san francisco drivers...how do you do it???

satellitedriver

They maybe worth millions, but I imagine all the tourists driving down your street every day of the year would get a little old. And crookedy streets must get old too. My mom (for whatever reason) taught me to drive a stick shift VW in SF. Talk about scared!! Try stopping on one of those steep streets going up and then trying to shift it into gear with cars behind you. (What the heck was she thinking??)
Emergency brake at every stop.
Up or down.
She gave you some valuable driving skills teaching you there.
I just hope you didn't roll into another car while you were learning.

S

SF Driver - "retired"

I don't mean to sound like a tourist, but do any of you have to drive down the crookedest street in the world?

When I did that route, I had to walk it all off, we're not allowed to drive down in the Brownies. Besides, there would be nowhere to park and it would cause a stand still of the worst traffic congestion that already exists there. No doubt I'm in numerous cam cord video shots running up and down the 1000 block of Lombard (crooked street). WHAT SUCKED was not being able to double park on Hyde St (upper cross st) because of the cable cars!! Those cable car drivers get pissed when they can't pass! ':) To add to that, it's difficult to double park on the only remaining area left top of the hill (1100 block of Lombard) due to the major vehicle traffic waiting in line to drive down that ONE STREET (sometimes double parking there wouldn't allow traffic to pass -- hmmm...what to do, what to do - be a good driver, or a bad driver.....humph!). There's a walk only side street (Montclair) that crosses into the upper/middle 1000 block of Lombard and is accessible by double parking on Chestnut (parallel to Lombard), but it's not that helpful considering by the time you get to Lombard, it's just about as long -- if not longer -- as parking on the 1100 or 900 block of Lombard itself. Then you have the issue of a highly seen area so leaving pkgs was not only not a good idea but DR's weren't allowed in SF (so they said, then took back, and said again) either, so the send agains were guaranteed.

I asked one lady resident how she deals with simple tasks like grocery shopping....I mean she'd have wait for a vehicle to give up their right of way and actually let her back her own vehicle out of the driveway and then SLOWLY drive down, and on the way back -- what - does she have to wait in the same line with all those cars just to get back home??!! Makes you wonder if having a car living on that street is easier or harder??.... She laughed and said that's exactly what she has to do so she makes sure to keep her errands to a minimum! After thinking about what the actual residents on that street have to go through living their every day lives, I didn't think delivering there was so bad after all - it was kinda fun (I might not be saying that if I still had to do it everyday again though!!)

DS

Fenderbender
anyone wanna go skateboarding?
lombard-street.jpg

DS

Fenderbender
Here that means snow,and by the looks of that hill you'd be homering all the way down...doh...doh...doh

diesel96

One consolation they have to off set the crowds, parking and narrow steep roads is the mild tempratures....I make it a point to visit my sister's house in the Bay Area almost every Aug to escape the heat and humidity of the south. However, once you leave the bay area, it does get pretty hot inland.

uncle tom

does anyone have the address for the UPS hub in san francisco? i want to transfer there because of school purposes and my HR doesnt even have a number or address for the san fran hub, o yea i work at the Ontario California hub to give perspective...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When Barry Bonds left San Fran was his ego shipped out in a feeder along with his Medical and Mitchell report findings ????????:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2: