Saturday's causing pay issues

LagunaBrown

Grieve and ask for a green check and penalty pay every week. They will fix it fast when they get extra work and it cost them money. Our cover divers are getting thousands due to miscoding issues. Free money.

542thruNthru

pay issues? I doubt it

I'm guessing this is a joke. I appreciate the humor but try to remember some people come to this website for real issues.

I for one enjoy a good joke. :censored2: talking is always one of my favorites. I just ask that you make it obvious that you are not trying to be helpful.

I apologize for ruining anyone's fun. We have enough problems with politics that we don't need any misunderstandings. ;)

P.S. intoxicated.
Carry on. ;)

brownIEman

Just like the sure post. I have a delivery for a house and see a sure post package sitting there. What a freaking joke

I don't understand your objection. There was a surepost package delivered to the post office the day before (or earlier) and the post office wound up delivering the same day you had a delivery for the house?

SMH at surepost ..... just give the company away ...making maybe half a penny on those

The company does make mere pennies on surepost. It does however make more money on the other UPS service level packages that the customers that use Surepost give us. If we did not offer surepost, those customers would utilize FedEx' smarpost for their cheap no frills deliveries and would likely use FedEx for most of those other service level packages as well, so those packages would help Fedex' bottom line and support Fedex employee levels and not UPS'.

Not trying to be a jerk but I get the impression you guys don't really understand surepost. Either that or you are actively looking for something to gripe about.

I don't understand your objection. There was a surepost package delivered to the post office the day before (or earlier) and the post office wound up delivering the same day you had a delivery for the house?

The company does make mere pennies on surepost. It does however make more money on the other UPS service level packages that the customers that use Surepost give us. If we did not offer surepost, those customers would utilize FedEx' smarpost for their cheap no frills deliveries and would likely use FedEx for most of those other service level packages as well, so those packages would help Fedex' bottom line and support Fedex employee levels and not UPS'.

Not trying to be a jerk but I get the impression you guys don't really understand surepost. Either that or you are actively looking for something to gripe about.
UPS is supposed to be able to forecast the following days deliveries. I honestly think they just want to eliminate jobs, no matter how much it costs them.

brownIEman

they're hub employees

it's something to do with their job codes or maybe the time cards not being loan-borrowed correctly

I was amazingly thrilled when we moved from PTE to GTS for timecards. PTE was center-centric in it's architecture not employee-centric, which was probably due to the technology of the time it was created. I thought with GTS we finally have a system that views the employee as the atomic data point, no-matter where they are working globally within the company (the G in GTS does stand for global after all).
Which is all mostly true... except for Hub and Feeder. I guess the HF/TFCS systems architects did not want to go through the work of seemlesly rolling up their timecard systems with GTS, so it is sort of bandaided together and crap like this results.

Anyway, I will likely get disagrees from this as you did from your comments. They don't understand how the system architecture for these systems works, and they don't care. Nor should they. Getting payroll correct is the absolute most important role of front line management IMHO, and there is no excuse for having it wrong.

Last edited:

brownIEman

UPS is supposed to be able to forecast the following days deliveries. I honestly think they just want to eliminate jobs, no matter how much it costs them.

OK, but how many days prior did that surepost package come through the system? Are you sure it was just the day before? You give a lot of credit to the Post office if you think it NEVER takes them more than the next day to deliver the surepost. Also to the preload. A surepost put in the wrong bag would naturally take more than one day as it would wind up in the wrong post office.
Also, did the customer that shipped the package you delivered, correctly upload their shipping data to UPS when they shipped it? If not, that package would not be in the forecast and the system would not have known it was coming when the surepost package came through.

UPS went into the surepost bit kicking and screaming only AFTER FDX started smartpost and started taking away not just the supper cheap smartpost packages, but also started to use that service as leverage to get regular higher revenue packages from our customers.

You are clearly looking for things to gripe about. Seriously, you think the company wants to eliminate jobs no matter what it costs them? Really, you actually think that if someone went to the board of directors and said "hey, we can get rid of all your employees. Course it will cost you all your revenue and you'll be out of business and all the millions in UPS stock you all individually hold will be worthless, costing you tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars".
Their response would be "Great, I don't care how much it costs me, I just want to eliminate jobs!" I have a hard time believing a functioning adult actually believes that.

OK, but how many days prior did that surepost package come through the system? Are you sure it was just the day before? You give a lot of credit to the Post office if you think it NEVER takes them more than the next day to deliver the surepost. Also to the preload. A surepost put in the wrong bag would naturally take more than one day as it would wind up in the wrong post office.
Also, did the customer that shipped the package you delivered, correctly upload their shipping data to UPS when they shipped it? If not, that package would not be in the forecast and the system would not have known it was coming when the surepost package came through.

UPS went into the surepost bit kicking and screaming only AFTER FDX started smartpost and started taking away not just the supper cheap smartpost packages, but also started to use that service as leverage to get regular higher revenue packages from our customers.

You are clearly looking for things to gripe about. Seriously, you think the company wants to eliminate jobs no matter what it costs them? Really, you actually think that if someone went to the board of directors and said "hey, we can get rid of all your employees. Course it will cost you all your revenue and you'll be out of business and all the millions in UPS stock you all individually hold will be worthless, costing you tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars".
Their response would be "Great, I don't care how much it costs me, I just want to eliminate jobs!" I have a hard time believing a functioning adult actually believes that.
I'm really not sure what fantasy land you live in. I've been watching the company lose business for years due to too many cut routes. Can't make pickups if you don't have enough drivers or available cube space.

brownIEman

I'm really not sure what fantasy land you live in. I've been watching the company lose business for years due to too many cut routes. Can't make pickups if you don't have enough drivers or available cube space.

What fantasy land do you live in? If we keep losing customers due to cut routes, why does volume keep going up? The very first concern management had to deal with when cutting a route in the centers I worked in was making sure the pickups were covered. If you are working with weak management, I apologize to you, that is a bigger headache than dealing with weak hourlies (and THAT is a huge headache, let me assure you). There is no way during my tenure as an ORS that I would have been allowed to let cut routes result in missed pickups.
I saw many customers who left us during my tenure. Most of those were taken due to being offered lower rates from our competitors who have much lower employee costs. Many of those customers however, I saw come back to us months or a couple years later and the came back due to service.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
we don't dispatch below the minimum pickup route level, no matter what the SPC is

brownIEman

Surge in residential delivery demand? Lower profit per package though?

Yes, the volume growth is mainly based in residential growth. But where do you think that those growing residential packages are coming from? Do you think it is from other residential customers shipping to each other? No, it is due to the sea change in how retail is done in our society, from the brick and mortar business model to online retail. The package volume comes from mostly businesses to their end consumers. Gumby claimed that we are losing those businesses because of poor service on the pickup side due to too much work on too few routes.

We are not losing customers en-masse as he implies due to poor service. Ask any of the sales folks, you will find that when we loose a business customer 9 times out of 10 it is because of the cost of our service. UPS cost is driven mostly by the higher cost of UPS' employees. If a lot of the posters on this site get their way, that cost disparity will continue to rise sharply with this next contract. UPS has only one way to remain profitable. As the cost of each employee rises more quickly than the competitions', UPS must get more production out of each employee.

Yes, as you might surmise, this problem is potentially exacerbated by the fact that most of the volume growth is in lower profit/piece residential volume, although the competition is facing that same issue and as UPS typically has greater stop densities (other than the post office) it may actually be more of a challenge for them than for UPS.

Box Ox

The package volume comes from mostly businesses to their end consumers.

I would've guessed the surge in residential volume is mostly from a few select online retailers that aren't really affected by slides in route service quality. Because they're picked up by the trailer, not the package car.