Saturday grounds delivery

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not coming to my building till early next year. The first words about it were spoken this week. They put up a feeler sign up sheet asking for volunteers. They asked if anyone would be interested in switching to a T-S schedule. No idea if they will actually utilize the list. Something tells me they are just surveying the landscape.
June 1 here. More to come...

luke3115

How can I tell how many routes are suppose to be on a certain day? I would like to find out if we are under staffed. Sorry I'm somewhat of a newbie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How can I tell how many routes are suppose to be on a certain day? I would like to find out if we are under staffed. Sorry I'm somewhat of a newbie.

There is no way for a driver, no matter their status, to know how many routes are supposed to be on road on a certain day, other than to ask the dispatch supervisor.

MethodsMan

Its going to be a cluster in bigger buildings with multiple centers. 3 centers in my building. They have to go by building seniority. Lots of drivers delivering in areas that they have no idea about. I only have around 4.5 years in but there's already so many below me that its highly likely I will remain mon-fri.

What happens on Monday though with some of these junior drivers that have already bid a business heavy route?? Does a high seniority guy go out blind on that route on Monday?

ManInBrown

Its going to be a cluster in bigger buildings with multiple centers. 3 centers in my building. They have to go by building seniority. Lots of drivers delivering in areas that they have no idea about. I only have around 4.5 years in but there's already so many below me that its highly likely I will remain mon-fri.

What happens on Monday though with some of these junior drivers that have already bid a business heavy route?? Does a high seniority guy go out blind on that route on Monday?
Just to clarify what you're saying is they take the whole building and staff Saturday? The centers are not staffed separately?

MethodsMan

Just to clarify what you're saying is they take the whole building and staff Saturday? The centers are not staffed separately?

What I'm saying is that seniority for the entire building supersedes just your center. So no one is sitting at home on a Saturday who has less seniority than you in your building, regardless of center.

PT Car Washer

Our BA informed us that this is what the union originally wanted, but UPS wanted to pay a "special" Saturday rate, like 20$/hr, and the union said no.
My building can't even staff 7 PT Saturday Air drivers at $27.64/hr. for 4 hours. Don't know how they would think UPS could staff 20+ drivers for 10+ hours a day for $20/hr.

Cgs1226

Just had our first Saturday and that's exactly what happened. 170 stops 120 miles...unbelievable. They maybe ran 20 routes out of 80ish. If this keeps up I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

Ya I know it's coming. Honestly only reason I care is I have a Saturday job I like to get to by 4. Asked for straight hours they said no. Asked to maybe do every other tue thru sat mon thru Fri so on and so on. Not going to happen lol

KOG72

I’m full of it
There should be a sheet on the wall in the dispatchers office that says how many routes for that day and it's usually has the whole week on it.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
They are testing saturday ground deliveries at the rockdale IL facility. starts sometime in April. They are creating a tue-sat shift. Its opening up a lot of new driver slots. They are still working out all the details.
It will not open up drivers slots or create work cuz 90% of the Saturday work is actually Monday's work which lets them caught 25% of the routes on Monday and you will see

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
It will not open up drivers slots or create work cuz 90% of the Saturday work is actually Monday's work which lets them caught 25% of the routes on Monday and you will see
Sunday ground will be next I can bet you
Saturday is coming to our center the beginning of the summer. It's supposed to add few full time jobs and I might be getting one of them!
dont believe that is a line of bs. As 90. % of Saturday's work is from Monday works and that is why they cut 25% of routes on Monday. Once again ups outsmarts teamsters

Gimme Danger

I think the Saturday rate should be $50 an hour.
There should be premium pay for non Mon - Fri work schedules. Next contract....

Sunday ground will be next I can bet you

dont believe that is a line of bs. As 90. % of Saturday's work is from Monday works and that is why they cut 25% of routes on Monday. Once again ups outsmarts teamsters
The initial volume is from Monday. Ups is selling the service to add volume. But in order to plan it, yes, the volume is initially Monday volume. I've heard they were actually honest about that (surprisingly), but the goal was to push the service.
They cut routes Mondays already. With routes & volume shifted to T-S, it shouldn't be very different. Drivers shouldn't go home on Mondays (or Saturdays). Demand your guarantees, grieve if denied.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There should be premium pay for non Mon - Fri work schedules. Next contract....
Way too late for that, don't you think?
The initial volume is from Monday. Ups is selling the service to add volume. But in order to plan it, yes, the volume is initially Monday volume. I've heard they were actually honest about that (surprisingly), but the goal was to push the service.
They cut routes Mondays already. With routes & volume shifted to T-S, it shouldn't be very different. Drivers shouldn't go home on Mondays (or Saturdays). Demand your guarantees, grieve if denied.
It's just a matter of time before UPS delivers 7 days a week and has sorts running around the clock.

You need to look no further than the previously innocuous language for alternate work schedules to validate my assertion.

It's coming folks and has been in the contract for years, no way around it.
There will be no premium pay for a specific named day of the week.

Gimme Danger

Way too late for that, don't you think?

It's just a matter of time before UPS delivers 7 days a week and has sorts running around the clock.

You need to look no further than the previously innocuous language for alternate work schedules to validate my assertion.

It's coming folks and has been in the contract for years, no way around it.
There will be no premium pay for a specific named day of the week.
NorCal has a differential in their supplement. There should be common themes we fight for across supplements.