Salary Compare Contrast

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Sounds like you've never seen an offer letter.
Show me an offer letter that doesn't say the standard "subject to the operational needs of the company" language and does say that your workday hours are set in stone and that you'll never have to work beyond them.

Maui

Why wouldn't management issue a WL for P2-5 Acceptable Conduct if an hourly employee brought back freight wen it was easily possible to complete without HOS? I would expect it.

Aquaman

Sounds like you can't handle it, snowflake. BUT THA SKEJUL!!!
Sounds like you want ME to make YOUR job easier at the expense of my outside obligations. Everything everyone does revolves around their work schedule genius. Picking up my kids, soccer practice, helping with homework, dinner. It all revolves around my scheduled hours. My loyalty is to my family. I work for them, not for FedEx. You can “operational needs” yourself to death but managers hold zero power at this company now. With the way express pays employees, fast food has just about caught them lol. You know what this “operation needs”??…. To keep its drivers happy.

vantexan

Show me an offer letter that doesn't say the standard "subject to the operational needs of the company" language and does say that your workday hours are set in stone and that you'll never have to work beyond them.
I just love offer letters. Like the one that didn't mention it was a 4X10 cover driver position. I used that to transfer out after finding something I wanted elsewhere. The fact is that the company wants to hold couriers to what the offer letter specifies but then puts in it that it's, what's the language, no guarantee of employment or some such. Offer letters are nothing but a company CYA.

59 Dano

Why wouldn't management issue a WL for P2-5 Acceptable Conduct if an hourly employee brought back freight wen it was easily possible to complete without HOS? I would expect it.
First offense, give the courier the benefit of the doubt and issue an OLCC outlining expectations. Second offense, WL. Third offense, BYE.

Anyone who allows that to continue deserves whatever kind of horrible station they have.

59 Dano

Sounds like you want ME to make YOUR job easier at the expense of my outside obligations. Everything everyone does revolves around their work schedule genius. Picking up my kids, soccer practice, helping with homework, dinner. It all revolves around my scheduled hours. My loyalty is to my family. I work for them, not for FedEx. You can “operational needs” yourself to death but managers hold zero power at this company now. With the way express pays employees, fast food has just about caught them lol. You know what this “operation needs”??…. To keep its drivers happy.
"My kid has soccer practice, therefore I don't have to do my job."

dezguy

More like, "I'm scheduled till 5pm and my kids soccer practice is at 6. I'll just grab dinner when we get home from practice."

Not "I'm scheduled till 5pm but I'd better not make any plans all week because FedEx might overload me and keep me on road till 7."

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Easy solution is to send routes out with 8 hours of work and hold them accountable for completing the task.

Isn’t that why the debacle call Dynamic Roads was instituted?

Anything else is mismanagement.

Maui

More like, "I'm scheduled till 5pm and my kids soccer practice is at 6. I'll just grab dinner when we get home from practice."

Not "I'm scheduled till 5pm but I'd better not make any plans all week because FedEx might overload me and keep me on road till 7."
I definitely think you should make plans and be there for your family. It should come first. I also think that just bringing back unattempted freight shows poor character. It's OK if stops are blown out or freight is late to talk to the manager honestly and say you have a commitment in the AM before taking the stops on-road. Nearly every manager I know would work that out.

Maui

First offense, give the courier the benefit of the doubt and issue an OLCC outlining expectations. Second offense, WL. Third offense, BYE.

Anyone who allows that to continue deserves whatever kind of horrible station they have.
Yep.

McFeely

Huge Member
I also think that just bringing back unattempted freight shows poor character.

The FT am drivers at my station are expected to deliver everything daily, weather and HOS exceptions permitted. The mid-day and Wave 2 drivers are not expected to deliver everything. In fact, the FT am drivers take all the undelivered freight from the night before with them each morning.

So one group is ok with not getting everything done, but the FT routes are now expected 10-12 hours every day.

::edit to add that this is MY station and I don't know how it is nationwide with this Response crap. This different set of expectations from management has all but stopped couriers from helping each other at the end of the day. There are multiple issues at play here, but the $ compensation certainly doesn't line up with what the company expects out of couriers. Our resignations, retirements, and FT-->PT downgrades have never been higher. And we can't even keep a new courier once they run a couple of Wave 2 shifts.

dezguy

I definitely think you should make plans and be there for your family. It should come first. I also think that just bringing back unattempted freight shows poor character. It's OK if stops are blown out or freight is late to talk to the manager honestly and say you have a commitment in the AM before taking the stops on-road. Nearly every manager I know would work that out.
I've worked for plenty of managers who believe once the freight is out the door, it's no longer their problem. If I'm scheduled 830-5, I'm working 830-5. If I'm sent out over stop count, that's on the manager.

Why should I be responsible for undelivered freight when I let management know I'm over stop count before I leave and they shrug their shoulders and say they don't have anyone to help?

What's the point of a schedule if only one party is required to follow it?

Thesearecrazytimes

It happens DAILY at my station. We are so short staffed and poorly managed that our managers will let entire routes sit on a truck in the station for the entire day, unattempted. Couriers bring back packages all the time. This is a different company. Fortunately, I have one more work week to go then its on to retirement and a career change. I am looking forward to a new life where I can succeed and be happy at my job once again. Its just not possible for me to do that here.

Thesearecrazytimes

The FT am drivers at my station are expected to deliver everything daily, weather and HOS exceptions permitted. The mid-day and Wave 2 drivers are not expected to deliver everything. In fact, the FT am drivers take all the undelivered freight from the night before with them each morning.

So one group is ok with not getting everything done, but the FT routes are now expected 10-12 hours every day.

::edit to add that this is MY station and I don't know how it is nationwide with this Response crap. This different set of expectations from management has all but stopped couriers from helping each other at the end of the day. There are multiple issues at play here, but the $ compensation certainly doesn't line up with what the company expects out of couriers. Our resignations, retirements, and FT-->PT downgrades have never been higher. And we can't even keep a new courier once they run a couple of Wave 2 shifts.
Fedex Express is irreparably broken all the way around and everywhere in all ways.

Aquaman

If you have a family with young kids… you have a commitment every single day. There’s always a reason to be off when you need to be off.

Aquaman

Correction. “My kid has soccer practice AFTER my scheduled hours, therefore I already did my job.. see ya tomorrow”.

You’re not a very good manager so I don’t expect you to understand that. Those types of hard working employees who prioritize family are just “lazy” inconveniences for you. I’m a 5-8, 40 hour employee. I do everything I can in those hours. I do my job. YOU’RE a manager, so do your job and properly staff the operation….. or do we need to hear your excuses of “the pay makes hiring hard, nobody wants to work anymore. My 8 hour employees won’t work 12 hours wah wah wah wah”.

Maui

I think you’re in CO. One of the stations there is the worst performing station in the Mid-West and probably the country. I would have hired Wave 2 as FT and they’d be expected to deliver all their stops too. Anything less is frankly ridiculous.

Ongoing 10-12 hour days aren’t sustainable. There has to be plan. Of course it’s hard when you can’t hire, but I personally couldn’t support 5x8 working 11-12 5 days and then having 4x10 work the same, but with an additional day off over everyone else. There are tools available to make it better. Unfortunately when we use them to manage through it prevents some of the pay actions that should happen.

Aquaman

Yep. Can’t pick up the kids. Can’t make dentist/doctor appointments. Can’t make dinner. Can’t help with homework. Can’t be relied on for anything in my family sorry guys…. FedEx needs me for 8 hours, or maybe 12. I have to have 4 hours of flexibility every day hahaha