Salary Compare Contrast

!Retired!

Your work ethic didn’t care about another station nearby getting $3/hr bump? Work ethic is directly tied to compensation. Taking pride in your work and viewing it as worth something. You must view your work at $3 cheaper than a nearby station lol. Morale is directly tied how much you LIKE your job. How disciplined you are in doing it…. Well nobody gets disciplined here so I’m not gonna do the caring for the company.
You said it yourself. MORALE is how much you like your job, not work ethic. Getting upset that a driver, or station, gets paid $3 more affects your morale. If that affects the way you do your job, that's a poor work ethic. I don't even care what the other's make at another station. I don't even care what the driver next to me makes. Those things are irrelevant on how I do my job. THAT is work ethic.

Working4the1%

I've had 8 hr drivers get angry with me for not taking freight off them when they wanted to make sure they were getting off in 8 hours. Never mind I worked 11 hours, both on the offload and reload and was very heavy. Same guys who groused when I took my vacation although most years I only took 2 weeks and sold the rest back. But don't be standing in their way when their vacation started. The fact is that there are all kinds of personalities to deal with at work and many go out of their way to make things harder than they have to be. Even complained when I volunteered because they figured if others did extra they'd eventually be forced to. The major redeeming grace of being a FedEx courier is getting out on the road away from the fishbowl nuthouse otherwise known as the morning sort.
Sells vacation. More madness from you

vantexan

Sells vacation. More madness from you
When I was rehired in late '98 my mgr told me I would top out in about 7-8 years. Every year after that until I quit again in 2013 I heard him and other mgrs in other locations telling newhires the same thing, 7 to 8 years. Only they had no intention of doing so. When I quit almost 15 years after rehired I was making $18.17hr and top out was close to $24hr on the lowest payscale. So to make up the difference as much as possible I volunteered for most Saturdays and sold vacation. It improved my pension if nothing else. I'm currently in a private room in a nice city in southern Mexico for 3000 Pesos a month, a little less than $150 USD. I fried over a pound of chicken hearts and livers last night for the equivalent of 98 cents. My favorite restaurant here has meals for $5 to $7. In other words I'm doing what's necessary to make up for what I didn't get in my pension to pay off my bills and am comfortable doing so. You may do better than me, but you'll never persist like I do. People like you scoff, sneer, bitch at everything. Sometimes you've just got to buck up and take care of business but that's only if you have the backbone to do what's necessary.

vantexan

You said it yourself. MORALE is how much you like your job, not work ethic. Getting upset that a driver, or station, gets paid $3 more affects your morale. If that affects the way you do your job, that's a poor work ethic. I don't even care what the other's make at another station. I don't even care what the driver next to me makes. Those things are irrelevant on how I do my job. THAT is work ethic.
Up to a point that's true. But when top out is about $5.25hr more than you make when you're hired and 15 years later it's almost $6hr more than you're making, you realize that you'll never do as well, have to accept you'll never afford some things you want, that your retirement won't be as good. It grinds on many. And I imagine a person trying to take care of kids would really have a problem with a company that tells you year over year that the company is looking at it, just hang in there, it's coming soon, but it never does. And then they finally implement a new pay policy that looks like a huge improvement, will top out in 9 years, then they start playing around with the raises. So be noble and carry on. I put in almost 29 years on the clock and messed up by quitting when I was topped out long ago. And found myself in the same boat as tens of thousands when I was rehired. As far as I'm concerned my work ethic consisted of always posting some of the best numbers in the station, always volunteering to work days off including Christmas, almost always taking freight from others when asked, volunteering to unload cans. But I never shied away from telling them their pay policies were unfair to midrange employees and did so in numerous meetings including to district directors. If that's a bad work ethic to you so be it.

Thesearecrazytimes

I deliver the freight…. I’m the solution to the only problem that matters anymore. And the only problem customers care about by the way. This place is dying. Join the club. Some drivers aren’t going to do 2 days worth of deliveries in 1. That’s the reality of being a manager who manages real PEOPLE.. not just an operation. Not everyone has the flexibility to randomly stay 3-4 hours late. Some people have young kids. Some people rely on their end time. Staying late can screw up a lot more than just the start of beer drinking for some people. Great managers understand that. Unfortunately at this company the old senior employees with kids who are grown and gone are usually the ones catered to the most. You know the employees that are the past. Maybe the problems you deal with from these “problem” drivers really aren’t all that important.
If you believe that us older senior employees are catered to, YOU ARE WRONG. And because of the decades of work us employees "of the past" have done, you have a job in the present. I have had those young kids. I have worked through all kinds of personal hardships. We have been where you are. And I for one, am not at all impressed with you sir.

Thesearecrazytimes

Brings up an interesting conundrum. Which is the worse employee, one who shows up, puts in 8 hours, and refuses to do more, or one who stays until the work is finished, complains and spreads discontent, and calls in every opportunity as payback?
Its not a conundrum. Its a false dichotomy. There are other more positive examples that you have neglected to include.

Aquaman

You can be the hardest worker alive… but if you don’t know your worth, and fight for it… we’ll you’re just a purple & orange fool.

Aquaman

If you believe that us older senior employees are catered to, YOU ARE WRONG. And because of the decades of work us employees "of the past" have done, you have a job in the present. I have had those young kids. I have worked through all kinds of personal hardships. We have been where you are. And I for one, am not at all impressed with you sir.
The older senior employees topped out way faster & have held their morning routes for decades. You’ve been where I am? No you haven’t. What did you make at 15 years? Was it half the pay scale? Any clue what difference that makes in a 401K? You can’t relate to us at all. You spent 2/3rds of your career at a completely different kind of company.

Thesearecrazytimes

The older senior employees topped out way faster & have held their morning routes for decades. You’ve been where I am? No you haven’t. What did you make at 15 years? Was it half the pay scale? Any clue what difference that makes in a 401K? You can’t relate to us at all. You spent 2/3rds of your career at a completely different kind of company.
Ok.

vantexan

I was seeing for a number of years before I retired in 2017 topped out couriers getting 3% raises on higher pay while midrange got 2% on lower pay. Talk about hurting morale. Worked hard all year and got a 32¢ raise while topped out got around 70¢(on lowest payscale). So yeah, higher raises, more vacation pay, bigger contributions to 401k and Portable Pension, and usually better routes for senior couriers. Not an issue when it only takes a few years to top out(I originally did in 23 months). But 10-15 years down the road and still nowhere near top pay?

!Retired!

Up to a point that's true. But when top out is about $5.25hr more than you make when you're hired and 15 years later it's almost $6hr more than you're making, you realize that you'll never do as well, have to accept you'll never afford some things you want, that your retirement won't be as good. It grinds on many. And I imagine a person trying to take care of kids would really have a problem with a company that tells you year over year that the company is looking at it, just hang in there, it's coming soon, but it never does. And then they finally implement a new pay policy that looks like a huge improvement, will top out in 9 years, then they start playing around with the raises. So be noble and carry on. I put in almost 29 years on the clock and messed up by quitting when I was topped out long ago. And found myself in the same boat as tens of thousands when I was rehired. As far as I'm concerned my work ethic consisted of always posting some of the best numbers in the station, always volunteering to work days off including Christmas, almost always taking freight from others when asked, volunteering to unload cans. But I never shied away from telling them their pay policies were unfair to midrange employees and did so in numerous meetings including to district directors. If that's a bad work ethic to you so be it.
The whole point of this discussion is morale vs work ethic. At least you understand the difference.
You can be the hardest worker alive… but if you don’t know your worth, and fight for it… we’ll you’re just a purple & orange fool.
I can agree with that. But realize that it's YOUR choice to stay with the company. I'm not saying 'love it or leave it', but if you wake up every morning and say to yourself 'I hate this freaking place', then you're in the wrong place and should look for another job.

Thesearecrazytimes

I was seeing for a number of years before I retired in 2017 topped out couriers getting 3% raises on higher pay while midrange got 2% on lower pay. Talk about hurting morale. Worked hard all year and got a 32¢ raise while topped out got around 70¢(on lowest payscale). So yeah, higher raises, more vacation pay, bigger contributions to 401k and Portable Pension, and usually better routes for senior couriers. Not an issue when it only takes a few years to top out(I originally did in 23 months). But 10-15 years down the road and still nowhere near top pay?
Ok.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Brings up an interesting conundrum. Which is the worse employee, one who shows up, puts in 8 hours, and refuses to do more, or one who stays until the work is finished, complains and spreads discontent, and calls in every opportunity as payback?
The first one. The second one gets a pass because he gets the job done and I can OLCC, WL, and PR him out of the other issues.

Aquaman

Depends. How many undelivered packages does he bring back to the building because "AH'M SMART CUZ AH DON' WURK NO MORE'N 8 AHRS"?
More than 8 hours worth of deliveries? Make me a 4-10 and give me another off day. Otherwise hire another driver and create another route. You schedule me for 8, you got me for 8.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
More than 8 hours worth of deliveries? Make me a 4-10 and give me another off day. Otherwise hire another driver and create another route. You schedule me for 8, you got me for 8.
Sounds like you can't handle it, snowflake. BUT THA SKEJUL!!!