Saturday grounds delivery

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For the last several years, I have had more missed stops on the 5th of July than I have on the 23rd of December (except when weather was an issue). UPS has mastered the art of the self-inflicted service failure, and we will take it to a whole new level on Mondays once the Saturday ground service starts. Combining two full pickup routes into one car might seem like a good idea from inside of a cubicle in Atlanta but in the real world it is simply impossible.

PT Car Washer

I'm not going to say where I live in New Jersey but about an hour and half ago, I saw a UPS package car making a residential delivery. I never saw that before on a Saturday afternoon.
We will have an occasional 2S package on Saturday with end of day commit time. Always run them last to milk the clock.

LeadBelly

Banned
This is the issue I am foreseeing when we go to Saturdays.

Mondays are already enough of a smiletshow during the summer; routes get haphazardly combined and drivers wind up with 12 hours worth of business deliveries, or 4 hours worth of pickups to do in a 2 hour time window... in a car that can only physically contain half of the volume on what is typically our heaviest day in terms of pickups. Thinning out the volume even more by delivering some of it on Saturday will only make the problem worse. My prediction: we will have more service failures on Mondays during the summer months than we do during peak.
I agree, but they are thinking the volume picks up as a whole from this with some coming through on mondays. Eventually speeding up the lanes to get everything there a day or so earlier to balance out the days. I know what you are going to say. That ain't gonna happen, but I sure hope it does. I'd like to see this company explode with volume and profits this year. We are going into negotiations and this could really help.

I can tell you for sure that it has the IBT's attention. There is existing language that will be used, and we got some good people working on it. Starting this 17 months before the contract will benefit us all.
I know local 177 was fighting it for awhile then the company went full force this year... The thing is the company isn't working g with the union... Sometimes they forget they have a union to work with and that it would go so much smoother if they put them in the loop.

opie

I'm not going to say where I live in New Jersey but about an hour and half ago, I saw a UPS package car making a residential delivery. I never saw that before on a Saturday afternoon.

Plane came in several hours late. Many drivers were out till late afternoon.

Cgs1226

I'm in Great Lakes Region. Starting April 22. Saying 8 hour dispatch to start. Probably going to hit us with 200 stops and say won't be a bad day because it's all residential.

ManInBrown

Not coming to my building till early next year. The first words about it were spoken this week. They put up a feeler sign up sheet asking for volunteers. They asked if anyone would be interested in switching to a T-S schedule. No idea if they will actually utilize the list. Something tells me they are just surveying the landscape.

luke3115

I'm in Great Lakes Region. Starting April 22. Saying 8 hour dispatch to start. Probably going to hit us with 200 stops and say won't be a bad day because it's all residential.

Just had our first Saturday and that's exactly what happened. 170 stops 120 miles...unbelievable. They maybe ran 20 routes out of 80ish. If this keeps up I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

Just had our first Saturday and that's exactly what happened. 170 stops 120 miles...unbelievable. They maybe ran 20 routes out of 80ish. If this keeps up I'm not gonna be a happy camper.
I hate to say it but it's going to be the norm... The junior guys are going to have to do it until they can get a Monday to Friday if the senior guys don't want to.

luke3115

I get the seniority thing but I'm not even to full wage progression yet. In year 3 of 4. I feel we should at least be top pay or compensated somehow for this huge change. There were plenty of other ways UPS could have gone about this big change.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

When Saturday ground is coming has been the least of our worries, our new Division Manager sat our whole center down(105-115 drivers) about 6 weeks ago and apologized to us for basically somebody not doing there job.

She told us that we were down 23 drivers for the whole building, we have another center but we were missing the majority of the driving jobs. It has been the first time I have heard management say we could have put 5-7 routes on but we don't have the drivers.

We're borrowing like crazy from outlining centers. I hope they can get it fixed. It has gotten a little better but it still isn't enough drivers. They did throw out August 1 as our start date for Saturday.

When Saturday ground is coming has been the least of our worries, our new Division Manager sat our whole center down(105-115 drivers) about 6 weeks ago and apologized to us for basically somebody not doing there job.

She told us that we were down 23 drivers for the whole building, we have another center but we were missing the majority of the driving jobs. It has been the first time I have heard management say we could have put 5-7 routes on but we don't have the drivers.

We're borrowing like crazy from outlining centers. I hope they can get it fixed. It has gotten a little better but it still isn't enough drivers. They did throw out August 1 as our start date for Saturday.
That always happens in local 177... When the volume is down, they put on the freeze... Then when sheet hits the fan they are not prepared... It's like watching chickens running around with their heads cut off... Always dictated by the volume...