Saturday or Sunday hmm

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
For once, I agree with you Upstate. Signing up to work Saturday or Sunday is not greedy. It's an opportunity. When my kids were younger, I never volunteered to work Saturdays preferring to spend time with them. But 2 of my kids are working on Saturday and my youngest will be with her friends on Saturday.
I also look at it like this, soon I will be retired. Pension, social security and my 401k plan. How many raises or chances to earn extra money will I have after I retire?
I would rather go into retirement with way more money than I would project I would need for over 30 years. Because I know I won't be getting much of pay increases in those years, and inflation or other forces can negatively affect my retirement.
So I think I will volunteer too work Saturday too.
Sunday is 7th punch= double time=easy choice.
Double time?

Irishman Collins

Senior guys choose quick, Saturday sign up list or mandatory Sunday. How many other drivers were told last Friday morning PCM that we quote "might" unquote be working both Saturday and Sunday. First off DOT regulations say 34 hours off between weeks so that means one or the other choose your poison, Saturday or Sunday. So because they announced the might be working last Friday could also grieve that the company did provide one weeks notice for the scheduled start time or mandatory work day. I might show up Monday, I might not. Don't think that would go over to well with management. Lastly is a drop in the bucket, which would be unsafe working conditions, that the body requires at least two days to recuperate considering the 1.5-2 times the increased work load, helper or not. Be safe, be smart, work using the methods all the time as if your being watched, because you probably are.
Hmmm....working the day after Thanksgiving and possibly working Saturdays and Sunday's. Anybody guess what the common denominator is? Well, if you can't guess it is our current I..B.T. administration continually opening Pandora s box and not fighting for its members!! What's next, working Christmas day? I mean, according to our geniuses at the top shall not be required to work means you will be required to work on all listed holidays! Don't be to suprised if the I.B.T agrees to 7 day work weeks.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hmmm....working the day after Thanksgiving and possibly working Saturdays and Sunday's. Anybody guess what the common denominator is? Well, if you can't guess it is our current I..B.T. administration continually opening Pandora s box and not fighting for its members!! What's next, working Christmas day? I mean, according to our geniuses at the top shall not be required to work means you will be required to work on all listed holidays! Don't be to suprised if the I.B.T agrees to 7 day work weeks.
I desperately wan't to disagree,....but how can I?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think the argument is whether the company can alter our schedules on an anomaly, or whether the language is in regards to a schedule ongoing.

If your regular schedule is Monday through Friday, is Saturday or Sunday therefore "extra work" and subject to premium pay, irregardless of the pay period?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Wouldn't be surprised a push for a 60 hour work week eventually down the road eventually, 5, 10 15, 20 years down the road. Their going to run themselves into the ground with the quality of workers eventually somehow. Bunch of ascholes who want to control every aspect of your life why? = DUMB PHUCQKKERSCZZZ THINK WE MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THEIR SLAVESHOP lol.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Wouldn't be surprised a push for a 60 hour work week eventually down the road eventually, 5, 10 15, 20 years down the road. Their going to run themselves into the ground with the quality of workers eventually somehow. Bunch of ascholes who want to control every aspect of your life why? = DUMB PHUCQKKERSCZZZ THINK WE MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THEIR SLAVESHOP lol.
Yes they do think we make too much, i thought with the company profits being high as they are would satisfy everyone involved.

AKCoverMan

No word about Saturday or Sunday work here and it's Friday already so kinda late now.

There will be normal Saturday air work. I volunteered as I've worked under 40 going into today and Saturday air work is easy work all at OT rate. Find out today if they use me.

Dweezel

I agree the IBT officers in charge of making day after Thanksgiving and now Sunday work mandatory should have their heads put on pikes at the union hall entrance for all the officers to see why you don't screw with its membership.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I agree the IBT officers in charge of making day after Thanksgiving and now Sunday work mandatory should have their heads put on pikes at the union hall entrance for all the officers to see why you don't screw with its membership.

The IBT, doesn't make business decisions for the company.

They did that all by themselves. Blame UPS.

The second half of your statement is hilarious.

Are you talking about the 70% of UPS members....

That didn't even vote on their own contract ?

Kids these days.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Don't read the contract much.... Do ya ? :biggrin:

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We all knew it was a matter of time before Black Friday became a thing of the past.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't read the contract much.... Do ya ? :biggrin:

-Bug-

Perhaps he lost his secret decoder ring?
secretdecoderring_zpsc73b6fee.jpg

Comes in handy when knowing how to read isn't enough.

"A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the
following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve-regardless
of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls."

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
No work for me tomorrow, SO SO SORRY I HAD 17 HOURS OT THIS WEEK lol. That's how you do it and make sure you run almost out of hours on Friday. Learn the game suckers, I don't love that workey workey on Saturday, but I love that sleepy time on Saturday lmfao.

Notretiredyet

After all the begging,pleading and tales of doom for us on Monday if we didn't work Saturday many of us agreed to work. Then late yesterday many of us received a message saying our routes are not going out. Why am I not surprised? And on Monday when the stuff hits the fan and Im unable to finish, our crack smoking dispatch team will be home in bed. Nothing changes.