit your arm. who's fault would that be?

over9five

Staff member
"...if someone could go by and clip your mirror then they could hit your arm."

Excellent point. You don't have to follow any order that could get you injured. (I think.....). I wouldn't do it either.

Bring it up to your safety person. Go on record.

Wilson1397

Hey double, how can i check my mirror when i get back in the truck and its already tucked in? you want me to put my head out????

DS

Fenderbender
good point ...but it seems like the center mngr was told that broken mirrors were the major concern...park where there is no chance of it happening and take your time,he will be gone soon and so will that rule

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Other truckers have already nailed my mirror twice. I already been warned about turning in my mirror. Sups seem to think its my fault for not leaving enough room for other trucks to pass or park.

HazMatMan

We have been told that we must tuck in our mirror at every stop throughout the day. Could someone explain how this is considered safety? My opinion is that putting my hand and arm out the door 140 times a day is more dangerous than the possibility of my mirror getting taken off. I questioned my sup. and he had no response. Is a mirror more important than an arm??

Depends on how much the mirror costs opposed to your arm surgery.. lol

BoogaBooga

I never thought of tucking the mirror in as an end range motion, which it is. I only tuck my driverside mirror in when I am in a downtown area. Ask for an orange safety cone to put near your back bumper instead.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I never thought of tucking the mirror in as an end range motion, which it is. I only tuck my driverside mirror in when I am in a downtown area. Ask for an orange safety cone to put near your back bumper instead.

Good answer Miteman, I cant wait to see how much allownace we get for that ROFLMFAO!!!!!

UPSmeoff

I think its a power trip.
I have been told now that i have to keep my flashers on in a legal commercial loading zone.
I was reprimanded for this the other day. I had never heard this before.
If UPS is going to make up new saftey rules as they go along then they need to inform the drivers in a timely fashion.

As for the mirror issue, unless you are in a busy city or downtown, i think it is ridiculous that you would be expected to fold your mirror in at every stop.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think its a power trip.
I have been told now that i have to keep my flashers on in a legal commercial loading zone.
I was reprimanded for this the other day. I had never heard this before.
If UPS is going to make up new saftey rules as they go along then they need to inform the drivers in a timely fashion.

As for the mirror issue, unless you are in a busy city or downtown, i think it is ridiculous that you would be expected to fold your mirror in at every stop.

There ya go. I was told to run all day with just using my turn signals as 4ways, when the 4 ways werent working. Yet you need yours on in a dock, enough to make your head spin, but I do it out of habit anyway.