Seasonal driver wage?

MassWineGuy

Seasonal coverage drivers get18.75 once the contract is ratified. Retroactive pay will be paid out for all seasonal work since Aug. 1st.

This is a very nice surprise. No one mentioned it to me at the center.

To the OP: Do you also have another job that pays better than $16 an hour? If not, isn't it better to be making $16 an hour instead of zero an hour? What type of work are you qualified for to get more? You should definitely not work for UPS because you'll feel bitter the whole time and that's a real pleasure for any driver to put up with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seasonal coverage drivers get18.75 once the contract is ratified. Retroactive pay will be paid out for all seasonal work since Aug. 1st.

Are you 100% sure about this? It would seem to me that seasonal employees were hired under the provisions of the contract currently in place and therefore would not be entitled to retro pay once all of the supplements have been passed.

AirTractor

Are you 100% sure about this? It would seem to me that seasonal employees were hired under the provisions of the contract currently in place and therefore would not be entitled to retro pay once all of the supplements have been passed.

Have a sneaky feeling this is true. Oh well, just glad to have winter work!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Truer words were never spoke. The first response of the first post I made on here told me everything I needed to know, I just didn't know that at the time.

lol
Thanks ... I think!

Just curious ... you work for UPS now and if you don't care. your position.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was a letter carrier at USPS and now work for UPS.

More specifically....I was a a T.E. at USPS. The union royally screwed us by getting rid of that job title and changing it to C.C.A so they could cut $5.95/hr from us. I'm a cover driver at UPS now and make $25.21/hr.

With that said, UPS is 10 times harder and worse than USPS. Seriously. I'm not the type that likes to give advice because people are different (you might like UPS, I dunno) but I'm pretty adamant on this subject. lol. Delivering mail I remember thinking "damn the UPS guy has it easy, he just drives around mostly while I'm walking all these loops". Boy was I wrong. Getting in/out of that truck 180 times a day by itself is a lot of wear and tear on the body. Every day is overwhelming, these trucks don't go out half empty, or even full...they are WAY OVER full every fricken day pretty much.

It was a probably a mistake for me to leave USPS (although I'm not sure how I would have afforded my mortgage).

You would likely work Saturdays as a new UPS driver delivering next day air. If you have cover drivers their, it's likely you would work only a couple days a week then Saturday.

I know USPS has no OT list....no more than 8 hours or you can grieve it....UPS's "list" is ridiculous...it's 9.5. Here, that puts you clocking out at 7:15, not much time for a life. I remember clocking out almost every day at 4:30 for one summer at USPS, man it was awesome.

I could say a lot more but this is too long already. I encountered some harassment at USPS...the Postmaster stood behind me my first couple days as a CCA while I was casing mail...I didn't know the route...of course I was slow casing it. Then he drove by me multiple times on the road. But the harassment at UPS is WAY worse!

I probably make $3/hr more now but it's seriously not worth it. Not even close. Not to me anyways. I have delivered to that postmaster and see letter carrier friends every day. I just act like I made a great decision and UPS is great, lol. If UPS was a 8 or 9 hour job and was done around 5:00 it would be a different world to me probably. But I often don't get home til 8:00 or 9:00 at night at UPS.

We've had 2 drivers quit within the last couple weeks. In my center I'm sure over 100 people have quit since I've been there...I'm including preloaders, supervisors etc. but that should tell you something. It's not a good place to work. That's my opinion anyways.
Never mind ... you gave a great recount and you're prolly right, UPS is not worth a $3/hr differential.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
This is a very nice surprise. No one mentioned it to me at the center.

To the OP: Do you also have another job that pays better than $16 an hour? If not, isn't it better to be making $16 an hour instead of zero an hour? What type of work are you qualified for to get more? You should definitely not work for UPS because you'll feel bitter the whole time and that's a real pleasure for any driver to put up with.

That is why I started at UPS as a seasonal, I got caught up in the 08/09 layoff and out of work for 2 years thought 16.10 an hour was awesome when you are not making anything. 6 years later and I am a top rate driver

Staydryitsraining

Part-time workers work in the hub, typically loading and unloading trucks until they have enough seniority to bid into a preferred job such as small sort, irregulars, clerk, etc. Mobility between these departments depends a lot on how big the hub is.

Starting pay is $8.50, but will be retroactively raised to $10/hr after the current TA is ratified. Skilled pay (being certified to sort or pick-off) adds $1/hr. PT'ers are guaranteed 3.5 hours/day (17.5 hours a week) and most get between 3.5 - 5 hours a day. The insurance is great, but I doubt you'll want to stick around if you need money that badly.
No one has started at 8.50 since 2013.

AsweetGirl

Is No Longer Affiliated With UPS
Got a sign at our center that says $24 for seasonal which is more than me in a four year progression which is crap.

How much did you start at? If you don't mind me asking...
And do you work part time or full time, when's the last time you received a raise? Have you made any incredible mistakes or even punched in late? Do you have any achievements or positive things that you've done that set you apart from other employees?

You should answer those types of questions and present it to your steward person. Not necessarily as a complaint but just as a fact, bring it to their attention.
That's something the union should override, not necessarily your boss's choice or fault.
But it's definitely presentable especially if you haven't had anything frownable on your employment record for x amount of days/weeks/months or years. Really tho.

Thats crap.
They should increase your wage to at least $24.80.
.20 per year of seniority above newly hired seasonal.