Salary Compare Contrast

Aquaman

So much damage has been done that I don't think that the culture can ever be changed to focus on service anything like it used to be. We still have RESPONSE packages that are left in the building every day and not attempted. Most of them. And we have couriers that regularly bring packages back unattempted because it is dark, or they are poorly trained or just lazy. And I see nothing being done to improve things. And the good, seasoned, couriers are leaving in record numbers. Yes, I am one of them.
Again.. it has nothing to do with being lazy lol. A lot of people seem to think delivering packages for 8 hours instead of 12 is the driver being lazy. Returning to the building with undelivered freight because it’s dark isn’t being lazy. This job isn’t hard work. And working later into the day isn’t working “harder”. None of its hard work. You drive around at your own pace delivering packages. Doing it for 8 hours isn’t lazy. And doing it for 12 hours isn’t hard work. It all comes down to how much of your life do you want to give the company. The drivers who cut their routes off at 8 hours and head in are the SMARTER employees. Don’t ever let yourself get fooled into thinking this job is hard work.

Aquaman

My station didn't either, even though another station nearby did
My work ethics didn't allow me to change how I did my job though

I wouldn't take the job if I wasn't getting paid, so that's a dumb question
No, I wouldn't work longer and harder for more money
That's the difference between work ethic and morale. Look up the definitions and get back to me
Your work ethic didn’t care about another station nearby getting $3/hr bump? Work ethic is directly tied to compensation. Taking pride in your work and viewing it as worth something. You must view your work at $3 cheaper than a nearby station lol. Morale is directly tied how much you LIKE your job. How disciplined you are in doing it…. Well nobody gets disciplined here so I’m not gonna do the caring for the company.

Thesearecrazytimes

Again.. it has nothing to do with being lazy lol. A lot of people seem to think delivering packages for 8 hours instead of 12 is the driver being lazy. Returning to the building with undelivered freight because it’s dark isn’t being lazy. This job isn’t hard work. And working later into the day isn’t working “harder”. None of its hard work. You drive around at your own pace delivering packages. Doing it for 8 hours isn’t lazy. And doing it for 12 hours isn’t hard work. It all comes down to how much of your life do you want to give the company. The drivers who cut their routes off at 8 hours and head in are the SMARTER employees. Don’t ever let yourself get fooled into thinking this job is hard work.
I disagree. Some are lazy. I know them. I work with them. If they wanted an 8 hour job, they should have signed on at a bank. Never said it was hard. But I totally understand that working 12 hours a day is not a good work/life balance. That is one of the many, many, reasons I am getting out.

Aquaman

I disagree. Some are lazy. I know them. I work with them. If they wanted an 8 hour job, they should have signed on at a bank. Never said it was hard. But I totally understand that working 12 hours a day is not a good work/life balance. That is one of the many, many, reasons I am getting out.
There are lazy people at Express for sure. But working 8 hours instead of 12. Or coming back with unattempted freight is no indication of laziness. I will work as hard as I have to within my 8 hour shift. Because that’s what I’m scheduled for. Give me anything. I’ll do it all. But when my 8 hours are up I’m going home to my family. That doesn’t mean I’m “leaving early” as some people like to say. It means I worked my shift. Want me to work 10 hour days? Well you’re gonna have to give me an extra off day.

Thesearecrazytimes

There are lazy people at Express for sure. But working 8 hours instead of 12. Or coming back with unattempted freight is no indication of laziness. I will work as hard as I have to within my 8 hour shift. Because that’s what I’m scheduled for. Give me anything. I’ll do it all. But when my 8 hours are up I’m going home to my family. That doesn’t mean I’m “leaving early” as some people like to say. It means I worked my shift. Want me to work 10 hour days? Well you’re gonna have to give me an extra off day.
Ok.

SozeKeyser

10 year Courier here. Base salary is 24.xx. With overtime (now especially due to labor shortage) I gross 59,000.
With Medical, Dental, 401k, & living in the Tri- State Area my take home pay is 800$ a week.
My mortgage and taxes are 1500, car and insurance 420, utilities 200, grocery bill for the month average 500 including beer/wine. Gas about 130. Misc spending about 200. So all in all about 36,000 of the 40,000 gets allocated for give or take.
As long as I’m at fedex from before sunrise to sundown. Side note; I have. Wife and kids. Wife has a job, these are just my numbers.
Compare & Contrast.
32 Year FDX driver. Worked an average of 10 hours OT this year after May 2021 ( yes no OT B4 May ) made $90K, top rate 11 years ago, 0 mortgage ( worked my ass off for 10 years straight as floater to payoff 15 years early ) 0 CC debt or auto debt, married with 2 kids at home 4 cars but kids have / upkeep 2, 10% in 401K since 2002, all bills combined maybe $1500 including out to dinner twice a week, save as much $$ as possible then slice a pc out for 2 vacations a yr. Determination control & NEVER take the eye off the GOAL for maximum $$ for retirement and U can do it. Plan is to retire at 60 if God & me keep me healthy. U don't work 50-60 years to retire for only 5-10. Leave when U can afford it & r healthy to enjoy it WHILE HESLTHY NOT old crippled & lost. Plan and ask a million questions.

Working4the1%

32 Year FDX driver. Worked an average of 10 hours OT this year after May 2021 ( yes no OT B4 May ) made $90K, top rate 11 years ago, 0 mortgage ( worked my ass off for 10 years straight as floater to payoff 15 years early ) 0 CC debt or auto debt, married with 2 kids at home 4 cars but kids have / upkeep 2, 10% in 401K since 2002, all bills combined maybe $1500 including out to dinner twice a week, save as much $$ as possible then slice a pc out for 2 vacations a yr. Determination control & NEVER take the eye off the GOAL for maximum $$ for retirement and U can do it. Plan is to retire at 60 if God & me keep me healthy. U don't work 50-60 years to retire for only 5-10. Leave when U can afford it & r healthy to enjoy it WHILE HESLTHY NOT old crippled & lost. Plan and ask a million questions.
You should be putting in max 401 k as you approach retirement. Less tax burden now. Spread it out over your retirement years. Enjoy sleeping in zzzzz

Serf

Solid approach. Thanks for input. Maybe this thread will find its way back on track!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Come on Dano. I judge people based on their character, not the career they have chosen. I find that many of your responses are condescending. I hope you listen to what I have said, even though I am just a courier. Speaking of, I have no problems finding issues that are intellectually challenging, however you have not presented any thus far.
Don't care what he does for a living, I take issue with his attitude. Some people like the hours, others enjoy the customer interaction, others like being outdoors, some people like driving... the list of reasons is endless.

He doesn't understand why anyone would take on more than is required. In his case I can understand why he wants a job with little responsibility and accountability - he probably can't handle much of either.

59 Dano

How come these so-called "smart" employees are the source of so many issues and never the solution to them?

59 Dano

"Just because I don't want to do my job doesn't mean I'm lazy."

Aquaman

Don't care what he does for a living, I take issue with his attitude. Some people like the hours, others enjoy the customer interaction, others like being outdoors, some people like driving... the list of reasons is endless.

He doesn't understand why anyone would take on more than is required. In his case I can understand why he wants a job with little responsibility and accountability - he probably can't handle much of either.
You’re missing the point lol. I DO understand why some people do more than is required… MONEY. I’m not saying those drivers are dumb. Their motivations for working 10-12 hour days and signing up for their off day make perfect sense. What doesn’t make sense are managers and other drivers thinking the guys that don’t want to do that are lazy. Say whatever you want but this job is not sold as being a 50-60 hour a week job. It’s not sold as a stay till it’s all done job. Half the time managers lie about the hours just to get applications. Compared to the drivers who work 10-12 hour days out of fear, not out of strong work ethic (these are people who don’t want to do this)… the drivers who work 8 and dip out are smarter. They don’t need the money and they’ve recognized there is no discipline for saying no. Says nothing about how hard they work during their SCHEDULED HOURS lol.

Aquaman

How come these so-called "smart" employees are the source of so many issues and never the solution to them?
I deliver the freight…. I’m the solution to the only problem that matters anymore. And the only problem customers care about by the way. This place is dying. Join the club. Some drivers aren’t going to do 2 days worth of deliveries in 1. That’s the reality of being a manager who manages real PEOPLE.. not just an operation. Not everyone has the flexibility to randomly stay 3-4 hours late. Some people have young kids. Some people rely on their end time. Staying late can screw up a lot more than just the start of beer drinking for some people. Great managers understand that. Unfortunately at this company the old senior employees with kids who are grown and gone are usually the ones catered to the most. You know the employees that are the past. Maybe the problems you deal with from these “problem” drivers really aren’t all that important.

59 Dano

You’re missing the point lol. I DO understand why some people do more than is required… MONEY. I’m not saying those drivers are dumb. Their motivations for working 10-12 hour days and signing up for their off day make perfect sense. What doesn’t make sense are managers and other drivers thinking the guys that don’t want to do that are lazy. Say whatever you want but this job is not sold as being a 50-60 hour a week job. It’s not sold as a stay till it’s all done job. Half the time managers lie about the hours just to get applications. Compared to the drivers who work 10-12 hour days out of fear, not out of strong work ethic (these are people who don’t want to do this)… the drivers who work 8 and dip out are smarter. They don’t need the money and they’ve recognized there is no discipline for saying no. Says nothing about how hard they work during their SCHEDULED HOURS lol.
We get it, you're lazy.

59 Dano

I deliver the freight…. I’m the solution to the only problem that matters anymore. And the only problem customers care about by the way. This place is dying. Join the club. Some drivers aren’t going to do 2 days worth of deliveries in 1. That’s the reality of being a manager who manages real PEOPLE.. not just an operation. Not everyone has the flexibility to randomly stay 3-4 hours late. Some people have young kids. Some people rely on their end time. Staying late can screw up a lot more than just the start of beer drinking for some people. Great managers understand that. Unfortunately at this company the old senior employees with kids who are grown and gone are usually the ones catered to the most. You know the employees that are the past. Maybe the problems you deal with from these “problem” drivers really aren’t all that important.
Translation: I'm very smart but I can't solve anything and I have plans so, like, yeah.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
We get it, you're lazy.
Brings up an interesting conundrum. Which is the worse employee, one who shows up, puts in 8 hours, and refuses to do more, or one who stays until the work is finished, complains and spreads discontent, and calls in every opportunity as payback?

vantexan

I've had 8 hr drivers get angry with me for not taking freight off them when they wanted to make sure they were getting off in 8 hours. Never mind I worked 11 hours, both on the offload and reload and was very heavy. Same guys who groused when I took my vacation although most years I only took 2 weeks and sold the rest back. But don't be standing in their way when their vacation started. The fact is that there are all kinds of personalities to deal with at work and many go out of their way to make things harder than they have to be. Even complained when I volunteered because they figured if others did extra they'd eventually be forced to. The major redeeming grace of being a FedEx courier is getting out on the road away from the fishbowl nuthouse otherwise known as the morning sort.