Saturday or Sunday hmm

A certain poster, say my name!
I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable, but they are only questions that continue to go unanswered.

Too smart for their own good???
What does that mean?
I've heard that twice today, is it a veiled threat??

You might want to try thinking for yourself for a change.
Oh I get it. Your job is to question everything. Okay carry on with your purpose. You're doing a good job with it.

upschuck

So in other words, this language is irrelevant and has been so for how long?
How are we supposed to accept that answer?
I don't know how long that other part has been in, how many Pres did nothing to change it? Did you put in a suggestion for that change in this contract?

Don't accept it, don't call in, just tell them you are not required to come in that day, and grieve it.

Inthegame

We need to stop being hypnotized by the hourly rate, before everything else is gone.
Remember, our dues are predicated by that very rate.
Follow the money.
Had the IBT negotiated $1.00 yearly increases and offset the difference with lower benefit increases, this last CBA would have passed 3-1 but the IBT didn't do that now did they. They also didn't take a penny in dues increases from the retro checks, which should have been effective Oct 1, 2013, which in turn caused revenue losses to every UPS local.
Does TDU have an open position for headline writer?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Did you put in a suggestion for that change in this contract?

I did not, as I thought and still think that the language is clear and fairly rigid.

Don't accept it, don't call in, just tell them you are not required to come in that day, and grieve it.

I have always signed up for these days in the past and will continue in the future.
Can't resist the double time.
Now when they tell me I have to work Christmas???....count on me not coming in, no-call no-show.
Until then, I wouldn't feel right grieving it, but would welcome the opportunity as a steward to argue the merits of the case.

In the end, this is just a discussion and I appreciate your candor.
I poke at BUG, because he pretends to know something that he won't share.
It aggravates Bojangles; as it seems to make him nervous, then angry, when anybody questions any facet of the union.
He tends to view it as some people view Momma jokes.
He runs full circle periodically contending these are just words on the internet, but always finds himself wrought with hard feelings over a differences of opinions.
I hope he gets over it, again.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Had the IBT negotiated $1.00 yearly increases and offset the difference with lower benefit increases, this last CBA would have passed 3-1 but the IBT didn't do that now did they. They also didn't take a penny in dues increases from the retro checks, which should have been effective Oct 1, 2013, which in turn caused revenue losses to every UPS local.
Does TDU have an open position for headline writer?
You are right, it would have passed overwhelmingly and that is what I am cautioning people against.
Look past the hourly rate as it will most certainly level off at some point, and when it does, I hope we don't realize that we have sold off the rest of our century old negotiated benefits in the process.

Inthegame

Ok, in the game. Then you would admit that the I.B.T. has failed in protecting members rights to not work the named holidays by not using past practice as an argument...
The IBT negotiated a CBA with UPS providing language giving Teamsters the right to move UPS's packages every day UPS operates. No language precludes UPS from scheduling days without the IBT's permission (excepting Labor Day), to move packages and Teamsters move those packages. Sub contractors can be used only after exhausting all bargaining unit employees.
Past practice only kicks in if the CBA is silent. The IBT's lawyers advised the IBT brass that the contract language exists for scheduling work on holidays, and again Teamsters do that work.
... or strengthening weak language that has been in place for decades? I appreciate your attempt to clarity but why not take it one step further and lay the blame where it should lie solely. This one doesn't lie with U.P.S.
Your presumption is that the IBT "knew" UPS would apply language to work a full fledged operation on Friday after Thanksgiving 2014 during the CBA negotiations of 2013 (before the 2013 Christmas meltdown). There was no way that could have been predicted so the existing language was not adjusted.
This is solely UPS's call as the IBT does not schedule UPS's work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I poke at BUG, because he pretends to know something that he won't share.

What is "except as otherwise provided" in reference to? When is "no seniority employee shall be required" relevant?

Did you want to pay your monthly dues, directly to me ? Cash, check, or paypal will work. But, you incur the associated fees.

Still waiting. :biggrin:

Lay the blame where it should lie solely. This one doesn't lie with U.P.S.

Wow. That is a definitive statement by a "company" man.... if I ever heard one.

Your presumption is that the IBT "knew" UPS would apply language to work a full fledged operation on Friday after Thanksgiving 2014 during the CBA negotiations of 2013 (before the 2013 Christmas meltdown). There was no way that could have been predicted so the existing language was not adjusted.

See.... that's how it's done.

If you are going to take the ball to the hoop, go strong.

None of that little whinny, meandering, 2-handed (between the legs) free throw.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Perhaps his assumption was that this long standing language would be "applied" as it had been for decades and that the IBT would put up a fight, instead of siding with the company?
The language need not be adjusted, rather argued and defended.

Why would anybody grieve this, when the IBT had already disseminated through the various panels and locals their position that this was not a violation?

See.... that's how it's done.

If you are going to take the ball to the hoop, go strong.

None of that little whinny, meandering, 2-handed (between the legs) free throw.

That strong move was just swatted into the first row of the bleachers. Lol

Last edited:
I love being a teamster. I thank God that good old guys took me under their wing 20 years ago. I appreciate those teamsters and want to make a difference. I'm a little nuts. Im a teamster that's a little nuts about being a teamster. I enjoy the hell out of being a teamster. I thank the teamsters and the guys that brought me up in my local to help me appreciate what I have in being a teamster. The benefits the wages the respect that a teamster gets. I appreciate when I was almost out of a job and the president and the whole e board came a protected my job. It was one of the proudest days of my life. I have a lot to be thankful for in being a teamster. They protected my family when the company wanted to take their future away. Proud teamster.

Irishman Collins

The IBT negotiated a CBA with UPS providing language giving Teamsters the right to move UPS's packages every day UPS operates. No language precludes UPS from scheduling days without the IBT's permission (excepting Labor Day), to move packages and Teamsters move those packages. Sub contractors can be used only after exhausting all bargaining unit employees.
Past practice only kicks in if the CBA is silent. The IBT's lawyers advised the IBT brass that the contract language exists for scheduling work on holidays, and again Teamsters do that work.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Past practice can be applied to language that isn't silent. For example, in this case the language had been interpreted the same for decades. Now all of a sudden it's been interpreted to mean something entirely different. That is when past practice can be argued unless of course the I.B.T. agreed to its current interpretation and that my friend is exactly what happened.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Past practice can be applied to language that isn't silent.

Yep.

For example, in this case the language had been interpreted the same for decades.

Um.... not really.

Now all of a sudden it's been interpreted to mean something entirely different.

It's not been re-interpreted.

Just applied differently.

That is when past practice can be argued

You can argue "past practice" all you want.

There are 5 requirements, that must be met.

And let me tell you.... the bar is set high.... for the requirements to be met.

(Not just through the Panel system, but in Arbitration)

-Bug-

*Are people just going to complain.... Or, file a grievance ?*