Saturday's causing pay issues

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I would've guessed the surge in residential volume is mostly from a few select online retailers that aren't really affected by slides in route service quality. Because they're picked up by the trailer, not the package car.
wtf

brownIEman

I would've guessed the surge in residential volume is mostly from a few select online retailers that aren't really affected by slides in route service quality. Because they're picked up by the trailer, not the package car.

That's a very good point. I really don't know what has the larger impact on our growth. Sure the few Amazons and Target on line etc are adding millions in resi volume. On the other hand, there are literally millions of Bob's Gun's, Vape Warehouse, Sign's Unlimited etc. That are all moving to or expanding online presence retail if they want to survive. I have no idea which segment adds more total volume.

I do know that for the past decade or more when sales did follow-up interviews with lost customers the reasons given for leaving were by a huge majority due to price not service. Admittedly I've been out for more than a year but I'd be very surprised if that trend has reversed.

brownIEman

Great now we've got two IE know it all's in this thread. Close it down mods, IE is here they've got this all figured out.

Calm down cinderella.

The tone of your posts portrays you looking down your nose at them.

Talk to, not at. It goes a lot better that way

I tend to get wordy and I also take fairly strongly held positions in debates in these threads. These pug headed positions of mine are born of 23 years experience in a vast variety of the many segments of UPS operations.

I have a pet peeve about patronizing and condescending to others however (probably one of the reasons I never moved above supervisor in my 23 years)

So Gumby, (and this goes for anyone else on the board) if you've taken any of my posts as talking at you our down to you, or seen them as equally condescending as the posts DriveInDriveOut aimed at me, you have my apologies. That was not my intent.

I tend to get wordy and I also take fairly strongly held positions in debates in these threads. These pug headed positions of mine are born of 23 years experience in a vast variety of the many segments of UPS operations.

I have a pet peeve about patronizing and condescending to others however (probably one of the reasons I never moved above supervisor in my 23 years)

So Gumby, (and this goes for anyone else on the board) if you've taken any of my posts as talking at you our down to you, or seen them as equally condescending as the posts DriveInDriveOut aimed at me, you have my apologies. That was not my intent.
23 years is a rookie in my book. Trying listening sometime. You might actually learn something

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

tldr

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

how come the numbers dont reflect the amount you need to succeed

Box Ox

let's just say there are people in IE that got there because they were experienced Operators, but can't do algebra to save their lives

sure experience is great, but basic arithmetic skills are better

tenor.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We are not losing customers en-masse as he implies due to poor service. Ask any of the sales folks, you will find that when we loose a business customer 9 times out of 10 it is because of the cost of our service. UPS cost is driven mostly by the higher cost of UPS' employees. If a lot of the posters on this site get their way, that cost disparity will continue to rise sharply with this next contract. UPS has only one way to remain profitable. As the cost of each employee rises more quickly than the competitions', UPS must get more production out of each employee.
How about cutting some of the redundant, useless supervisors and safety people ? The ones who are just along for the ride, in positions that require no skill set ? The people who are put aside so they don't damage operations? Instead of focusing on getting more "production" out of people, who don't actually produce any product?

I see at least 20 or 30 supervisors who provide nothing at all to the company, but are "in" because we work in a giant hub and someone, somewhere deemed it was more effective to have these pointless positions held, than hire another worker to DO the work (which we can't seem to keep)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How about cutting some of the redundant, useless supervisors and safety people ? The ones who are just along for the ride, in positions that require no skill set ? The people who are put aside so they don't damage operations? Instead of focusing on getting more "production" out of people, who don't actually produce any product?

I see at least 20 or 30 supervisors who provide nothing at all to the company, but are "in" because we work in a giant hub and someone, somewhere deemed it was more effective to have these pointless positions held, than hire another worker to DO the work (which we can't seem to keep)
i wish

i think we may actually have the right management staffing number, but the distribution and organization is awful