Satellite Route

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then switch places with them.

I have been where they are and have worked hard to get where I am today.

You are missing the point (again). I appreciate the wages and benefits that I receive. I also work very hard for those wages and benefits. I prefer not to work a lot of overtime. Some people do. To each his own.

I have read many times the number of hours that Sat works and, to me, no amount of money is worth that.

I live very comfortably within my means.

PACNW

They satellited a couple of routes out of our building a couple of years ago and it is so stupid. UPS saves no money by doing it. They never make early AM commit times, we can never get their packages to them on time, so they sit on the clock for a half hour to an hour before they ever see their 1st package. You are paying a preloader to load the packages in the TP60 once, then are essentially paying drivers OT to load the packages a second time. They end up running up miles trying to get p/u's back, then go back on route or send other drivers an hour off their route to go get them. They also hammer them everyday because the sups never have to see them, and they never know what they are going to have til it gets there. They were both great routes before they left the building. It does work out well for the bid drivers as they both shave 20 min on their commute to work, and they have no families, so they are able to tolerate the daily beating better than the rest of us.

upser7480

G-Force
They are about to start 3 sats in my center. They want the bottom 3 full time drivers to drive 100 miles a day in their own car and on their own dime to the delivery area. Work from 10:30am and then drop p/u's and diad by 18:30pm. If there's anything left to deliver they are supposed to do it on paper and call center after they are done so the oms can finish the diad work for them. How stupid is that?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here they cannot start us past 9AM, but they did TRY to make the satt guy start at 930 for a short bit. They also just use 2 diads, one to use one to trade, but we only have 1 satt route. Check with your BA about that crazy ass 1030 BS!

menotyou

bella amicizia
They are about to start 3 sats in my center. They want the bottom 3 full time drivers to drive 100 miles a day in their own car and on their own dime to the delivery area. Work from 10:30am and then drop p/u's and diad by 18:30pm. If there's anything left to deliver they are supposed to do it on paper and call center after they are done so the oms can finish the diad work for them. How stupid is that?
UPS has mileage forms just for this purpose. Late air shuttlers who use their vehicles are reimbursed at IRS rate(currently 51 cents a mile). Or, you can claim it on your taxes.
Having the OMS finish your diad could potentially be falsifying documents. Not to mention, how easy is for them to screw your pay up?
Also, in the master agreement, the entire shift starts at the same time. No staggered starts.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS has mileage forms just for this purpose. Late air shuttlers who use their vehicles are reimbursed at IRS rate(currently 51 cents a mile). Or, you can claim it on your taxes.
Having the OMS finish your diad could potentially be falsifying documents. Not to mention, how easy is for them to screw your pay up?
Also, in the master agreement, the entire shift starts at the same time. No staggered starts.

The sat drivers will be assigned to report to the sat location and as such will not be reimbursed for their mileage nor will they be able to claim it on their taxes. They may also have a later start time as they have to wait for their work to arrive. As far as the OMS finishing the DIAD, the ideal would be for the sat driver to be able to fax their delivery records but, if this is not possible, it is acceptable to relay the information over the phone. I would think that any deliveries made at this time would be residential and would be driver release. The paper records would be sent back to the center with the DIAD the following day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then why are their cover drivers driven out to the site? Murky water here, I think.

Cover drivers report to the center and and are on the clock from the time they leave the center to the time they return.

If it were me I would prefer reporting to the center and riding to the sat location with the other driver. As to whether that time would be paid or unpaid would have to be worked out between UPS and the Union. I would not want to put 100 miles a day on my vehicle.

The ideal for a sat route is for the bid driver to live closer to the sat location than to the center.

upser7480

G-Force
My center only has about 26 drivers. We all live close to the center, not the satellite area. It's a bad deal. If it goes down the way they say it is, I figure it will cost those drivers almost 20k a year in lost overtime and gas. Not that an 8 hour day would be bad, but driving 100 miles a day is brutal.....and I'm sure they will end up working those guys from 10:30 to 8:30 eventually anyway.

Dustyroads

We had a satellite driver retire, another guy bid that area, but he was only on it for a few months when the company decided to dissolve the satellite center (it contained only the one driver) and bring that work back to our building. Unfortunately for the guy who bid the area, since his "center" had been closed, he had to come back into our center and bump the very bottom driver, working assigned for a long time until a bid route came open. Not a good deal at all.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
As to whether that time would be paid or unpaid would have to be worked out between UPS and the Union. .

If you are in a pkg car, you should be on the clock right? Seems like a liability otherwise.

We had a satellite driver retire, another guy bid that area, but he was only on it for a few months when the company decided to dissolve the satellite center (it contained only the one driver) and bring that work back to our building. Unfortunately for the guy who bid the area, since his "center" had been closed, he had to come back into our center and bump the very bottom driver, working assigned for a long time until a bid route came open. Not a good deal at all.

Wow! Not good. We have had 2 different bid drivers on our 1 satellite rt at different times. If you get wind of this kind of "center elimination" in the future I would consider relinquishing the satt bid, and returning even if only temporarily to cover to retain rt seniority in the center's cover pool, if it was a better situation than the lowest assignment.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
No one can be forced to bid these satellite routes. I work in a satellite center with 7 routes. When the routes were split off the main center, we were given a choice to follow our work or bump back into the main center. All other drivers were given the opportunity to bid the route if the original driver decided not to follow their work. If no other driver wanted the route then a part time employee that was next in line to drive would have been given the opportunity to bid the route. If that did not materialize then an outside hire would have been made to fill the position.

Anyone who is forced to work on a satellite route are paid their milage to and from the package car. Not saying you might not have to file a grievance to get it but they will pay you the mileage if you have to cover. We have also had cover drivers go to work at the main center and either drive an extra package to the satellite center or had management take them back and forth.