Saturday Ground Update

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

4 10's would be a huge pay cut for most of us. Most days are 9.5 - 10+ already with all the overtime pay. 10 a "long ass day"? That's an average day out of 5. Last week I had 3 11's - in February! I hope a 4 day work week is never forced. Some of us appreciate the OT income.

It's easy to forget that the typical driver makes a good $20-$25K a year in OT. That would be a lifestyle adjustment that a lot of guys wouldn't like.

....which is why you budget based on 40....

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
They aren't going to hire anybody. What a joke.

we hired more than normal post-peak (as tues-sat drivers), so the increase in staffing going forward may not look as heavy as you'd expect, but the coverage will be there

Early rumours are that they will be cutting more than that on Mondays. Have heard that most of our satellites will also be cut on Mondays. Hoping that if the cuts are deep enough I can get away with four day weeks for the rest of my time at UPS.

generally for every 2 routes run on saturday, you can expect 1 route to be cut on monday
this has been the successful ratio to make service while still keeping plan days reasonable (9.1 avg)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It should be cut and dry.

Anyone interested in working T-S? Then after that

Bottom this many drivers, welcome to T-S. And if I'm in that mix, it is what it is. Not happy but I'll suck it up.

It shouldn't have anything to do with, you're routes cut on Mondays blah blah blah so now you're T-S. That's complete BS

this is basically how it works

anything you hear to the contrary is probably a test site from LY where they were short on staffing, or some backwater where they didn't have a choice

So they plan on running all ground packages they have on property on Saturday... Interesting

only if it's there (reliably) by 6am and in a committed lane

there will def be loads that sit

ManInBrown

Does anyone have any idea on the percentage of routes going out Saturday, compared to the rest of the week?

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread they were in a 100 route center and 25 routes were going out Saturday. Anyone else have any idea?

Dragon or Frigid your input would be appreciated

542thruNthru

Does anyone have any idea on the percentage of routes going out Saturday, compared to the rest of the week?

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread they were in a 100 route center and 25 routes were going out Saturday. Anyone else have any idea?

I believe it would all depend on the area. Don't think anyone can really give you a percentage. We don't have Saturday here yet. Should be in april. I wouldn't be surprised if half our routes go out on Saturday.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

it really depends on how many committed lanes your building has, but i'd say a rough estimate is 1/3 of your normal monday route level

jbg77

Glad you are excited for the life-altering changes some of us are about to experience.

It is a better schedule than working pt at ups and at a full time job that requires you to work summer holidays and weekends not just Saturdays. So if it opens up a ft position for me and I have to work Tu-Sat until I have enough seniority to bid off of it then so be it.

Inthegame

I agree but I've been told the union has been folding like a cheap tent everywhere. Basically telling ups yeah roll it out however you want.

Why? Because they told them it would create jobs.
Been talking to yourself again? The Tue-Sat scheme was only very recently unveiled, and the concept is to do it in limited areas. Meetings between the locals and UPS labor depts haven't even taken place yet. No one anywhere has said "roll it out however you want" to UPS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Been talking to yourself again? The Tue-Sat scheme was only very recently unveiled, and the concept is to do it in limited areas. Meetings between the locals and UPS labor depts haven't even taken place yet. No one anywhere has said "roll it out however you want" to UPS.
By recently you mean 6-8 months ago?

ManInBrown

Another question is, how will past and future center transfers be handled?

Is work schedule company seniority or center seniority? It should be center.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm interested to see just how nationwide this goes.

I really doubt it's going to make sense in my center to run more than a handful of routes in my center. Everything else is really rural

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you have enough seniority to stay M-friend, can you work Saturday if you'd like? Bump junior guys.
Wouldn't that be insane? You have forced OT all week long, BUT if you want to volunteer for OT, the company won't allow it! Place is hilarious sometimes.

Except during peak, when almost everyone will now be working six days a week. Forgot about that one.